SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 10 January 2018, 11:40
Been There Done That

Rifling cutter/cleaner?

I searched, but can't find anything on this...

I'm looking for a tool that will, for lack of a better explaination, "re-cut" or deeply clean the rifling in a barrel...

I understand button rifling, etc, as an original process for rifling - but want to find a tool to clean up the rifling in some old barrels.

Any thoughts, ideas, links?
Old 10 January 2018, 11:44
Old Scroll

Cleaning out fouling from a rifle's bore is one thing, but recutting the rifling is entirely something else altogether. If the barrel is that worn, maybe it'll be cheaper (and more accurate) to simply get a new barrel?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 10 January 2018, 11:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Cleaning out fouling from a rifle's bore is one thing, but recutting the rifling is entirely something else altogether. If the barrel is that worn, maybe it'll be cheaper (and more accurate) to simply get a new barrel?
Yea, I know... But, these are weapons that have been handed down - and I plan on handing them down as well.

I need a project (like I need an extra hole in my head ) so I thought I'd try and put these back in as good a condition as I can...

Just a bench project.

I thought about just getting the appropriate button and forcing it through a barrel, but one would need to be very careful about the exact twist rate, etc.

I used to have a product called a "Retriever" for muzzle loader that did the job well and cleaned within the lands, but can find no such product for calibers that are lower than the typical muzzle loader...

You had to be VERY specific when ordering a Retriever about the barrel manufacturer and twist rate...
Old 11 January 2018, 04:59
BTDT

barrels

Before, you go and do that...

What I recommend, is you purchase a stainless steel bore brush corresponding w/as near the bore diameter as possible..not smaller than; but larger than, if not the same size.

Purchase some Lapping compound. Generously put the compound on the brush & run that through the bore 3-4 times. Clean & inspect.

Good shooting
Old 11 January 2018, 07:12
Been There Done That

Lapping compound, as in automotive valve lapping compound, sold at the car parts store.
Old 11 January 2018, 10:57
Six Minutes!

Soak the bore in Kroil for at least over night, then use JB Bore paste (mild lapping compound made for rifles). Embed a patch with the JB, and run it down with the tightest fitting jag possible on a one-piece cleaning rod.

Do this a few times, then use Wipe-Out brand foaming bore cleaner per instructions (must use Wipe-out brand, not the Gunslick knockoff).

If the bore still appears to be shot out, take a lood a JES Reboring. They can rebore to a slightly larger caliber using your original barrel.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 11 January 2018, 13:51
BTDT

The cheapest, messiest, and (probably) most time consuming would be lead lapping. Simply put, you cast a lead plug to be driven through the barrel which establishes twist and groove depth. Then you coat the plug with lapping compound and run it back and forth through the bore.

This is a reasonably complicated version: http://www.shootingtimesDOTcom/gunsm...barrel_200805/

Many guns shoot just fine with a shitty looking bore. Some not as shitty looking bores will keyhole at 25 yards. You won't know until you shoot them. If you want to pass on a usable rifle you could always rebore/rechamber to the next higher caliber. 270 to 30-06. 30-06 to 35 Whelan. etc.

There's also fire lapping which is used mostly for polishing a new bore. I don't know if people use it to clean up a corroded barrel or not. Basically you fire an abrasive bullet through the rifle to scour the bore. Start out with a coarse grit and end up with a fine grit. Some loaded ammo is available in more common calibers but as a general rule you need to reload.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.

Last edited by BigNickT; 11 January 2018 at 13:57.
Old 11 January 2018, 18:15
Been There Done That

Thanks everybody, I appreciate it. I will soak, then start with the stainless bore brush & lapping compound and see where that gets me.
Old 11 January 2018, 18:26
Make a desert and call it peace.

Also, the electrochemical cleaning method works great on awful fouling too, but the problem is often that the fouling smoothed out the worst pits and ridges and so the clean gun shoots worse than the fouled gun.

When using SS brushes, be sure to use plenty of light oil to float the crap up away from the surface. ATF(auto trans fluid) works great for this, as it's cheap and has a lot of carbon cutting detergents in it. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 12 January 2018, 19:31
Confirmed User

If the cleaning doesn't get you where you want to be you may consider reboring to a different caliber. JES reboring does a great job.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Thanks everybody, I appreciate it. I will soak, then start with the stainless bore brush & lapping compound and see where that gets me.
Be careful when you lap the bore, and with a steel brush...that (steel brush) wouldn't be my first choice. Try a gun dealer/gunsmith and have them check out the bore with a bore scope to see what needs to be done. As stated, if they are old and have been shot, cleaned with a metal bore brush many times--a new barrel is the way to go. Otherwise, consider them heirlooms and mantel pieces.

On a side note: When I lap a barrel, I use melted lead, run my lapping tube/bore rod down the barrel--pour in the lead into the barrel to make a lapping cylinder/slug. Push the cold lead slug out the end, slightly, just enough to saw off the nub and file it down smooth. For finished lapping this would be done about 20 strokes, nice and easy, being careful not to bend or deform the lead slug. Scope the barrel and make a few more laps as necessary...remember to apply clean lapping compound as the applications gets dirty...any kind of grit, old pieces of lead, etc. will likely scratch the fuck out of the bore.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:10
Shakin' the bush Boss

Not to be a smart ass, but clean em and shoot them first and see what they'll do. I've seen some bores that "looked" like hammered dogshit, but still shot very well.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Not to be a smart ass, but clean em and shoot them first and see what they'll do. I've seen some bores that "looked" like hammered dogshit, but still shot very well.
That's a Yep-Per!
Old 13 January 2018, 20:27
Shakin' the bush Boss

I had an old Stevens .270 once that was pitted and rusty and nasty when I got it. Maple stock and a barrel that looked like it was about the diameter of my little finger. Beat to shit, totally abused and neglected. I cleaned it and it was like a 1MOA rifle. Only problem was it weighed about 5lbs and in .270 it was like a rat turd, sharp on both ends. It was a real slobberknocker, but it would shoot.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
I had an old Stevens .270 once that was pitted and rusty and nasty when I got it. Maple stock and a barrel that looked like it was about the diameter of my little finger. Beat to shit, totally abused and neglected. I cleaned it and it was like a 1MOA rifle. Only problem was it weighed about 5lbs and in .270 it was like a rat turd, sharp on both ends. It was a real slobberknocker, but it would shoot.
I had a guy from the 82nd give me his 300 Weatherby Magnum--same thing, I cleaned it, did a bit of polishing, and it shot great. But I will say, that was the most shoulder stomping mutherfucker I've ever shot--brutal.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:36
Shakin' the bush Boss

What guns are you working on Sixgun?

I zeroed a lightweight M77 in 7mm Mag for a guy one time and I felt like I'd been in an MMA fight after about 10 rounds.
Old 13 January 2018, 21:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
What guns are you working on Sixgun? .
Several .22s, 7mm, 8mm, .308, -06, 30 Carbine, etc. Not all are in need of treatment...

I've shot all of them, just a couple that that (30 Carbine & .22s) that I don't like the outcome on the targets. ..

I want a project for the end of winter and this will keep me occupied :)
Old 13 January 2018, 21:26
Shakin' the bush Boss

Gotcha.
Old 15 January 2018, 00:44
BTDT

.22s probably won't lap out well. I'd think the rifling would disappear. But you can reline them. Not a difficult process and not too gawdawful expensive.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 15 January 2018, 14:08
Been There Done That

Thanks again everybody - projects are always a chance to learn something ...

Our new posting rules