SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 20 October 2009, 22:49
Confirmed User

Cool pictures. Loved seeing some of the older aircraft in the backgrounds of some of those pics.
Old 13 September 2020, 09:44

There is still some activity on this web page over on the helicopter section of the ARC Air Forum.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/...-back/page/36/

Page 35 and 36 feature some old pictures from the AVCRAD from what appears to be 1980 and some of the early MH-6Bs. Page 36 and 40 has some discussion and rare photos of what appear to be the illusive EH-6B. If anyone here has any additional info about the MH-6B and in particular the EH-6B, please post it up here and I'll share it back on ARC for the guys there. Thanks for anything anyone can offer.

LD.
Old 13 September 2020, 12:58
Been There Done That

Is this the same little helicopter that we used during the work-up for Honeybadger. 1st Batt. had classes on how to offload, fan out the propd and put the pins in. I wasn't a part of this element as I was working on newfangled FDC stuff, but sat around and talked to guys that were a part of it.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 13 September 2020, 17:58

Yes, the Little Bird was going to be one of the aircraft employed in Honey Badger. Initially with the MH-6B light transport. The AH-6C gunship was added to the package a little later. I'm not 100% sure if the EH-6B C&C/Radio Relay ship was going to be employed on the Honey Badger operation or not. I inclined to believe it was part of the Honey Badger TF158 fleet, given that it was fitted with a SATCOM radio. Thanks.

LD.
Old 17 September 2020, 10:11

I have read that the AH-6s deployed during Op Just Cause in Panama were armed with one minigun and one 19-shot rocket pod. It is mentioned in Michael Durant's book "The Night Stalkers" as well as on an online forum. Can anyone here confirm that the Just Cause AH-6s flew with that load - one mini and one 19-shot pod?

And if they did fly with the 19-shot pod, was it mounted on the same mount as the 7-shot pod, fitted to the jacking point/fuselage area under the right-rear door? Or was it on some other type of mount?

I understand that the gun plank wasn't deployed until the first Gulf War. Thanks for any assistance.

LD.
Old 17 September 2020, 13:17
Red Headed Stepchild

Where did you fly loaches?
Old 17 September 2020, 13:41

Ireland! There is one privately-owned here. Sadly I am not the owner. I have a handful of hours in it. N239MY is her reg.

LD.
Old 17 September 2020, 14:05
A/1/75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach Driver View Post
Ireland! There is one privately-owned here. Sadly I am not the owner. I have a handful of hours in it. N239MY is her reg.

LD.
What's the current color scheme?

Charlie
Old 17 September 2020, 14:06
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach Driver View Post

LD.
Very cool.
Old 17 September 2020, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
What's the current color scheme?
Black, as it happens. I don't know if the current owner painted it in that scheme as a nod to the 160th or not, but it resembles an early Little Bird. I think it was only ever a National Guard bird after Viet Nam, then police then was sold onto the private market. Been lucky to fly it a few times. Hopefully will get to fly it again post-Covid.

LD.
Old 17 September 2020, 23:08
Been There Done That

This thread reminds of the time I forgot to unhook as a cherry AG and at one point was dangling below said Little Bird... Lots of push ups later, I look back and laugh.
Old 18 September 2020, 19:58
Been There Done That

Great little aircraft. Always felt better knowing they were around and available. Fun to fly on that little ass thing. Especially in a hard bank, when your attached by a sling rope only looking straight down. Back in the day had a TF 160 pilot show me the grease pencil targeting system. Totally impressed with those guys.

Our new posting rules