SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 23 March 2019, 10:57
Been There Done That

Apollo 11

My 9y/o and myself went and saw this earlier this week. IMO, this was the best made documentary Ive ever seen. Not the best, but best made. There is no narrator. The only thing you hear is authentic radio transmissions, Walter Cronkite and music for dramatic effect. All footage is beautifuly remastered in HD as well. As someone was wasnt alive during this period of American history but always interested, I loved it!
Old 24 March 2019, 22:34
Been There Done That

My wife and I saw it as well, and felt the same way about it. I was pleased to see several families with their kids, giving them the background on the whole mission in the thirty minutes before the movie started. We all knew how the story ended, but it was still suspenseful at several key points in the movie. I think the latest documentary gave us an inside look at how many things could have gone wrong at many different points. What if the motor on the ascent stage of the lunar module hadn't fired, for example. What if the lunar module wasn't able to rendezvous with Michael Collins in orbit around the moon, etc.

Well worth the $15 and 2 hours spent.
Old 29 March 2019, 21:11
Confirmed User

Saw it today, well worth the price of admission.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:35
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Very well done! Watched this weekend.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident86 View Post
My wife and I saw it as well, and felt the same way about it. I was pleased to see several families with their kids, giving them the background on the whole mission in the thirty minutes before the movie started. We all knew how the story ended, but it was still suspenseful at several key points in the movie. I think the latest documentary gave us an inside look at how many things could have gone wrong at many different points. What if the motor on the ascent stage of the lunar module hadn't fired, for example. What if the lunar module wasn't able to rendezvous with Michael Collins in orbit around the moon, etc.

Well worth the $15 and 2 hours spent.
Engineering done perfectly. A “perfect” mission, and that is a rare thing.

What really surprised me was how long the three man crew had to stay in quarantine after returning to earth.

Ok, just gotta make the plug ......A PURDUE graduate, remember, was the first one - try to top that you Ivy Leaguers, IU hippies and Texas Aggies.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Ok, just gotta make the plug ......A PURDUE graduate, remember, was the first one - try to top that you Ivy Leaguers, IU hippies and Texas Aggies.
Reminds me of the joke....

More Astronauts have come from the state of Ohio than any other.

So what is it about that state that is driving so many men to leave this planet?
Old 20 May 2019, 10:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Reminds me of the joke....

More Astronauts have come from the state of Ohio than any other.

So what is it about that state that is driving so many men to leave this planet?
Da butt fugly fat wimmin da gots up dar. Since I’m not educated at Perdue, my spelling... .

I would post some pictures as evidence, but there is a socnet policy about posting those types.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:13
Problem Solver

FYI, for all those who can't catch "Apollo 11" in theatrical release before then, CNN will be airing it on June 23rd...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 20 May 2019, 12:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
FYI, for all those who can't catch "Apollo 11" in theatrical release before then, CNN will be airing it on June 23rd...
It is on Amazon Prime and Apple I tunes now for rent.
Old Yesterday, 13:47
Confirmed User

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Some of that footage was incredible. Very well done documentary.

But I thought the lunar landing was all a hoax filmed in a studio...??
Old Yesterday, 15:18
Been There Done That

Great doc...remember the teachers wheeling in TV sets when I was a grade schooling tot so every child could watch each lift off--and again at reentry.
Old Yesterday, 15:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Some of that footage was incredible. Very well done documentary.

But I thought the lunar landing was all a hoax filmed in a studio...??
That was just a jealous rumor started by Indiana University.
Old Yesterday, 15:42
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident86 View Post
We all knew how the story ended, but it was still suspenseful at several key points in the movie.
Doesn't matter how many times I see it or where but my palms sweat every time I watch last that couple minutes before the landing. What gigantic balls.

Fantastic documentary.
Old Yesterday, 15:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Doesn't matter how many times I see it or where but my palms sweat every time I watch last that couple minutes before the landing. What gigantic balls.

Fantastic documentary.
Continues to amaze me how calm and professional the Astronauts were. Like just another boring Monday morning drive to work.
Old Yesterday, 15:54
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Continues to amaze me how calm and professional the Astronauts were. Like just another boring Monday morning drive to work.
If you haven't seen the 60 minutes Neil Armstrong segment google it, worth watching is an understatement if you're a space nerd like I am.

Ejected at the last second from a lunar module simulator, got a wing or two in the chute and then went back to the office. Went to the moon and then shunned the publicity for it.

I don't buy into the "made 'em different in those days" idea but they sure selected the right ones.
Old Yesterday, 16:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
If you haven't seen the 60 minutes Neil Armstrong segment google it, worth watching is an understatement if you're a space nerd like I am.

Ejected at the last second from a lunar module simulator, got a wing or two in the chute and then went back to the office. Went to the moon and then shunned the publicity for it.

I don't buy into the "made 'em different in those days" idea but they sure selected the right ones.
You would hope the ones selected these days are chosen from the same caliber, qualifications, selection process. But I am sure there are some politics/diversity issues. As there were back then as well, but for different reasons.
Old Today, 00:03
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
You would hope the ones selected these days are chosen from the same caliber, qualifications, selection process. But I am sure there are some politics/diversity issues. As there were back then as well, but for different reasons.
About the worst thing (known to the public) done by any of the original Mercury Seven group involved Gus Grissom smuggling a few rolls of Mercury dimes in his flight suit aboard Liberty Bell 7. It nearly cost him his life when the capsule sank.

About the worst thing done by post-Apollo astronauts involved an astronaut driving interstate wearing diapers to settle a jealousy score in a lovers triangle. It ended her short career.

The thrill, public captivation, and national pride felt during the heady days of Projects Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo came to a climax in July, 1969, with the Apollo 11 mission. I don’t think we will ever see the likes of those days again.

Now I feel the need to dig out my old copy of “The Right Stuff” and read it again. Can it really be 50 years ago next month?
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old Today, 00:07
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
I dont think we will ever see the likes of those days again.
We will. When a spacecraft bearing a US Flag puts boots on Mars.
Old Today, 00:37
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
We will. When a spacecraft bearing a US Flag puts boots on Mars.
That will indeed be a major event, and if successful will be glorious for maybe a year.

But those days to which I referred was an entire decade. From the selection of the Mercury Seven in 1960 to the last Apollo mission in December of 1972, but peaking in July of 1969, astronauts and the space program were all the rage. Thats gone now.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes

Our new posting rules