SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 21 May 2019, 07:47
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Yeah, that sounds much easier than giving my local gun store $125 to Cerekote the gun.
Why not do both, then report back?
Old 21 May 2019, 08:38
Confirmed User

AZ and lite: much appreciated.
Old 25 July 2019, 02:56
Been There Done That

OK. Calling all gunsmiths.

I bought a Winchester model 1300 pump 12 ga from a guy that was a dumbass and can't own guns anymore.
I've had 3 yrs plus. Its 2 3/4 chamber. Factory barrel had front & rear sights but the rear sight was filed off or something at 1 point. I had a guy put a fiber sight where the front use to be.

It has an ugliness about it with that barrel. Shoots well and I only got $140 in it. Killed a small buck with it using a little Kentucky windage the year I bought it. It has the Winchoke barrel about 30" I guess. I dont know the manufacturer's date it was made.

Looking for a shorter barrel in 24 -26 inch range. Would like to keep the winchoke option. No vented rib. I dont need the barrel as from the factory with a rear sight.

Question is should I go w/new barrel or will a used one from a number of places marry up to it okay?

Good wood on stock & forearm. Receiver has good factory bluing. Tore it down & gave it a good cleaning upon purchase.

I like the short throw on the pump action. Looking at hunting anything up to turkeys.

Karl Childers

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 25 July 2019 at 03:02.
Old 25 July 2019, 18:58
Confirmed User

1SG, I am not an gunsmith. Quick question (ok maybe two): Why sink more cash into a modified, uncared for (aside from you) shotgun ? Near as I can tell, the same gun in great condition, runs approx. ~$350. Why not invest in something (perhaps another 1300 in like new) and commit your current one for home defense? Much respect.
Old 25 July 2019, 20:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post
1SG, I am not an gunsmith. Quick question (ok maybe two): Why sink more cash into a modified, uncared for (aside from you) shotgun ? Near as I can tell, the same gun in great condition, runs approx. ~$350. Why not invest in something (perhaps another 1300 in like new) and commit your current one for home defense? Much respect.
I understand what your saying. Home defense is already covered very well with several firearms that hold more than 5 rds.

It functions well. I just need a shorter barrel w/winchoke ideally 24-26 inches. This is a shotgun I can get in the thickets with where the rabbits are and the versatility to change chokes for say turkey. Not too worried about scratching it up but the 30" barrel is a pain in those thicket conditions.

So used or new makes the price difference in the barrel.

Karl Childers
Old 26 July 2019, 07:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
OK. Calling all gunsmiths.

I bought a Winchester model 1300 pump 12 ga from a guy that was a dumbass and can't own guns anymore.
I've had 3 yrs plus. Its 2 3/4 chamber. Factory barrel had front & rear sights but the rear sight was filed off or something at 1 point. I had a guy put a fiber sight where the front use to be.

It has an ugliness about it with that barrel. Shoots well and I only got $140 in it. Killed a small buck with it using a little Kentucky windage the year I bought it. It has the Winchoke barrel about 30" I guess. I dont know the manufacturer's date it was made.

Looking for a shorter barrel in 24 -26 inch range. Would like to keep the winchoke option. No vented rib. I dont need the barrel as from the factory with a rear sight.

Question is should I go w/new barrel or will a used one from a number of places marry up to it okay?

Good wood on stock & forearm. Receiver has good factory bluing. Tore it down & gave it a good cleaning upon purchase.

I like the short throw on the pump action. Looking at hunting anything up to turkeys.
I only did the online gunsmithing course through www.sdi.edu ...

With that said, unless it has had 1000's of rounds through it a new to you barrel should be fine. Obviously you will want to look at the barrel and bolt lock up and make sure there are no gaping holes where there aren't any now.

Shotguns operate at <15K PSI pressure wise and rifles are as high as 50K, pistols in the middle around 30K, a new barrel/bolt combo is a little trickier with a rifle.
Old 26 July 2019, 15:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post

With that said, unless it has had 1000's of rounds through it a new to you barrel should be fine. Obviously you will want to look at the barrel and bolt lock up and make sure there are no gaping holes where there aren't any now.

Shotguns operate at <15K PSI pressure wise and rifles are as high as 50K, pistols in the middle around 30K, a new barrel/bolt combo is a little trickier with a rifle.
Thanks man. Actually the shotgun was used very little. The guy that had it inherited it from his Dad who drowned in New River a few years back. He didn't even hunt but where he is now he wont need it for at least the next 5 years. He had to get rid of it and I got it cheap.

Karl Childers
Old 26 July 2019, 17:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Thanks man. Actually the shotgun was used very little. The guy that had it inherited it from his Dad who drowned in New River a few years back. He didn't even hunt but where he is now he wont need it for at least the next 5 years. He had to get rid of it and I got it cheap.
I have a Remington 870 that I put close to 10K through and bought a brand new rifled slug barrel. A friend of mine was an armorer and we did the eye ball check and I have had zero issues with the old bolt/new barrel on that gun.
Old 26 July 2019, 17:33
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post
Why sink more cash into a modified, uncared for (aside from you) shotgun ?
Can't speak for 1SG, but personally I have a hard time writing off a firearm if it just needs a little work. Rehabilitating one is satisfying in a way I can't really explain.

P.S.

Quote:
How was it? Been thinking about doing that for awhile.
Old 26 July 2019, 19:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
I have a Remington 870 that I put close to 10K through and bought a brand new rifled slug barrel. A friend of mine was an armorer and we did the eye ball check and I have had zero issues with the old bolt/new barrel on that gun.
Thanks Hawk. My FFL guy is an old 80's era 10th Group guy. I'll have him to check out the fit.

Karl Childers
Old 28 July 2019, 04:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

How was it? Been thinking about doing that for awhile.
It was good. You end up with:
A little bit of knowledge, that opens your eyes to a whole bunch of other places to gain gun/smithing knowledge.
The start of a basic tool set, that again gives you an idea of all the other things out there.
Some great reference manuals. I opted for the digital ones, if I were to do it over I'd get the hard copy ones.
A bit of networking with the other students and instructors.

The writing assignments were very simple and the instructors were willing to work with you if you needed an extra day or two due to busy schedules/life.

I did the 1911 for my capstone project. I like the 1911 knowledge and it is a more difficult project than building up an 80% AR-10 or 15. Though I would get more use out of the 80% AR-10 build.

Our new posting rules