SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 24 May 2019, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
The whole processed food thing is a treacherous lifestyle impediment masking as convenience.
So true.
Old 25 May 2019, 10:54
Authorized Personnel

You may want to look into a trip to a beef raising area where you can purchase a half of beef to bring back. If prices are that high, a half cow would more than save you money.

My steer is about ready to be butchered here in a few more weeks. I'm not sure what I will do with a whole cow now that the kids are gone and I am gone more than I am home. I will eat good while I am home though....
Old 25 May 2019, 15:48
been ***** **** that

One other inexpensive and entertaining way to stock the freezer is to buy an archery or rifle tag and drive around the roads at night, slowly, during the rut if possible. Pack a lunch and a thermos and crank the tunes. You will fill the freezer!
Old 26 May 2019, 14:40
In Vino Veritas

I looked at this when I was living with TF, the crux was the freezer space. IME farmers markets are over priced. There are some decent farms in the adjoining area where I live but I’m forced to pay yuppie prices, so that’s a no go.

As for deer you would have to have a deer tag in CA, and it’s a lottery system, so there goes that idea. Plus, deer in CA can’t be shot by Euros, no idea but it’s the law. Something about pointy shoes.

I’d say your best chance is research a cattle farm and see if you can go direct. With the money to be made I’m sure there are business models that are direct to the consumer to cut out the middle man. I’ve been using my current time to do minor research about leasing land and raising cattle. There are ways to graze the cattle so they need less acreage, and they’re cows, how much care could they take? Certainly not as much as a Belgian malinois and a zodiac.
Old 26 May 2019, 14:44
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've got a local guy I buy from each year. I pay by the pound on the hoof, then have a local butcher that processes it for .55 per pound. My guy grass feeds all year, then puts the grain to them about a month before slaughter. I get in a whole steer for about the price per pound I pay for store burger so I get all the steaks and roasts and stuff at burger prices. I know it's not full or 'roids and other shit.
Old 26 May 2019, 14:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I looked at this when I was living with TF, the crux was the freezer space. IME farmers markets are over priced. There are some decent farms in the adjoining area where I live but Iím forced to pay yuppie prices, so thatís a no go.

As for deer you would have to have a deer tag in CA, and itís a lottery system, so there goes that idea. Plus, deer in CA canít be shot by Euros, no idea but itís the law. Something about pointy shoes.

Iíd say your best chance is research a cattle farm and see if you can go direct. With the money to be made Iím sure there are business models that are direct to the consumer to cut out the middle man. Iíve been using my current time to do minor research about leasing land and raising cattle. There are ways to graze the cattle so they need less acreage, and theyíre cows, how much care could they take? Certainly not as much as a Belgian malinois and a zodiac.
This post is so full of inside-joke knowledge

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 26 May 2019, 15:00
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I've got a local guy I buy from each year. I pay by the pound on the hoof, then have a local butcher that processes it for .55 per pound. My guy grass feeds all year, then puts the grain to them about a month before slaughter. I get in a whole steer for about the price per pound I pay for store burger so I get all the steaks and roasts and stuff at burger prices. I know it's not full or 'roids and other shit.
Thatís bad ass. Sadly I have one of them there fancy ďPorschasĒ in my sad one car garage so I donít have the room for a freezer.
Old 26 May 2019, 15:00
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
This post is so full of inside-joke knowledge
LOL, I was thinking that as I wrote it.
Old 26 May 2019, 15:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Thatís bad ass. Sadly I have one of them there fancy ďPorschasĒ in my sad one car garage so I donít have the room for a freezer.
First world problems of a HotMess.

Old 26 May 2019, 16:59
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've got two full size stand up freezers. One for beef, one for "other". My guy I buy from has a small farm and runs about 20 head of cattle and any time I want it I can buy half or whole hog locally. Throw in some deer and fish and the only meat I buy from the "store" is chicken.

Can't help ya on the Porsche problem. If you show up to buy a cow in a Porsche with your ascot and pointy shoes you're going to get charged more just on general principle.
Old 26 May 2019, 17:11
Been There Done That

Hot Mess and MixedLoad ....Millenials...sigh..
Old 26 May 2019, 17:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
I've got two full size stand up freezers. One for beef, one for "other". My guy I buy from has a small farm and runs about 20 head of cattle and any time I want it I can buy half or whole hog locally. Throw in some deer and fish and the only meat I buy from the "store" is chicken.

Can't help ya on the Porsche problem. If you show up to buy a cow in a Porsche with your ascot and pointy shoes you're going to get charged more just on general principle.
How much they charge you when you pull up in your Subaru with your Coexist number sticker?
Old 26 May 2019, 17:23
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
How much they charge you when you pull up in your Subaru with your Coexist number sticker?
That's just mean spirited.

But funny.
Old 26 May 2019, 17:46
Shakin' the bush Boss

Where I live is full of hippies. Subaru never gets a second look. It's not Asheville NC hippie, but a smaller version.

Point of clarity, I finally got the heat gun out and took the Coexist sticker off a couple of months ago.
Old 26 May 2019, 17:48
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
I finally got the heat gun out and took the Coexist sticker off a couple of months ago.
Weak

Should have doubled down with a hope and change sticker.
Old 26 May 2019, 19:07
Unemployed Stunt Double

So...this afternoon I schlepped up the road to the Pulperia, and bought a chayote, an onion, a fresh cut of carne de res, and some Salsa Inglesa. Cooked it, ate it. Done. Benefits of living in a developing nation, I guess. I also bought Sparkling Ice Kiwi Strawberry...cuz...it's got antioxidants, says so right on the bottle. Clean living...
Old 28 May 2019, 11:24
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
I've never hunted before, but in this case I can clearly see the benefit. Finding the time will be the challenge for me. I'll look into it. Do you hunt?
If this is something youre interested in, all kidding aside, let me know, and I'll get you hooked up..

It would call for a bit of travel (to TX, CO, or TN) until you figure out a place closer to home to hunt..

but if you want to give it a shot a couple of times and see what you think prior to investing time and money in the gear, a lease, scouting public land, etc..etc..etc.. I'm happy to provide location(s), rifles, etc.. and see if we can land you a fat mule deer, whitetail, or an elk this fall..

you wont find a more lean, organic, protein..

doesnt hurt that it is super tasty too..

probably 15-20% of all protein eaten in my house is "game" meat.. between the ducks, geese, hogs, deer, elk, etc.. and the bass and trout there are plenty of options to keep the variety up..

we dont really do it for health or money saving purposes (although both are significant positives).. we do it because we (both the wife and I) really enjoy hunting.. and its so damn delicious..
Old 28 May 2019, 17:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
If this is something youre interested in, all kidding aside, let me know, and I'll get you hooked up..

It would call for a bit of travel (to TX, CO, or TN) until you figure out a place closer to home to hunt..

but if you want to give it a shot a couple of times and see what you think prior to investing time and money in the gear, a lease, scouting public land, etc..etc..etc.. I'm happy to provide location(s), rifles, etc.. and see if we can land you a fat mule deer, whitetail, or an elk this fall..

you wont find a more lean, organic, protein..

doesnt hurt that it is super tasty too..

probably 15-20% of all protein eaten in my house is "game" meat.. between the ducks, geese, hogs, deer, elk, etc.. and the bass and trout there are plenty of options to keep the variety up..

we dont really do it for health or money saving purposes (although both are significant positives).. we do it because we (both the wife and I) really enjoy hunting.. and its so damn delicious..
Yes, please! Never hunted once before. Nope...never, ever evah!
Old 28 May 2019, 18:47
exquisitus asinus

PM sent!
Old 29 May 2019, 19:22
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Your incredibly generous offer and informative post
Yes. I'm in and in the same boat as RSP.

Our new posting rules