SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 25 May 2019, 21:16
Moving Target

Boko Haram in Nigeria

https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...in-nine-years/

I just finished talking to a Christian friend in Nigeria and he wants to leave Nigeria. I hope he gets his family out of there. I don't understand why Boko Harman is allowed to continue the murdering and taking over a nation. I would like to know why this is allowed to continue and what is the UN doing.
Old 25 May 2019, 22:03
Administrator

UN is doing nothing. Why would they even if they could?
Old 25 May 2019, 22:43
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
UN is doing nothing. Why would they even if they could?
I didn't really think the UN would do anything, they are all worthless but I pray Boko Haram is stopped soon. I don't want to hear about anymore villages being wiped out by the murdering pieces of shit!
Old 25 May 2019, 22:58
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

The Hausa are the majority population in a democracy. Even if many are Muslim in name only and many more are Muslim but uninterested in terrorism, you still have a majority population that won't lift a finger to stop Boko Haram and will stand up against any criticism of them that could be perceived as a criticism of Islam. The nominally Christian Ibo population tried to secede from Nigeria and form their own nation of Biafra a half century ago, but it didn't work out well for them, and I don't think they have the stomach to lose another couple of million people trying again. I have a Christian friend from Togo who lives in central Nigeria now, and according to him an Islamist takeover of the society is not imminent but is likely just a matter of time.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 25 May 2019, 23:11
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
The Hausa are the majority population in a democracy. Even if many are Muslim in name only and many more are Muslim but uninterested in terrorism, you still have a majority population that won't lift a finger to stop Boko Haram and will stand up against any criticism of them that could be perceived as a criticism of Islam. The nominally Christian Ibo population tried to secede from Nigeria and form their own nation of Biafra a half century ago, but it didn't work out well for them, and I don't think they have the stomach to lose another couple of million people trying again. I have a Christian friend from Togo who lives in central Nigeria now, and according to him an Islamist takeover of the society is not imminent but is likely just a matter of time.
I will help my friend get his family out of the country, he is considering Angola.
Old 26 May 2019, 06:20
been ***** **** that

I have not been keeping up with this at all. I do know we have some very strong mission presence in Kenya, Malawi and Zambia, probably some others but I am not aware of those. I pray your friends can get out of there ,safely. I thought Michelle was taking care of all this mess a few years back!
Old 26 May 2019, 08:06
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I thought Michelle was taking care of all this mess a few years back!
I guess hashtags didn't win that war...odd...
Old 26 May 2019, 08:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...in-nine-years/

I just finished talking to a Christian friend in Nigeria and he wants to leave Nigeria. I hope he gets his family out of there. I don't understand why Boko Harman is allowed to continue the murdering and taking over a nation. I would like to know why this is allowed to continue and what is the UN doing.
The UN, supposedly, is focused on Mali. In truth, they're just IED magnets. The European powers, i.e. France, UK, Germany, etc. are doing the heavy lifting and trying to take the fight to JNIM, ISILWA and BH.

Nigeria is the largest country by population in Africa; and predominately (51%) Muslim. Nigeria is larger in area and population than the Middle East (Israel, Lebanon, Syria, and Iran). No one outside of Nigeria, really wants to engage in Nigeria against ISILWA or BH. So, the Nigerian government has to solve that problem on their own.

Most of the terrorist activity takes place in Borno or Yobe state, in northeast Nigeria. Borno sits on the quad-border area of Nigeria, Niger, Chad, and Cameroon; which makes it a convenient spot to carry out terrorist activities; because the terrorists can scoot across the border in almost any direction in response to CT activity.

It's a mess, but it's Nigeria's mess for now.
Old 26 May 2019, 08:39
Shakin' the bush Boss

20 years ago I would have been like "Yeah, lets's go clean that rat's nest out". Today, not so much. We all know how that story ends.
Old 26 May 2019, 09:05
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
The UN, supposedly, is focused on Mali. In truth, they're just IED magnets. The European powers, i.e. France, UK, Germany, etc. are doing the heavy lifting and trying to take the fight to JNIM, ISILWA and BH.

Nigeria is the largest country by population in Africa; and predominately (51%) Muslim. Nigeria is larger in area and population than the Middle East (Israel, Lebanon, Syria, and Iran). No one outside of Nigeria, really wants to engage in Nigeria against ISILWA or BH. So, the Nigerian government has to solve that problem on their own.
Thanks for that, I know very little about it except what I read and see on the news. I was told by my friend that the President of Nigeria is muslim and they do very little to help .

Most of the terrorist activity takes place in Borno or Yobe state, in northeast Nigeria. Borno sits on the quad-border area of Nigeria, Niger, Chad, and Cameroon; which makes it a convenient spot to carry out terrorist activities; because the terrorists can scoot across the border in almost any direction in response to CT activity.

Thanks for that, I know very little about it except what I read and see on the news. I was told by my friend that the President of Nigeria is muslim and they do very little to help .
Old 26 May 2019, 10:00
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
20 years ago I would have been like "Yeah, lets's go clean that rat's nest out". Today, not so much. We all know how that story ends.
Twenty-some years ago, Executive Outcomes could have sent BH running for the hills. Oops, someone fucked that up. A few years ago, a small number of former EO employees (mostly in their 50s and 60s) routed BH quite handily, but the Nigeria government couldn't do their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I was told by my friend that the President of Nigeria is muslim and they do very little to help .
Every people have the government they deserve. Why should the UN do for Nigeria what the Nigerians won't do for themselves?
Old 26 May 2019, 14:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
A few years ago, a small number of former EO employees (mostly in their 50s and 60s) routed BH quite handily, but the Nigeria government couldn't do their part.
Because “Clear, Hold, Build,” really be like “Clear, Leave, Return, Clear Again, Repeat.”

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

"Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation." -Me

"I know it upsets you, but the purpose of the game is to perpetuate the game." -Me
Old 26 May 2019, 14:49
Been There Done That

Where exactly does your 'friend' live? If not in some very specific areas of the north, which I doubt.. I would recommend you Google 419 scams and wish him the best in his travels. https://ng.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/scams/
Old 26 May 2019, 19:40
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Where exactly does your 'friend' live? If not in some very specific areas of the north, which I doubt.. I would recommend you Google 419 scams and wish him the best in his travels. https://ng.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/scams/
I'm not a fool.
Old 27 May 2019, 01:35
been ***** **** that

Quote:
I guess hashtags didn't win that war...odd...
I know, and that is why I put it out of mind, seeing that FLOTUS was then taking things into her own hands. Fast forward a few years and the only folks I see doing anything productive over there were some former "hard chargers." I was honored to know they were doing what they could and were they allowed to operate on a much larger scale, I doubt BH would still be existing!
Old 27 May 2019, 05:50
BTDT

Kony 2012!!!!!! Oh, wait, my bad....
Old 27 May 2019, 08:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Twenty-some years ago, Executive Outcomes could have sent BH running for the hills. Oops, someone fucked that up. A few years ago, a small number of former EO employees (mostly in their 50s and 60s) routed BH quite handily, but the Nigeria government couldn't do their part.
Yep. We have the UN and the US to thank for breaking up EO.
Old 27 May 2019, 08:38
Confirmed User

Yea, Michelle was running, leading that program.. Not a damn thing happened.
Africa is a bad place. Not a place to try and put roots down. No leadership, no stability..
South Africa is killing white farmers, media doesnt care.
Congo region has some serious issues with mines that has Uranium, and no real securitys...
Its a cesspool, and since there is no real oil, no one really cares in the UN.
There are much better places to be in Africa, have your friend work his way out.
Old 27 May 2019, 09:02
Hard to Kill

I just got back from West Africa and the coalitions that were kicking BH's ass have broken up a bit to take some time to go and kill their own countrymen in support of the elections. (Nigeria, Cameroon, CAR and Chad). Typical stuff.
Old 27 May 2019, 09:36
Moving Target

I wish EO was still active, if they were BH would be gone most likely.

Our new posting rules