SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 March 2016, 11:55
Been There Done That

Crossovers

No, you scuba bubbles I'm not talking about your former fun in the community pool. I'm taking about the automobile industry and all the same looking vehicles in this category. I bought the old lady a 2016 KIA Sorrento last fall. (Only the best for my baby) It was assembled in Georgia. After driving awhile I noticed every other 3rd car on the road looked the same. Honda's version, Mitsubishi, Jeeps Cherokee, Hyundai's Sante Fe & Tuscon, Ford's Escape GM has a couple including the Buick Enclave (which was my second choice as I'm a GM guy & it's absolutely packed with options) I'm not even going to mention the expensive imports. Any owners? Reviews?

Karl Childers
Old 21 March 2016, 11:57
A/1/75

Have a Friend with a 2014 Sorrento, went to trade it in and it was 1/2 of the owed value...
Not sure if Kia retains value or not.
The next Enclave is coming from China, based on one of their cars. Much smaller.

Charlie
Old 21 March 2016, 12:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
Have a Friend with a 2014 Sorrento, went to trade it in and it was 1/2 of the owed value...
Not sure if Kia retains value or not.
The next Enclave is coming from China, based on one of their cars. Much smaller.

I've heard that about the KIA but with the excellent warranty they have, she'll be in it a long time.

Karl Childers
Old 21 March 2016, 12:13
Confirmed User

Daughter has a Tucson solid vehicle. My next vehicle may be Hyundai really solid product 10 year 100k of course fine print, but still. Could be the future Toyota.
Old 21 March 2016, 12:28
Confirmed User

My best friend and another good colleague at work have Subaru Crosstreks. I've driving the Crosstrek, and I love it. Notwithstanding HH6's complaints that it's missing amenities (power seats) and she found the ride uncomfortable -- it rides like the sporty crossover it is, not like HH6's buick enclave (which I find uncomfortable) -- and "you're only interested in that because [friend] has one", I am pretty much certain one will be my next car.
Old 21 March 2016, 12:47
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I'm a little reluctant to drive something emblazoned with the acronym for killed in action.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 21 March 2016, 12:51
Been There Done That

I don't understand this gayness called a "crossover." Why not just get a USA labor built 4 door, 4WD truck? To me, a crossover is another symbol of pussification. It's a fucking minivan crossdressed to be hipster cool.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 21 March 2016, 12:54
Been There Done That

Good friend, who works for a Cadillac dealership, drives the Cadillac Crossover SRX model. That vehicle is nice!

Not something I would personally buy, but it rides very nice if you are looking for a more luxurious Crossover SUV.
Old 21 March 2016, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
I don't understand this gayness called a "crossover." Why not just get a USA labor built 4 door, 4WD truck? To me, a crossover is another symbol of pussification. It's a fucking minivan crossdressed to be hipster cool.
Women like them. Especially new mommies around my age that don't want the typical "suv/soccermom van".
Old 21 March 2016, 13:03
Confirmed User

Mazda cx5. Killer gas mileage, best handling of the bunch. My wife got a prius v instead, and regrets the soul sucking outcome.
Old 21 March 2016, 13:06
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar
I don't understand this gayness called a "crossover." Why not just get a USA labor built 4 door, 4WD truck?
From the few I have seen, and ridden in -- crossovers seem to be striving to give people a ride with a little more height, but not too much to have the uncomfortableness of a SUV or truck.

As I get older, I find that crawling down into a car (ie BMW325) is not much fun (or worse, getting out of it). I'm also not a huge fan of the rollover characteristics of SUVs and pickups, nor of the general ride -- although they have gotten much better.

Crossovers -- some of them -- seem to be filling the gap decently. I am in the process of choosing the next car for my daughter (daily ride) and it will likely be a crossover, although I am not too fond of the really small ones (I want her to have some protection/mass around her)....
Old 21 March 2016, 13:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Women like them. Especially new mommies around my age that don't want the typical "suv/soccermom van".
Fathers also, who would rather not drive a mini-van.
Old 21 March 2016, 13:22
Darwin Award Presenter

I traded in my V8 Explorer for a Nissan Rogue 4X4 when gas was expensive . I miss the power, and the mass for protection.

That said, the Rogue is very quick for a 4 cylinder, and has modest cargo hauling abilities, and the maintenance has been quite reasonable.

Now I am in the market for a 4X4 pickup. As other shave stated, these old bones make it tough to get in and out of the cars that seem lower than ever to the ground.
Old 21 March 2016, 13:23
Freelancer

Quote:

Spot on rather walk than drive one of those my dick would turn into a vagina.
Old 21 March 2016, 13:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Spot on rather walk than drive one of those my dick would turn into a vagina.
I should have used the sarcasm emoticon in my original post. I was giving the thread a hard time on purpose.

Maybe I'll buy one when I'm in my eighties and need a softer ride. Right now my Texas hi-toney Truck rides just fine. Besides, my penis looks a lot bigger when I drive it.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 21 March 2016, 14:45
FNG

The wife has a new Rav4, and I have to say I dig it. Its got all the goodies in it, heated seats, back up camera. Meanwhile, I still drive a 00 Honda Accord.
Old 21 March 2016, 14:51
Preparing to defend

Kia, owned by Hyundai, has improved dramatically since the merger. I am on my second one (sedan) and am quite pleased. My friends that own the Sorrento or other models are very pleased, also.

And you're right, Abnrgr1sg, all vehicles tend to look alike anymore. My previous Optima looked like a Taurus or a Camry
Old 21 March 2016, 16:10
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
It's already been stated, it's a minivan that doesn't have the stigma of the minivan (yet)

Cars all look alike because of the laws of physics as well as laws and NTSB regulations regarding safety, CAFE milage, etc.

It's really killing me that you can barely get anything with a manual transmission anymore that's not a dedicated sports car, with the effing sports car price tag. Or a effing pickup truck that costs $45k for a "base model." S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith

ďThe consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.Ē
- Robert E. Lee
Old 21 March 2016, 16:13
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

You can never go wrong with the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
Old 21 March 2016, 16:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
You can never go wrong with the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
LOL! You know what's sad? My old man bought my Mom a '79 Ford Town and Country Station Wagon that looked a lot like that.

Our new posting rules