SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 April 2019, 18:53
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I use white oak and hickory most of the time due to having a lot of it around. I also make my own oak charcoal from time to time.
Before I reluctantly moved to WI., I do not recall any bad chow cooked in the high country over a coniferous fire, not that I would use it to smoke now, but it did not suck!
Old 28 April 2019, 19:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
Before I reluctantly moved to WI., I do not recall any bad chow cooked in the high country over a coniferous fire, not that I would use it to smoke now, but it did not suck!
Yeah we're pretty limited on our smoking wood. Alder is about the most plentiful but I really only like it for fish. Other meats I like to use fruit wood.
Old 29 April 2019, 09:51
Anesthetized User

I use a mix of Cherry and Pecan for everything. I smoked some bacon with Alder and it came out very nice.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 29 April 2019, 10:14
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post

I use a mix of Cherry and Pecan for everything. I smoked some bacon with Alder and it came out very nice.
How did the BBQ contest-judging go this weekend?

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 29 April 2019, 10:36
Anesthetized User

It went well. So far everyone has been really cool. There were 48 teams. I only had one brisket sample that was tough and cold. I wouldn't have turned it in.

Had some very good ribs. Found out I like my pork belly burnt ends better than brisket burnt ends.

Free BBQ and I get to have an opinion about it so win win.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 2 May 2019, 15:28
Shakin' the bush Boss

Salmon and halibut on the smoker with hickory chips doing the smoke.

Tony Roma creole seasoning
Dried onion flakes
Old-good-on-everything-but-pussy-and-icecream-Bay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0983.JPG (110.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 2 May 2019, 15:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Old-good-on-everything-but-pussy-and-icecream-Bay
Inquiring minds want to know, how do you know???
Old 10 May 2019, 19:50
been ***** **** that

Probably my last meal on the woodstove this year and I am unemployed right now and too soon for garden produce so I cooked a meal with weeds from the yard. Only dandelion and plantain available right now, with rice and venison sausage. I do not need a phuquing grocery store!
Old 10 May 2019, 19:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Probably my last meal on the woodstove this year and I am unemployed right now and too soon for garden produce so I cooked a meal with weeds from the yard. Only dandelion and plantain available right now, with rice and venison sausage. I do not need a phuquing grocery store!
Poke...but make sure you know what you're doing. Always a spring staple of mine
Old 10 May 2019, 20:01
Shakin' the bush Boss

Stop taking care of yourself like that. It's the governments' job to feed, house and clothe you. Deplorable.
Old 10 May 2019, 21:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
I have a Marine buddy that lives out here that would go on the "fend for yourself" challenge every year, which consisted only eating what he found, grew, or killed, with the exception made for beer. This ended a few years ago after he ended up in the ER after eating some bad coral mushrooms...
Old 11 May 2019, 07:26
Been There Done That

Coral shrooms aren't among my favorites, cooked like a blooming onion isn't bad, but I usually pick them for folks who like that woody whole foods, soccer mommy earthy taste...stay white are you're usually good to go. Red coral or when the coral is dated and turns yellowish, often pulpy to the touch is a pass when I'm out nosing around. They do have a pronounced laxative effect is some folks....oysters are my favorites of all time, chantrelles run a close second.
Old 11 May 2019, 12:30
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Stop taking care of yourself like that. It's the governments' job to feed, house and clothe you. Deplorable.

I know, GS dude! Poor, poor, deplorable me! I ate a whole pan of dandelions, cleaned me out pretty good later! I like purslane, mallow, curly dock, in my chow but they are not up yet!
Old 11 May 2019, 12:34
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I have a Marine buddy that lives out here that would go on the "fend for yourself" challenge every year, which consisted only eating what he found, grew, or killed, with the exception made for beer. This ended a few years ago after he ended up in the ER after eating some bad coral mushrooms...
I have eaten corals only a few times, mostly out west. Did not care for them, mostly ate chanterelles, and king boletes . My skills are a bit rusty this year , but I have perused and tasted most of the edibles in this area, quite the cornucopia if one can take the time.
Old 11 May 2019, 12:34
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Coral shrooms aren't among my favorites, cooked like a blooming onion isn't bad, but I usually pick them for folks who like that woody whole foods, soccer mommy earthy taste...stay white are you're usually good to go. Red coral or when the coral is dated and turns yellowish, often pulpy to the touch is a pass when I'm out nosing around. They do have a pronounced laxative effect is some folks....oysters are my favorites of all time, chantrelles run a close second.
Morels are my favorite.
Old 11 May 2019, 12:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Morels are my favorite.
Don't get me wrong, morels are great...but done right, and for sheer versatility--the oyster gets my vote every time. Throw them in some Asian stir fry with a spicy/sweet sauce, their meatiness steals the show. I've done some lion's mane, again...earthy as hell but has some valuable medicinal purposes--hen and chicken of the woods, cooked any way possible is pretty damn tasty. Lobster, turkey tail and a few other spores aren't worth my time as their taste doesn't suit my palate--but to each their own.
Old 11 May 2019, 13:00
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, morels are great...but done right, and for sheer versatility--the oyster gets my vote every time. Throw them in some Asian stir fry with a spicy/sweet sauce, their meatiness steals the show. I've done some lion's mane, again...earthy as hell but has some valuable medicinal purposes--hen and chicken of the woods, cooked any way possible is pretty damn tasty. Lobster, turkey tail and a few other spores aren't worth my time as their taste doesn't suit my palate--but to each their own.
I have not found chicken of the woods here yet, heard they are tasty and I have never eaten the oyster variety either.
Old 11 May 2019, 13:00
BTDT

Quote:
Well hell, I need to eat at your house.
Old 11 May 2019, 15:45
Been There Done That

Door's always open...
Old 14 May 2019, 10:20
I aim to misbehave

Quote:

Oysters and lion's mane are my favorites, and I'm *always* on the lookout for them out in the woods. Wouldn't have expected to find other mushroom hunters here, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

While true:
Continue

Our new posting rules