SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 10 July 2014, 01:25

Thinking of going for UXO Tech 1: it this worth while?

I'll admit that I've only done a cursory search, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of open positions for Tech-1s. 2s and 3s, sure, but that does me little good. The job is something I've wanted to do since I was active duty, but developed some other priorities, and never did it. Now, I'm at a point in my life as a civilian where I could, but I'm not sure investing several grand and a month of my life would be a good decision.

Thanks for any help
Old 13 July 2014, 22:48
Been There Done That

It is not 2004 anymore.
Old 14 July 2014, 11:09
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by praharin View Post
I'll admit that I've only done a cursory search, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of open positions for Tech-1s. 2s and 3s, sure, but that does me little good. The job is something I've wanted to do since I was active duty, but developed some other priorities, and never did it. Now, I'm at a point in my life as a civilian where I could, but I'm not sure investing several grand and a month of my life would be a good decision.

Thanks for any help
Let it go. Unless you truly have an "in" you will likely go broke. The UXO Tech 1 schools need to be shut down, as there are way too many T1s in the industry. I have been doing this since 1996 and have been in every position from UXO T2, to SUXOS to owner. Never has the industry been so down, and not just economically. The volume of personnel in the business is similar to what happened to the IT industry. Or the construction industry in Texas in the 90s. Dead!

But...TEEX, Relyant/UT, Global will all gladly take your money. Ask them all what the current hire rate is among their grads. I would be shocked if it is above 10%.
Old 15 July 2014, 01:17

Bmbsqd, do you have any info on nonprofit/humanitarian work?
I have considered using a month or so of my post 9/11 GI bill to go to TEEX and get the UXO1 and de-mining certs.
If I decided to go this route, it would be for a year or two, and I would be willing to go any where, for next to nothing. Any insights or advice?
Old 15 July 2014, 08:05
Authorized Personnel

ShortTimer, I don't have any input into positions, but I will say that there are very few places in the world more scary than finding yourself inside the middle of a minefield. I would not trust a college course to prepare me for dismantling one. This isn't dud fired ordnance; these were put in the ground waiting for someone. We train locals to do it because they have to get it done.
Old 15 July 2014, 10:09
Been There Done That

ShortTimer, I can tell you that at least here in Cambodia, with the Demining NGOs (MAG, HALO, etc.) that work here, you would not be able to get a job with those certs. They want either EOD certs, or a significant amount of experience. They are not looking for volunteers, or those with very little background.
Old 15 July 2014, 10:42
On the Extract Bird

The IMAS Level 1 course is what is required for HD. Right now Relyant/UT has a UXO Tech 1/IMAS Level 1 course. I think the total is about $10K.

Here is the down and dirty on demining....it sucks! As mentioned above the work is typically done by locals, as they are the ones who will actually give a shit about the land that is mined or has UXO on it. Just ask yourself, except for the pay, do you give a shit about a field of VS-50s in Fuk Me, Viet Nam? Probably not. Long ago RONCO figured out that a single EOD dude (usually Brit or Aussie) and a shit load of locals is what is needed to clear minefields. They have a dog in the hunt so to speak. But in general, the work sucks and so does the pay. Last offer I had to clear minefields was in the $250/day arena. Fuck that....I can collect aluminum cans in the US and make that much and not catch Polio while doing it. Instead I went to Iraq for $375/day to guard some Korean fuck in Baji...much safer!

ETA: IMAS L1 is the beginner/entry level and still requires supervision by a L2 tech.
Old 15 July 2014, 10:55
On the Extract Bird

^^^Wait a minute....did they have VS-50s in VN?
Old 15 July 2014, 11:31

The EOD / UXO community is not a closed community but with the over proliferation of Tech I’s and the military drawdown from recent and ongoing conflicts it is certainly an overpopulated community. As has been stated in this forum you are somewhere between 8 – 10 years late to the party and not everyone that has that amount of time in the field is viably employed within the industry today.

Recommendation one is a debt free college education, perhaps vie the GI Bill.

If a career in the EOD / UXO arena is still your burning desire you should consider attending EOD School as a member of the US Military. Pick a service that suites you and see what they have to offer.

A pay-to-play Tech 1 school will cost you about 10K plus room and board. The school can giv you a list of potential employers but no guarantee of a job. A graduate from one of these schools says students learn basic munitions identification. This is followed by, ‘DON’T TOUCH THAT’ and call a Tech II or higher for assistance when you find something. Tech I’s have basically replaced the ‘maggers’ of the 1990’s.

Minefields are not for the faint of heart. Remember, in a minefield once something is touched, it can never go untouched! I know more than one person that has lost a leg to a minefield or command detonated mine.

Michael A.
Old 15 July 2014, 11:40
On the Extract Bird

Mike, my only disagreement is your "maggers" comment. Maggers, or UXO Sweepers, has become a formal job title and one that I have often used. UXO Sweepers make the same as UXO T1s on Service Contract Act projects...with only 4 hours of site specific training. The national minimum for UXO Sweepers is $23 + $3.81 (Med) + 8% haz pay. Not bad pay, and does not require a 5 week course. Finding the UXO is 99% of the job. The process of blowing it up is ony 1%, but for some reason is the most expensive part of the process.
Old 15 July 2014, 11:58

bmbsqd,

Thanks for the update, my comment speaks to the era that I last worked in the field, not intended to disparage anyone working in the industry.

Michael A.
Old 15 July 2014, 12:02
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. View Post
bmbsqd,

Thanks for the update, my comment speaks to the era that I last worked in the field, not intended to disparage anyone working in the industry.

Michael A.
VN?
Old 15 July 2014, 19:05
Been There Done That

Note also that even the demeaning positions are way down. 15-20 years ago, if you had EOD background, you could get a job in Cambodia pretty easy. But over the years, there has been much capacity building to turn it all over to local nationals, i.e. CMAC. So now the expatriate positions are very few. And CMAC is the primary deminer in Cambodia, as it should be. Let them clean up their own mess. I worked before as the project coordinator for a large UXO gig in Cambodia before, but that was pretty high profile and very rare that they come along, and that was 9 years ago. And part of that gig was training CMAC and Military personnel, so they would not need expatriate technical experts the next time around, they could do it themselves.
Old 17 July 2014, 20:49
Been There Done That

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/nationa...s-eight-people

Thought would post here. Just happened two days ago, right in my neighborhood, just down the road from my station. Bad deal.
Old 18 July 2014, 07:04
Been There Done That

We have a guy on our crew that paid to go to UXO Tech1- $10K was his student loan.

He is working as an ammo handler...

BTW- Fluor is hiring ammo techs/ foremen for BAF- to run the ASP

Check with Fluor.com under LOGCAP

Our new posting rules