SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 6 March 2018, 15:57
Researcher @ Large

So, by that logic I don't own my car when it's outside of my property line unless I'm standing beside it with a gun.

International laws can be broken, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I said that the location shouldn't be publicized specifically because their are so many who would break them if they knew (*EDIT* hell, look at my signature to see how I feel), but that doesn't change the underlying fact that Lexington is property of the US and is owned, regardless of whether or not a party chooses to respect that or not.

You get the last word, I'm out.
Old 6 March 2018, 16:11
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
So, by that logic I don't own my car when it's outside of my property line unless I'm standing beside it with a gun.

International laws can be broken, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I said that the location shouldn't be publicized specifically because their are so many who would break them if they knew (*EDIT* hell, look at my signature to see how I feel), but that doesn't change the underlying fact that Lexington is property of the US and is owned, regardless of whether or not a party chooses to respect that or not.

Just curious. I kind of know Gavin's background. What's yours?
Old 6 March 2018, 16:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Just curious. I kind of know Gavin's background. What's yours?
Someone who should change their username?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 6 March 2018, 16:41
Researcher @ Large

Not a lawyer and not a BTDT. Used to do a few SOF websites (including SOC, and the user name is based on my original SOF website) but do archival research now (National Archives).
Old 6 March 2018, 17:16
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
All that matters in international waters is brute force. Period.
The Chinese have mastered this concept on their new sand bars in the South China Sea.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 6 March 2018, 17:33
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
I think I've read about that whole concept elsewhere. Amazing the effort it would take.
Old 6 March 2018, 17:38
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:

You don't need to be out, my feelings don't get hurt.

You only own your car if you are in a place laws are meaningful and enforced. So, since vehicle theft laws are enforced in the United States (most of it, anyway), you don't have to guard your car. Park your car in a place where no laws are enforced, say, Somalia or Libya, it's gone. Even if you guard it, someone with more guns can come and take it, unless you are willing to kill over it. That's how things work in lawless places. Wait, but there are laws there, right? International law is in effect in Somalia and Libya, right?

International law. About that...

International law on the high seas is enforced in two ways. First, by deadly force. Second way is thru adjudication, after the fact, in International Court.

International Court rulings are not binding on anyone who is not a signatory to them, and can only be enforced on those folks by force.

Now, if we decided to stand watch over the wreck of the Lexington, and someone came to scavenge it, under international law, we could not use deadly force to prevent them from doing so. International law is clear on what you can and can't use force for, and protection of a rusting hulk under two miles of water doesn't rate. If we used force, we would be violating International Law. The good news is that we'd get away with it, because no one respects International Law except the weak. The weak need the strong to enforce it.

So, I'm still going with keeping the coordinates a secret.
Old 13 March 2018, 07:36
Make a desert and call it peace.

I'm also cool with keeping the digits a secret. I'm also cool with making it a point to test anti-ship weapons on any subhuman fucks who try to scavenge our war graves. Accidentally, of course. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 13 March 2018, 20:07
Confirmed User

specwarnet

Paul Allen found both too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)#Sinking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lexington_(CV-2)#Discovery_of_the_wreck

A year after the discovery of the records, the wreck was located by Paul Allenís "USS Indianapolis Project" aboard Research Vessel Petrel [40] on 19 August 2017, at a depth of 18,000 feet (5,500 m).[41] The wreck is well preserved due to the great depth at which Indianapolis rests, which is the rocky mountain ranges of the North Philippine Sea.[42]

cuated.[70]

Discovery of the wreck
On 4 March 2018, the research vessel RV Petrel discovered the wreck of Lexington during an expedition to the Coral Sea led by billionaire Paul Allen. The ship lies nearly 2 miles (3 km) below the surface and 430 nautical miles (800 km) off the coast of Queensland.[71][72][73] A remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) confirmed the identity of the wreck by finding the nameplate on the stern. The ship lies in three sections, and the main section lies upright. A mile to the west, the bow and stern sections lie across from each other, with the bridge lying by itself between the sections. A number of aircraft were also located farther to the west, all in a good state of preservation and consisting of seven Devastators, three Dauntlesses, and a single Wildcat.[74]

Quote:
"Locals" in Indonesia have been salvaging relatively shallow wrecks. Lexington and Indianapolis are far deeper and would, indeed be very expensive to work.
Old 20 March 2018, 11:08
Freelancer

USS. Juneau has been found.

Our new posting rules