SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Post Exchange

Old 23 May 2018, 21:03
The atomic zit

^^^ I second that!!!
Old 23 May 2018, 23:25
Confirmed User

Oh hey, haha, thank you!
Old 27 May 2018, 16:28
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Happy Birthday Poison!!
Ditto Happy belated birthday Poison.

Iíve been dealing with parents health issues. Barely have time to tend to myself.

Itís a mess.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 28 May 2018, 09:24
Confirmed User

Sorry to hear that, Linda. I hope it gets easier soon!
Old 29 May 2018, 23:58
This Is The Way

New order placed. 2 lbs Rophi, 1 lb Brazil.
Old 30 May 2018, 20:15
?

Ordered a couple more pounds of Espresso. That has a very distinct flavor that I wasn't sure of at first sip, but fell in love with and now miss it with every other coffee I drink.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 31 May 2018, 18:48
Confirmed User

Just ordered 1lb of the Brazil; looking forward to a change from the grocery store Buy One/Get One bagged coffee binge I've been on...
Old 4 June 2018, 15:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
New order placed. 2 lbs Rophi, 1 lb Brazil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John6719 View Post
Ordered a couple more pounds of Espresso. That has a very distinct flavor that I wasn't sure of at first sip, but fell in love with and now miss it with every other coffee I drink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90 View Post
Just ordered 1lb of the Brazil; looking forward to a change from the grocery store Buy One/Get One bagged coffee binge I've been on...
Thank you guys! Much appreciated.

PSA: I will be taking a 2 week break here starting on June 16, to return to Israel where this whole coffee thing started. It's been 20 years for me, my wife and kids have never been, and they will be seeing my mother for their first time. June 14 will be my last roast date this month, so be sure to get your orders in before then, but never fear! All orders places while I am gone will roast July 5.
Old 11 June 2018, 09:49
Confirmed User

New coffee in! As a reminder: this Thurs is my last roast date before I leave for 2 weeks, but feel free to order while I'm gone, and all orders will be quickly filled after I return.
Old 12 June 2018, 16:51
?

It's a great day opening up a new bag of coffee. Thanks poison!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1975.jpg (48.3 KB, 72 views)

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 12 June 2018, 17:12
Confirmed User

Rock + Gaggia = cool. Hope you love the beans!
Old 16 June 2018, 01:32
This Is The Way

Hey Bro,
Order placed on the 12th... did I make the cutoff?

I will go through withdrawal if I have to wait till after July 5th... :)

Enjoy your trip to Israel!! Getting to Israel is one of my bucket list items. Hope you and your family have an amazing trip. Stay safe.
Old 5 July 2018, 10:35
Confirmed User

I'm back, and roasting this evening! Gratuitous pics:

Masada

Church of the Trasfiguration

Al Bahr Mosque
Old 5 July 2018, 10:36
Confirmed User

Oh hey. My mom had a bunch of old pics.

Herzilya beach, badass

An elbow.

A bench I spent 2+ weeks on when I contracted ebola/aids/whatever in 1993, almost died, and ended up on the street. Strange to be there again.
Old 5 July 2018, 10:41
Authorized Personnel

That last image sounds like a killer story waiting to be shared. Get on it!
Old 5 July 2018, 11:22
Confirmed User

Haha, well....after my first year in israel, I left Kibbutz El Rom in the Golan with my South African girlfriend, and we took our kibbutz allowance ($110 between us), and jumped on a bus to Jerusalem. We found a hostel in the Arab quarter of the old city for $4 a night, and the next day we split up and looked for jobs. She found a job as a toga wearing waitress on a greek restaurant; I got a job washing dishes at a hotel. On my second day, I was washing dishes by hand from a wedding, in a huge sink full of soapy, dirty water. Two glasses were stacked together, and stuck. I tried to separate them, but crushed one in the process, in my hand. It slashed my palm from side to side, deep. I wrapped it in a towel, and the sent me home, which was a 45 minute walk to the hostel. By the time I arrived, I felt queasy, and as I walked in, I passed out.

I woke up to some guy dragging me onto some floor cushions in the corner of the lounge area, where I passed out again, and lay hallucinating for 2-3 days. The hostel owner came by and gave me some nasty herbal concoction to drink every so often. When my fever broke, I realized the skin was peeling off my lips and hands, and I had to throw up every so often, even though I hadn't eaten. After a couple days it switched to diarrhea, and it was so frequent, and I was so weak, I lay in the hallway outside the communal bathroom on the floor, with people stepping over me and shit to get by.

Remember my 'GF'? Well, she stopped by once or twice to see whats up, but pretty much bailed. Good, fuck her. The hostel owner brought me orange juice and fruit, but not much else. After 3 weeks or so, he came to me and said I owed money, and needed to go. I had a boom box the girl and I had brought from the kibbutz; I took it, walked out into the market, and loudly said in English 'who wants to buy it?'. The next few hours was a flurry of coffee, inquiries into the health of my family, and whatever else constitutes the bartering dance. I got enough to pay my hostel bill, had an extra $20 or so, got directions to the closest doctor, and staggered down the street. It took me a bit, but I arrived at the Arab dr. He felt my stomach, diagnosed me, gave me a prescription, and told me where to fill it. I was so weak, it took me forever to go the few hundred yards it took to walk there, and I took my first dose of the meds.

I had no idea where to go or what to do, so I just sat somewhere in the street near a bathroom, but when my first shit after the meds had blood in it, it scared me pretty bad. I tossed the meds in the trash, and figuring 'fuck this Arab shit' was probably the best plan, headed toward the Jewish quarter, where I found that bench, which was my home for the next few weeks. With my remaining few shekels, I bought a half a pita with felafel a day, and just hung on the bench, not really getting weaker or stronger, but the runs eventually stopped. I walked into a medical clinic, but it was for Israelis with a health care card, which I didn't have. It was oddly peaceful and freeing, in a weird way; nothing extraneous, no obligations, just the basic needs, like food and a covered bench to lay on, though it was odd to be invisible to all the tourists and passers by. They would sit right next to me, but not even see me.

One day a religious guy sat next to me and said 'you look hungry'. Hmm, yeah, something like that. 'We're holding a class, and have food after; come to the class and you can eat.' No need to ask me twice. After I ate, he asked if I was going back to the bench. Yessir. He said 'we have a hostel you can stay at for free, it closes from 9am-4pm, but you'll have a bed and free food, yeah?'. Oh yeah.

I stayed there for a couple weeks until I regained my strength, walked out into the street, begged money for bus fare, called my dad from the airport, and he bought me a ticket home. I was back in Israel within a month.
Old 5 July 2018, 13:11
This Is The Way

Welcome back, poison. Cool photos and that's quite a story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 5 July 2018, 13:17
Confirmed User

Thanks. Check your email.
Old 5 July 2018, 14:29
This Is The Way

Checked and responded.
Old 6 July 2018, 09:14
Confirmed User

Thanks! Hectic roast night, but I got it done, coffee is shipping today!

Our new posting rules