SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewmen (SWCC)

Old 13 February 2019, 13:06

Advise for my son for SWCC?

If anyone has info on how to best prepare for a career in SWCC, please advise.

I'm a former USAF PJ, and have been preparing my 17 year old son to go into some sort of US SOCM job (mentally & physically) since he was little. Since he's a smart high school athlete and in great shape, I think he'll do well in whatever direction he chooses.

We live on the atlantic coast in south Florida and he's a solid free-diver, swimmer and is well versed in operating our dual 300's 30' center console boat.

Any specific info regarding SWCC or to better prepare him would be much appreciated!

Thanks much! Jim
Old 14 February 2019, 09:45
Been There Done That

Honestly, physical prep for SWCC is very similar to how you would prep him for PJ. Running, rucking, swimming, and calisthenics till the cows come home. Make sure he is proficient in the combat side stroke, with and without a mask, with and without fins. He’ll have to ‘earn’ his mask at training, so being comfortable swimming without it is a must. Proficiency in the other strokes as well, a good chunk of our conditioning swims were freestyle rather than side or breast.

Build up his running, both distance and speed. If I recall, being able to sustain at least a 7:30 pace for several miles is a good starting point - 7 or better would make things that much easier n him.

Tons of push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups/flutter kicks, as well as getting used to just staying in the leaning rest.

And while it shouldn’t be the main focus of his training, a solid strength program is good insurance. I managed to get through a SWCC career with minimal back issues when other guys were getting spinal fusions in their mid 20s - and I credit that mostly to heavy lifting with good form, a solid core.

Aside from that, I don’t know how you would mentally prep someone. One day at a time, one evolution at a time - that’s what gets you through. And something I tell my Sea cadets who are trying to go into some kind of SOF job... you want to be one of two people in a selection course, either honor grad or the grey man, the guy who shows up at graduation and gets asked by an instructor, ‘wait, you were in this class?’
Old 14 February 2019, 11:26
Been There Done That

He will be taught everything he needs to know about boats, and other aspects of the job. Just thinking back to how it was when I went through, from a physical standpoint, runs are done in boots and pants in the sand, instead of on a track or sidewalk like most people prepare for. Swims are all in the ocean using combat side stroke, and that, along with most pool evolutions will be done in full cammies which adds another degree of difficulty that people are usually not prepared for. Those are the big things I can think of that cause people to fail based strictly on whether or not they are in shape. Other than that, its really a mental game. Being comfortable in the water is very important. A lot of people can swim, but will realize they are not truly comfortable in the water. Follow instructions, and just focus on accomplishing the current task. Dont think about how tired you are, how many hours are left in the day, days left in the week, or weeks until graduation.
Old 14 February 2019, 12:02
Confirmed User

I just want to echo what 20boatguy22 said, I'm not a SWCC guy but have spent a lot of time with body armor or a ruck on and I'm still going really strong at 47. I attribute that to heavy lifting with good form. I started heavy lifting at 14 and I think that's helped me a lot.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 14 February 2019, 12:39
Administrator

Good info here: https://www.sealswcc.com/
Old 14 February 2019, 14:06
Confirmed User

Not a SWCC guy but I can tell from experience in the Marine Corps Scout Sniper community that he can check all of the boxes physically and be the most physically fit, smartest stud in the class but he has to really, truly want to do the down and dirty work of the job because he wants to do it and not for anybody else. A never quit attitude comes from a deep rooted personal desire to want to do the job no matter how tough it gets.

In the depths of those really challenging physically tough evolutions, what will pull him through is his mental strength and that will based on truly wanting to do the job. If he cannot honestly answer the tough question "Why I am doing this?" when he is getting run through the ringer and at the points of mental and physical exhaustion, he might have a problem. I have seen a lot of tough, smart guys give up when they face that question at the schoolhouse and they all at some point are faced with that tough internal question.

Finally I would say training for the physical aspects are a must but ensuring that is what he really wants to do for him is the key to his success IMHO. Being a PJ you know this but sometimes it is a hard conversation to have with your kid. I know because I had to have it with mine when he joined the Marine Corps.
Old 14 February 2019, 14:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm View Post
If anyone has info on how to best prepare for a career in SWCC, please advise.

I'm a former USAF PJ, and have been preparing my 17 year old son to go into some sort of US SOCM job (mentally & physically) since he was little. Since he's a smart high school athlete and in great shape, I think he'll do well in whatever direction he chooses.

We live on the atlantic coast in south Florida and he's a solid free-diver, swimmer and is well versed in operating our dual 300's 30' center console boat.

Any specific info regarding SWCC or to better prepare him would be much appreciated!

Thanks much! Jim
I echo what my illustrious peers have said about being physically and mentally ready. I would suggest that you suggest that he forgets everything he thinks he knows about operating a small craft.

Before I went to the schoolhouse I had a legit career driving small boats. 200 actual VBSS boardings or thereabouts as coxswain or crew. (all daylight compliant but still...). I was an experienced boat driver. Jet boats are different than screw boats for starters, and while he may experience screw boats at the Teams, his schoolhouse experience will be on jets, I believe. I spent some time suffering through the unlearning process (which was expedited through liberal applications of push ups and cold water.)

And to reemphasize have him be GOOD in the water. Like I'm an ocean lifeguard water polo player good. He won't regret it.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 14 February 2019, 19:08

Man, I didn't expect so many amazing replies. Thank you all. Very good info and motivating!! He signed his initial paperwork with the Navy Recruiter yesterday. ASVAB and Meps next. We'll keep you guys updated on his progress. Thanks again! JTM
Old 15 February 2019, 08:01
Been There Done That

Couple good points havok and bob mentioned I didnít think of - be a new guy. If he knows his rules of the road and order of precedence then heís at least a little ahead of the game, other than that shut your mouth and be a sponge.

And just to throw this in there, make sure he knows what being a new guy means. You were a PJ, Iím sure you can educate him on that. Once he gets to a Team, heís still a new guy. Nobody cares what happened at the school house, or that he threw the winning touchdown against Polk High to win the championship in Ď72. This is the real world, and as NSW is fond of saying, earn your pin everyday.

Our new posting rules