SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 21 January 2020, 17:16
Back on The Farm

Increased Benefits Based on Unemployability

Has anyone done this? I am currently at 90% and due to my main diagnosed disability, I have had trouble holding down a decent job. I am at my wits end with bills piling up after my divorce.
Does anyone know if they will at least offer a temporary increase? I have an appointment at the VA in Feb. I would like to know what I should do to help my situation.
TIA.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 21 January 2020, 18:22
Authorized Personnel

I'd find a veterans service officer, that you trust. I'd call the DAV or American Legion.

I'm pretty sure that if you have a rating of 90% and as you said, sort of unemployable, that the rating can be upped to 100.

Big $ difference between 90 and 100.
Old 21 January 2020, 20:06
Confirmed User

I do not think you have to be at 100% to have an unemployable rating. My son had some fairly serious injuries while in the Navy and has an unemployable rating but is not at 100%, not sure of the specifics though. Definitely contact a Vet service rep org in your local area. They are not the VA and know all of the in and outs to the process of fighting for you on your behalf.
Old 21 January 2020, 21:10
Been There Done That

This page might help. In a nutshell, in order to receive 100% based on unemployability, you must meet both of the requirements listed below.

Quote:
Both of these must be true:
You have at least 1 service-connected disability rated at 60% or more disabling, or 2 or more service-connected disabilities—with at least 1 rated at 40% or more disabling and a combined rating of 70% or more—and

You can’t hold down a steady job that supports you financially (known as substantially gainful employment) because of your service-connected disability. Odd jobs (marginal employment) don’t count.
Old 21 January 2020, 21:32
Been There Done That

I'd be real careful about what you tell the VA other than what they NEED to know about you. If you tell them you are having trouble holding down a job, unable to manage finances etc., they may assign you a fiduciary, then you're really fucked. It's their decision, not yours. I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful what you tell them.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/FIDUCIARY/Fid_Guide.pdf
Old 22 January 2020, 08:39
Been There Done That

bump
Old 22 January 2020, 08:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
I do not think you have to be at 100% to have an unemployable rating.
If you are rated at 100 percent (permanent and total) you are not authorized unemployability as the 100% is the greater benefit.

When you apply for unemployability, all the contentions you list on the form will receive an increase exam. So if you list PTSD, sleep apnea and bad back as the reasons you can’t work, you will receive 3 exams. The reason is to see if your percentage can be increased to 100% and then unemployability will be “moot”. If they cant grant unemployability or increase to 100%, the object is to get an increase so it could increase from 70 to 90 percent(for example)

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 22 January 2020, 10:14
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
I'd be real careful about what you tell the VA other than what they NEED to know about you. If you tell them you are having trouble holding down a job, unable to manage finances etc., they may assign you a fiduciary, then you're really fucked. It's their decision, not yours. I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful what you tell them.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/FIDUCIARY/Fid_Guide.pdf
I understand. I already have a fiduciary. So no worries there.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

Old 22 January 2020, 11:24
Back on The Farm

So after a fruitful discussion with GSniper, I have lots of new information to help me along.

One of the main things I need is a VSO to help walk me through this.

Since there are a bunch of y'all in the Richmond/Williamsburg area (I suppose), I wanted to see who has used a VSO I can trust and work with.

I am a member of the VFW locally here in Mechanicsville, but some issues with the leadership there have kind of driven me out.

I am willing to travel an hour to speak to someone. I am located about 45 minutes from Williamsburg, 20 minutes or so from Richmond. I prefer not to have to cross the tunnel to go into the Norfolk area.

Let me know what you have!

Old 22 January 2020, 13:03
Authorized Personnel

The county where you live might also have a VSO.

You do not have to be a member of said Service Org to use these guys and they work for free. My guy write the letters and even puts the stamps on for me.
Old 22 January 2020, 18:56
Authorized Personnel

Military Order of the Purple Heart also has VSO's. You do not need to be a recipient of the Purple Heart to use them.
Old 22 January 2020, 21:59
Shakin' the bush Boss

Last I heard MOPH had laid off all their VSO's unless there has been a recent change.
Old 23 January 2020, 06:37
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Last I heard MOPH had laid off all their VSO's unless there has been a recent change.
I did not realize that. I see on their website they have an announcement, but you have to dig for it.

From their website:
I need help filing a claim for VA benefits
…or I am having trouble with a pending claim. Can you help me? Unfortunately, MOPH has discontinued the service program. We are currently working on closing all offices and will be sending out letter notifying all claimants that we no longer offer this program.
Please don’t let that discourage you from seeking assistance from the VA. We strongly encourage you to contact VSO services such as VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars), American Legion, and (DAV) Disabled American Veterans or your local VSO at your county or state level.

Here are some informative resources:
National Veteran Foundation: www.nvf.org/veteran-service-officers/
Veterans of Foreign Wars: www.vfw.org/contact-us
America Legion: www.legion.org/contact
Disabled American Veterans: www.dav.org/contact-us/
Old 23 January 2020, 07:30
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, one of my fishing buds was right in the middle of a claim and they just laid everybody off, like overnight. It was a mess for the guys involved.

We had a short thread on it here a few months back.

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=1...r+purple+heart
Old 23 January 2020, 09:50
Confirmed User

Laying off VSOs is troubling. They should at least consider a transition period with a new counselor taking over to ensure the most important person is taken care of, the Veteran...

Our new posting rules