SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 23 January 2020, 06:44
Authorized Personnel

Navy to jam GPS

I couldn't figure how to post the whole link, but I got the map of where the jam/blocking will/would affect.

GPS to be jammed/blocked for a 400 mile radius, Florida and Georgia.

While I'm sure the training pilots have to go through would include the loss of GPS, I think if you are screwing with that many birds, someone might not remember how not to get lost.

735e7b89-e101-4c62-a8a2-e065f7823ab3-gps_jamming.jpg
Old 23 January 2020, 11:22
Been There Done That

I keep seeing this pop up in my sailing forums but every time I go to use my plotter it works fine. I think it keeps getting recycled and was for a very limited timeframe. The big boats have mulitple systems and all real sailors know how to Dead Reckon and read paper charts.
Old 23 January 2020, 11:59
Confirmed User

I hope GPS works. I'm driving from MA to NC in a few weeks.

Guess I'll break out the Atlas book.

(I think I can figure out 95 south for 800 miles)
Old 23 January 2020, 12:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post

95 S.. Should get ya there.
Old 23 January 2020, 12:20
Authorized Personnel

Here's the FAA NOTAM on the matter. Possible impacts during certain hours of the day and on specific days between the 16th and 24th this month.

LINK HERE

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 23 January 2020, 12:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post

(I think I can figure out 95 south for 800 miles)
if Eastern MA I take pike to 84 then the wilbur cross pkwy to merrit pkwy, decision point; White Plains then Garden St pkwy to NJ turnpike, or Merritt parkway /Hudson River Pkwy / Henry Hudson to Brooklyn GW Bridge NJ Turnpike.

next is whether to go to Annapolis after Deleware Bridge on 95 or detour 301 via eastern shore Cheseepeak Bay Bridge, BW parkway 395 to 95S Richmond. 295 bypass Richmond.

Anything in the DC area remotely close to rush hour and by that I mean, 3PM on in the evening DON'T DO IT. You cant get clear until past Fredericksburg it is hands down the worst traffic on the East Coast.

Then the long drive into NC, stay fast and avoid speed traps I go 95 to 40 for North or South points, Raleigh Winston Salem mountains. Never head into Eastern NC on all these two lane shortcuts at night, go 40 to 17 then traverse. So many head ons and people hitting deer, farm equipment etc you can't believe it.
Old 23 January 2020, 13:07
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
The big boats have mulitple systems and all real sailors know how to Dead Reckon and read paper charts.
Amen, brother.

Like the grunts that got pluggers in the 90s, true land navving is becoming a lost art, especially in boating.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 23 January 2020, 13:26

Quote:
Anything in the DC area remotely close to rush hour and by that I mean, 3PM on in the evening DON'T DO IT. .
DC is best passed around 0130!!
Old 23 January 2020, 13:30
Confirmed User

I live south about 10 min from Gillette. We are def plotting side routes. 95s straight through was my facetious no-gps route.

I've taken 220 (I think) to my brothers in Lancaster PA. that's on the table too. Once I get south of MA though I haven't driven in forever.

We're driving to the Wilmington area to scout real estate.

It will be a two day drive then a week in the area. We're going to lay-over somewhere after the ½ way point.

Quote:
if Eastern MA I take pike to 84 then the wilbur cross pkwy to merrit pkwy, decision point; White Plains then Garden St pkwy to NJ turnpike, or Merritt parkway /Hudson River Pkwy / Henry Hudson to Brooklyn GW Bridge NJ Turnpike.

next is whether to go to Annapolis after Deleware Bridge on 95 or detour 301 via eastern shore Cheseepeak Bay Bridge, BW parkway 395 to 95S Richmond. 295 bypass Richmond.

Anything in the DC area remotely close to rush hour and by that I mean, 3PM on in the evening DON'T DO IT. You cant get clear until past Fredericksburg it is hands down the worst traffic on the East Coast.

Then the long drive into NC, stay fast and avoid speed traps I go 95 to 40 for North or South points, Raleigh Winston Salem mountains. Never head into Eastern NC on all these two lane shortcuts at night, go 40 to 17 then traverse. So many head ons and people hitting deer, farm equipment etc you can't believe it.
Old 23 January 2020, 14:19
33,024 - R.I.P.

And that's when the EMP attack happened ----~^______
Old 24 January 2020, 20:14
Confirmed User

The Russians and Chinese have their own secret GPS system. hope they give us 24 hours free.....
Old 24 January 2020, 20:32
Red Headed Stepchild

If that outage area is anything close to accurate, that is one bad ass jammer. GPS is pretty easy to jam, but not with that kind of range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
The Russians and Chinese have their own secret GPS system. hope they give us 24 hours free.....
A) fat chance;
B) their GPS constellations work in the same frequency band. Those systems will be inop in the jamming area just like US GPS.

You jam the receiver, not the transmitter. GPS will still work fine everywhere outside the jamming radius.
Old 25 January 2020, 12:40
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
Define “secret”. The EU, Japan (?), Russia and the Chinese all have a GPS constellation. I don’t believe that’s “secret”.

I’d be more concerned as to why the Chinese are putting GPS chips in phones that have both a receive and send function...

Our new posting rules