SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 28 April 2018, 17:05
Confirmed User

Dr Peter Attia is a relevant resource for the growing body of science and experimentation around human longevity:

https://peterattiamd.com/nerd-safari/

On his blog, he runs a number of broad/deep articles on heart disease, cancer, dimentia, fasting, sleep hygiene, etc.

He is a medical doctor, engineer, athlete, and math/data nerd.

He has a podcast starting this upcoming summer.

Where I think his work is most relevant to this particular Socnet community is four fold:

1)he has put his money where his mouth(and body) is....endurance and high intensity athletics that has commonality with military athletes/Veterans

2)he is the first athlete/medical doctor I know who covers the often contradictory difference between human performance and human longevity. Tour de France and NFL/TBIs breaks people....much like Ranger School, Assessment/Selection like activities, and high risk/high impact training/operations.

What I’m getting at is he “gets” that at some stage human performance begins to negatively impact on human longevity.....so for many on this firum(myself included) need to make the active decision to “hang up the spurs” and clearly shift from performance to longevity.

3) he employs 4 analysts(at last count, more on the way) to pick thru all the haystacks to find the longevity “needle” evidence.

4) he is a humble guy who doesn’t claim to know it all.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 29 April 2018, 14:58
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

Sleep - No Blue light 3 hours before bed. $20 on Amazon will get you a pair of Cygex glasses that will block Blue Light. Put them on a few hours before bed.
Are these the ones you use?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-04-29-14-55-08.png (237.3 KB, 224 views)
Old 1 May 2018, 00:47
Confirmed User

This.

Quote:
Slow progressive overload with proper technique
add full range of motion.

-Don't neglect glute or shoulder girdle/upper back work

-Emphasize eccentrics/tempo when possible/appropriate. Tons of benefits to this (tendon/ligament loading, TUT, balance, etc)

-Try to add unilateral work in your program

Give this podcast a listen for some considerations.

https://www.strengthratiohq.com/podcasts/

This is my coach's gym and their mantra is "Sustainable Training". As a coach myself I've also adopted a more sustainable approach to training as well and, in my opinion, is extremely beneficial for longevity in a physically demanding job.

Episodes 11, 14, 18 & 20 many be especially beneficial for someone without a coach. And Episode 2 is specifically geared towards Masters aged individuals.
Old 2 May 2018, 09:56
Confirmed User

I'm looking to incorporate some of Mike Fitch's ANIMAL FLOW https://www.animalflow.com/about/the-six-components/ and his Global Bodyweight Training https://www.globalbodyweighttraining...es-and-videos/ into my weekly routines.

He's got some cool ideas on combining strength training and movement.

Last edited by 19MIKE; 2 May 2018 at 10:01.
Old 2 May 2018, 13:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Stop drinking, if you do.
Stop smoking, if you do.
Get GOOD sleep every single night.
Eat a diet consisting of minimally processed food (bags/boxes) with a crap ton of the "Rainbow" fruits/vegetables.
Monitor energy intake specific to your goal (loss/maintain/gain).
Do Cardio.
Lift heavy weight.
I appreciate how simply you put it. Well said.
Old 2 May 2018, 19:39
Confirmed User

Anyone ever read or used Kelly Starrett's book "Becoming a Supple Leopard"?

I reckon it's pretty solid on injury prevention, pain mitigation, and optimising performance.

An earlier version in PDf can be found on the internet.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 3 May 2018, 07:16
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Are these the ones you use?
You can (good call on finding them, I got the name wrong, LOL) - but those are the 90% blocking ones. I went full bore with the Yellow 99% blocking ones here:

https://www.amazon.com/Cyxus-Compute...ue+Light+Block

They *do* turn TV yellow, but it actually isn't bad and you get used to it. But yeah, if you want as normal a picture as possible, get one of the clear, 90% ones - they work too, and you can tell by looking at TV and lifting them up and down - there is a subtle change in the Blue color. So go with what you like best.
Old 3 May 2018, 07:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post

I reckon it's pretty solid on injury prevention, pain mitigation, and optimising performance.

IMO (uh-oh, a debate in the fitness arena coming, what??? ) this whole "mobility thing" has been co-opted like most things, to make big money.

Now, I totally understand that people are different (but not in a 7 billion + "unique" way) and have to work around various legit medical issues. If you absolutely can't high-bar back squat, then you can't, and you need to find something else like Hip Belt Squats, etc... I get it.

But if you have no medical issues - like SB said above, spending 45 minutes doing all these rollers, "peanuts" etc... BEFORE you even get into your main training, is friggen ridiculous, to me - I can spend as much time as I want in the gym, but I wouldn't want to spend *that* long.

I also believe that when you make new, or returning trainees think that they *have* to do all this stuff - it puts them off from training all together because of the time constraint ^

N=1 anecdotes are all but useless, but I'll give you mine, as I think I was typical of a lot of F.A.G.'s who just got lazy and fat (~300lbs):

No Musculoskeletal injuries at age 46, just fat AF with usual poor bio-health markers.

I start with static stretching of the major muscle groups - we all have been doing this forever. Then I'll do some basic dynamic stretching. Then I'll do friggen 'Jumping Jacks' for about 3-5 minutes. Then I hit whatever my main compound movement is for that day, and do a very quick 'ramping warm-up' with the weight, ie. Deadlifts will be 135x5, 225x3, 315x1 - and now we're into the working sets. Quick, simple, warm, and "mobile".

Do what you gotta do, but don't major in the minors over this stuff, is my opinion.
Old 3 May 2018, 10:59
Confirmed User

I keep getting hammered with GMB Fitness ads on FB, makes me laugh every time.

"two years ago John was a powerlifter struggling to make progress (lol!!) and unhappy with his physique, but now, thanks to GMB, he can roll around on the floor and do handstands like a boss!!!"

Or

"Suzy was at the top of her game as a professional powerlifter and fitness model, now she's reached new heights with bodyweight exercise!"

I mean hey, whatever gets people moving, but don't act like your 'flow' routine is superior to everything else. You can learn similar movements just by doing judo or BJJ or tai chi or(...), while actually learning a skill and bettering yourself in infinite other ways.

Fuckin hipsters.
Old 3 May 2018, 11:34
Confirmed User

^^^ Yeah Poison but how many times have you had foreign Judo players come into the room and do things during warmups (handstands, cartwheels, bodyweight control type stuff, etc) that most of the American cats in the room can't do or look awkward as hell doing it? It's a different kind of strength. You're in a dynamic sport....you need body control.

When you’re a young buck (into your early 40’s?), you can do your separate weight work outs, but you’ll probably have another mobility activity that you're involved with (basketball, softball, judo, racquetball, etc) which will coordinate your body and give you the kind of ‘athleticism’ that you’re looking for (mobility/flexibility)

I agree with the ‘performance vs. longevity’ training paradigm (because now I'm in that older demographic and exercise has taken on a different meaning). As you get longer in the tooth….your time/energy/mobility/injuries come into to play, plus you need time to recover.

For me personally, I want a challenging daily exercise routine that incorporates it all….strength, flexibility, endurance, etc. into one 45-60 minute bout...and yes I want it to FLOW!!!! I don't want to stop. Some 'light' days I'll just ride the bike and do upper body xband work while pedaling for an hour or so. Some days I'll go outside and exercise with various weighted tree limbs I've cut up. You don’t HAVE to go hard everyday, (in fact it’s better if you adjust your intensity so you can recover). Most days I'm doing my weight vest workouts which get pretty intense.

All of POLY’s points are understood and are really the bedrock of body maintenance, it's up to you knowing your body and being smart about your fitness goals.

Ultimately however, it is whatever floats your boat

Last edited by 19MIKE; 3 May 2018 at 11:46.
Old 3 May 2018, 12:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post

I have the book and use it for specific things that I know need work like shoulder issues and tight hips. I don't do all the stuff by any means. The couch stretch and some of the lacrosse ball smashing really helps. Also, foam rolling the calves, quads, and IT band help if you find yourself sitting at a desk a lot. At least for me. I usually do it before the main workout.
Old 3 May 2018, 13:04
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

Quote:
You can (good call on finding them, I got the name wrong, LOL) - but those are the 90% blocking ones. I went full bore with the Yellow 99% blocking ones here:

https://www.amazon.com/Cyxus-Compute...ue+Light+Block

They *do* turn TV yellow, but it actually isn't bad and you get used to it. But yeah, if you want as normal a picture as possible, get one of the clear, 90% ones - they work too, and you can tell by looking at TV and lifting them up and down - there is a subtle change in the Blue color. So go with what you like best.
Thanks!
Old 3 May 2018, 15:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
^^^ Yeah Poison but how many times have you had foreign Judo players come into the room and do things during warmups (handstands, cartwheels, bodyweight control type stuff, etc) that most of the American cats in the room can't do or look awkward as hell doing it? It's a different kind of strength. You're in a dynamic sport....you need body control.

When you’re a young buck (into your early 40’s?), you can do your separate weight work outs, but you’ll probably have another mobility activity that you're involved with (basketball, softball, judo, racquetball, etc) which will coordinate your body and give you the kind of ‘athleticism’ that you’re looking for (mobility/flexibility)

I agree with the ‘performance vs. longevity’ training paradigm (because now I'm in that older demographic and exercise has taken on a different meaning). As you get longer in the tooth….your time/energy/mobility/injuries come into to play, plus you need time to recover.

For me personally, I want a challenging daily exercise routine that incorporates it all….strength, flexibility, endurance, etc. into one 45-60 minute bout...and yes I want it to FLOW!!!! I don't want to stop. Some 'light' days I'll just ride the bike and do upper body xband work while pedaling for an hour or so. Some days I'll go outside and exercise with various weighted tree limbs I've cut up. You don’t HAVE to go hard everyday, (in fact it’s better if you adjust your intensity so you can recover). Most days I'm doing my weight vest workouts which get pretty intense.

All of POLY’s points are understood and are really the bedrock of body maintenance, it's up to you knowing your body and being smart about your fitness goals.

Ultimately however, it is whatever floats your boat
To those foreign players I'd say 'that's cute' then give them hell, because back flips dont make you good at judo, they make you good at back flips.

I guess it's the way these people are trying to hook new customers. Look, Jimmy used to do x, now he does gmb and has a bunch of skills that have dubious effect on whatever his primary activity is! If you look at the people doing it, they're all skinny and relatively weak, which is fine for many purposes, and maybe healthy, but please don't tell me it's superior to power lifting or whatever. A power lifter would smoke their vertical jump, ability to lift weight, etc things that translate to real life. They won't look as pretty doing the plie, though.

I'm 43. I have a herniated l5, two separated shoulders, popped ribs, etc. I'm a busy guy, and don't have the time or inclination to powerlift. I don't even have a gym membership. Judo and kettlebell accomplish what I need (with a minimal time requirement for the kettlebell.) So yeah, do what you enjoy that gives you what you need, just be realistic about what you're getting.
Old 3 May 2018, 16:14
Administrator

43 and herniated l5, two separated shoulders, popped ribs is nothing. I call that being ready for deployment.

Trust me, when you're in constant pain and your mobility sucks, you'll work on mobility. The 4 attributes I listed have be relatively balanced for anyone to be healthy and fit enough to do whatever you may want to undertake, even if that's just feeling and looking good, and enjoying life or more challenging events.
Old 3 May 2018, 17:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
43 and herniated l5, two separated shoulders, popped ribs is nothing. I call that being ready for deployment.

Trust me, when you're in constant pain and your mobility sucks, you'll work on mobility. The 4 attributes I listed have be relatively balanced for anyone to be healthy and fit enough to do whatever you may want to undertake, even if that's just feeling and looking good, and enjoying life or more challenging events.
Haha, nice. I'm sure balance is key, and any movement beats no movement. I was just commenting in regards to the marketing employed by the raft of 'bodyweight flow' type programs cropping up lately. No doubt they will keep someone fit.
Old 3 May 2018, 17:21
Administrator

LOL.

The good thing about getting older is it's easier to distance yourself from your age peers. Look at all the fat dudes in their 40's or the skinny fat 25-40 year olds walking the streets.
Old 3 May 2018, 17:32
Confirmed User

Heh, true. I hate to say it but that is one of my gauges, personally: can I hang with younger guys on the mat? Reflexes and recovery aren't up to par, but increasing cardio/strength/technique shall overcome!
Old 3 May 2018, 17:35
Voodoo guru

First, don't be so quick to knock workouts like what you see on GMB. I have a few of their programs, and I will, hands down, take them over powerlifting. I've done powerlifting; did so for a lot of years. I got more functional power from the GMB style workouts by far. Not only that, skills that have served on the mats too.

I'm 6', 223, and after breaking my back in July 2016, I had to make a change in how fitness was done. I started hanging. As in gripping a pull up bar and just hanging there until my grip failed. I chose to move away from typical lifting.

The focus became fitness via body movement and bodyweight exercises. The foundation was "animal gymnastics", which is nothing more than movement that mimics various animals. It's a fairly regular part of most BJJ classes (or should be). And then good ole fashion pushup's, pullup, burpess, etc. Nothing has ever changed my body composition faster.

Now, for someone who's 47, recovered from a broken back, I shouldn't be moving well at all. But combined with the bodyweight exercises, plyo, animal movements, and kettlebell's (obvious), lots of heavy bag work, capped off with the vulnerable Bulgarian Bag and Neuro-grips; I move better now than in my 20's.

The Bulgarian Bag and Neuro-grips are two of the most awesome pieces of fitness, strength gear ever. They will humble you and expose every weakness you have. Especially the Neuro-grips. Neuro-grips are simply grips, that have a rod out the bottom, that put you on point for pushups. I figured, how hard could it be? I couldn't do even one regular pushup, and had to exercise a bail out plan because I nearly faceplanted. Hell, I wasn't even able do a single pushup on my knee's. These things radically change your strength capability because they put all of the focus on the stabilizers. And boy, do you realize how much you need them.

The Bulgarian Bag... ffffuuucckkkk.... simply imagine throwing a goat over your shoulder and running, or holding it by the legs and swinging any number of ways. Absolutely awesome gear.

Every bit of this style of training is that it's practical. It's transformative in regards to strength. It'll blaze your cardio as well.

I've never felt better. Traditional weights and powerlifting don't compare. I still do deadlifts, and squats because I like them, a LOT.

Every bit of this style of training for me, is to supplement my BJJ and Muay Thai. So the notion of "over training"... Meh... Only if you need an excuse or you actually injure yourself.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 3 May 2018, 19:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
To those foreign players I'd say 'that's cute' then give them hell, because back flips dont make you good at judo, they make you good at back flips.
I'm not so sure about that. If you're an athlete, you can do athletic things.....guys that didn’t 'look strong', but knew how to apply their strength. If you're good at judo and can do superior athletic maneuvers, you're a notch above, you've got flexibility and kineostenic awareness.

And I’m not talking run of the mill guys either, I’m talking good Ruskie’s, French, German, Poles and of course the Japanese players….they have a different more traditional athletic upbringing.....lets face it, USA Judo is really not on that list except for a few. (I was a Ni-Dan when I quit btw, back surgery).

Powerlifting doesn’t make you a good judo player either….it makes you a good power lifter. Your time is better spent on thousands of reps of technique and exercises that will strengthen that technique and give you the endurance to apply that technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I guess it's the way these people are trying to hook new customers.
For a long time, we as a society have been hooked on the bench press/squat/deadlift to define strength. In recent years the ‘olympic lifts’ have been incorporated as most strength coaches realized the limitations of the one dimensional power lifts. (I did power lifting too...I like it, it's fun). In most gyms you sit or lay down to exercise. Then came 'core work', cross fit, gym jones etc etc etc and what ever else came along...... (I agree with you here on the money making aspect).

In the old days….the farmers were the really strong guys. Why was that?

I’m with SB and Choke on this….and will probably be ordering some neuro-grips and a Bulgarian Bag to boot after watching some youtubes vids!!
Old 3 May 2018, 22:42
Confirmed User

The Bulgarian Bag looks like fun!

Our new posting rules