SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 14 September 2018, 15:03
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
And this is why I have gotten away from the community. The amount of faux-badassery is just insane. Many people who do them think "based on...training" is same as "completed training and have deployed."

My own workout group has formed a ruck club (cool: it's great exercise), but they like going out in the worst weather, in the middle of the night, and brag about hauling a 40# ruck 6, 8, or 10 miles. I just roll my eyes....
I can only imagine. "Ya know, if I wanted too, I bet I could...." Yeah, STFU zippy - get those TPS reports done.
Old 14 September 2018, 15:06
BTDT

Pussies. Do it with a Large ALICE Pack, and LCE "Hooks" digging into your Kidneys. Uncushioned Jungle Boots with the steel plate heating up on Ga pavement of course.
Old 14 September 2018, 15:08
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
The group culture seems to have a lot of appeal to a certain segment of society. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to hear any insight if anyone has some.
Some people need to "belong" - may be tribal genetics. I prefer "alone" with my volleyball 'Wilson'.
Old 14 September 2018, 16:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Now in terms of one wants a good "ruck" challenge? Without having to enlist, I say go hike the Appalachian or Pacific Crest trail. Or if a time constraint the Wonderland trail at Mt Rainer national park (I have done it twice and I consider it the best hikes in the world - and this is coming from a guy that has had five treks in the Himalayas).

Or if one wants that real ruck international adventure, go trekking in Nepal or India.

My three personal events I have yet to do and want to, if I ever get the time , funding or fitness level again:

Two week Japanese alps trek
Bhutan Snowman Trek
Nepal Everest Marathon
Everest Marathon is on my bucket list as well.....tick tock(Iím not getting any younger)

I did the Goruck Ascent a few years back(Iíve got a bit of a climbing/scrambling bug).

It wasnít cheap, and there were a few goruck radicals there, but most of the folks were pretty solid, same with instructors.

Colorado 14ers are pretty awesome. Really epic area to scramble around with something for everyone.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 14 September 2018, 16:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Some people need to "belong" - may be tribal genetics. I prefer "alone" with my volleyball 'Wilson'.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

My anecdotal experience with GoRuck is that itís a business model built in Sebastian Jungerís book ďTribeĒ.

Not criticism, more like cunning response to natural human behaviour.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 14 September 2018, 17:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Colorado 14ers are pretty awesome. Really epic area to scramble around with something for everyone.
In the last month, my brother and I summitted Mt Elbert in Colorado and Mt Katahdin in Maine. Good way to spend quality time together.
Old 14 September 2018, 17:19
Been There Done That

I need to climb Mt Fuji soon.

Father did it when he was a Marine, with my Uncle who was an Army MP, both stationed in Japan back in 1956. Father still has his stamped Fuji stick in the corner of his office

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 September 2018, 17:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Pussies. Do it with a Large ALICE Pack, and LCE "Hooks" digging into your Kidneys. Uncushioned Jungle Boots with the steel plate heating up on Ga pavement of course.
Yeah, no kidding. I cannot even imagine running around in a pair of jungle boots now. I remember for SFAS we all took our jungles down to this boot place on Bragg where they took out the steel plate and also replaced the soles with this ripple sole.

Old 14 September 2018, 17:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
It reminds me of Crossfit, not that I participate in either Crossfit or GoRuck, in that it's more a social "thing" than a fitness "thing". The group culture seems to have a lot of appeal to a certain segment of society. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to hear any insight if anyone has some.
This is true. It is definitely about the team-building social aspect. The essential idea is not a bad one, throw people together in teams, make them suffer for 12 to 15 hours through very physical and mental events, and make them understand they can do more than they think they can do.

The ones I have done have been custom events with my workout group, so I already knew all the guys in it. It is interesting to see the guys who've never been in the military and see how they respond because the cadre are all active duty or vets and are all very predictable in how they run the groups. It does very much attracted the CrossFit, Spartan, Tough Mudder type of people, but when they are done they think they have just come out of deployment or made it through an entire selection course LOL.

Their bags are excellent, but so outrageously overpriced it's ridiculous. I have used either a 5.11 rush or a UM21 SPEAR patrol pack.
Old 15 September 2018, 08:17
Authorized Personnel

This is all about control of the environment.

If you want to push yourself in a controlled environment, i.e. nobody is there trying to kill you, then Go Ruck or Spartan Race or the Midlife Crisis Challenge.

If you want the opposite, well, many of us know how to get there.

-Stan

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard
Old 15 September 2018, 11:11
Policeman Officer

I wish SOTB were here to call this GAY.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 September 2018, 11:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
^^^ This

Why pay for a watered down imitation of what I used to get paid to do every morning, with group of office bitches trying to find their balls?
Old 15 September 2018, 11:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
^^^ This

Why pay for a watered down imitation of what I used to get paid to do every morning, with group of office bitches trying to find their balls?
true, to an extent. Listen, I have no beef with people trying to make a dollar, and I can see some of these types of events used for businesses or organizations for team-building because that's kind of partly what it is. My issue is with the people who do them, and what they think about it. To see them crying because they had to walk 20 miles with a 45-pound backpack, and some of these dudes are seriously athletic. I roll my eyes and just tell them, quit your bitching, do it with 135 lb of gear, for 30, 40 miles or longer, and Sub-Zero temperatures, or when it's a 110+.

Like I said, it's kind of a cult. The owner, a former SF guy, definitely has a niche market in a very strong and loyal client base.
Old 15 September 2018, 11:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Fucking A.
Old 15 September 2018, 12:15
Freelancer

Quote:
Amen!
Old 15 September 2018, 15:28
Authorized Personnel

Before the GWOT the niche market was like...

-Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81dXa0xdQZL._SY445_.jpg (43.6 KB, 147 views)

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard
Old 15 September 2018, 18:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
^^^ This

Lmao....

Old 16 September 2018, 13:00
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
true, to an extent. Listen, I have no beef with people trying to make a dollar, and I can see some of these types of events used for businesses or organizations for team-building because that's kind of partly what it is. My issue is with the people who do them, and what they think about it. To see them crying because they had to walk 20 miles with a 45-pound backpack, and some of these dudes are seriously athletic. I roll my eyes and just tell them, quit your bitching, do it with 135 lb of gear, for 30, 40 miles or longer, and Sub-Zero temperatures, or when it's a 110+.

Like I said, it's kind of a cult. The owner, a former SF guy, definitely has a niche market in a very strong and loyal client base.

I'm way the fuck out of my lane here, but I'll take the criticism. In no way, shape or form is GORUCK anything close to the long term commitment that any BTDT makes to SOF. The cadre emphasize that the events are slices of what they went through in their qualification courses, but more importantly they try to instill the ethos into these events.

As far as the Toughs go, it's not that physically demanding, 12 hours under the ruck, carry some coupons along the way and get a little wet and sandy, but anyone who's in reasonable shape and done some training prior to the event should be able to complete it. The Heavies are more difficult as a 24-hour event, but again, training and mental preparation should see one through it. And I agree with Devildoc, some participants see completing these two events as equivalent to the services' courses of significance and for this I throw the bullshit flag.

On the other hand, Selection is a whole 'nother animal and this is where I'm way the fuck out of my lane. Selection takes selection course elements from all the services and compresses it into one 48-hour period with no train up to that kind of stress inoculation. In my opinion, and extreme correct me if I'm wrong, it's like showing up on Day 1 for BUD/S or SFAS and immediately being thrown into the Hell Week portion of either course with no prep other than your own. I believe this accounts for the 98+% attrition rate for this event.

SOTB's take is here.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 16 September 2018 at 13:09.
Old 16 September 2018, 13:17
Administrator

Quote:

This.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 16 September 2018, 13:28
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
On the other hand, Selection is a whole 'nother animal and this is where I'm way the fuck out of my lane. Selection takes selection course elements from all the services and compresses it into one 48-hour period with no train up to that kind of stress inoculation. In my opinion, and extreme correct me if I'm wrong, it's like showing up on Day 1 for BUD/S or SFAS and immediately being thrown into the Hell Week portion of either course with no prep other than your own. I believe this accounts for the 98+% attrition rate for this event.
You are wrong.

Our new posting rules