Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 1 April 2017, 10:15
Only slightly useless.

By Honor Bound: Two Navy SEALS, the Medal of Honor, and a story of extraordinary Courage.

Just got this from Amazon and finished it last night. Really good book, and a quick and easy read. Written by Mike Thornton and Tom Norris with Dick Couch.

We're all familiar with the actions for which Thornton and Norris received the MOH. This book goes into greater detail than I've read before about both. It also goes into more detail about both men, their careers before receiving the MOH and their lives afterwards. I really enjoyed this one, and would recommend it.

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 19 April 2017, 14:36
Supporterator

Dereliction of Duty, written by H.R. McMaster. A detailed account of the history of the Vietnam War, focusing particularly on the various POTUS' who prosecuted the war, as well as McNamara and the Joint Chiefs.

Great read, I read it alongside Stanley Karnow's Vietnam:A History, and the accounts line up just about perfectly. Answered many long-standing questions I have had in my mind pertaining to Vietnam and why we handled it the way we did.

H.R. McMaster is our current National Security Adviser. I wonder if anyone on this board has had firsthand experience...
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 19 April 2017, 18:48
Confirmed User

Just finished Metro 2035 by Dmitry Glukhovsky, the last book in the Metro trilogy. If you haven't heard of these books, they're a popular Russian series of post-apocalyptic sci-fi fiction about the seemingly-sole survivors of nuclear war between the US and Russia. The survivors were simply those fortunate enough to be in the Moscow Metro Subway system when the missiles struck and thus survived and formed an underground civilization, complete with warring factions, such as the Nazis (unsurprisingly evil), the Capitalists (also evil) and the Communists (the most evil). For anyone with a working understanding of Russian history, the depiction of the various forms of government should be recognizable, i.e., they all suck. Interesting read, and you can find a translated version online on kindle.
Old 20 April 2017, 02:06
Confirmed User

Stand Tough by Neil Brown

Quote:
Stand Tough is the true life story of one man’s fight against a rare illness and multiple limb loss. When Neil was only twenty seven he was diagnosed with a rare auto-immune disorder called Behcet’s Disease. With a son, a full time career, and a part time role as a hometown Fire Fighter/EMT he didn’t have time to be sick, so he pushed through it all….. Until a simple misdiagnosis of a sore throat cost him his legs and all the fingers of his dominant hand.
Written by a former patient who came extremely close to death. It hasnt slowed him down even without his legs and most fingers. He rides a motorcycle and trains in Jiu Jitsu with a good friend of mine.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 20 April 2017, 02:21
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
Just finished Metro 2035 by Dmitry Glukhovsky, the last book in the Metro trilogy. If you haven't heard of these books, they're a popular Russian series of post-apocalyptic sci-fi fiction about the seemingly-sole survivors of nuclear war between the US and Russia. The survivors were simply those fortunate enough to be in the Moscow Metro Subway system when the missiles struck and thus survived and formed an underground civilization, complete with warring factions, such as the Nazis (unsurprisingly evil), the Capitalists (also evil) and the Communists (the most evil). For anyone with a working understanding of Russian history, the depiction of the various forms of government should be recognizable, i.e., they all suck. Interesting read, and you can find a translated version online on kindle.
Hey, I saw this on Steam, but not in book form
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 20 April 2017, 14:30
0311/8651

Silence of War
I just ordered a book on the Alamo
Old 20 April 2017, 22:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
Hey, I saw this on Steam, but not in book form
Lol yeah I read the books after playing the games. The games had a great immersive story but the controls and ai were pretty clunky
Old 22 April 2017, 14:17
0311/8651

Bikin and brotherhood
Federal friend brought me several books to read( minor knee surgery going on)
Old 23 April 2017, 09:14
A lost ball in high weeds

The Dark Tower

I just started book 4 of the series. I'm not a big Steven King fan but this series is pretty good. Lots of twists and King weirdness. Roland is a "Fist Full Of Dollars" kind of gunslinger.
Old 23 April 2017, 13:10
Red Headed Stepchild

I've been meaning to read up on Ernie Pyle and finally got around to it.

I just Finished Ernie Pyle in England, his dispatches from the London Blitz before the US entered WWII, and am about halfway through Brave Men. The second contains his columns from North Africa Italy and Europe, mostly with the Infantry but some USAAF and Navy as well. Fascinating, hard to put down.

Bill Mauldin is next on the list.
Old 23 April 2017, 22:14
Authorized Personnel

A Modern History of Hong Kong by Steve Tsang, 2004, 278 pgs. Pretty sure the book was conceived as a college textbook but it reads well. He makes the case that the Brits were doomed after the Japanese occupied HK in WWII. Great explanation of the unique HK culture and why it is fundamentally different from the PRC. I've visited both pre and post handover and I noticed quite a difference.
Old 25 April 2017, 08:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
I just started book 4 of the series. I'm not a big Steven King fan but this series is pretty good. Lots of twists and King weirdness. Roland is a "Fist Full Of Dollars" kind of gunslinger.
I read the series last year and loved it. I look forward to the movie coming out this summer.
Old 25 April 2017, 12:20
Mask, Fins & Floaties

Perseid Collapse by Steven Konkoly. I'm on the 4th and final book in the series. Good read.
Old 27 April 2017, 18:24
In From The East

Babcock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 27 April 2017, 22:24
The atomic zit

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Babcock
Recent search says, $30 for paperback, $50 for hardback. Any better ideas? I will peruse the local used bookstores...
Old 28 April 2017, 07:21
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Recent search says, $30 for paperback, $50 for hardback. Any better ideas? I will peruse the local used bookstores...
Was that Amazon you searched on? You may also want to try Alibris they sometimes have his stuff.

Check here, 14.99: http://t.alibris.com/My-Health-Is-Be...hes=13&qsort=p
Old 1 May 2017, 14:03
Darwin Award Presenter

Re reading "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.
"The meaning of Star Trek"
Old 1 May 2017, 14:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
I read the series last year and loved it. I look forward to the movie coming out this summer.
It's be probably ten years since I read that series, I need to reread it. So so good. I've been a big King fan for a long time and have read near everything he's ever written, which helps to understand the Dark Tower series, as most of the settings and a few of the characters are taken from his other works. While I don't care for his personal political views, he's an excellent writer. Can't wait to see the movie!
Old 2 May 2017, 00:20
Been There Done That

Reading the Lost City of Z in advance of watching the movie. The book reads like a long, complicated magazine article--I've got to believe the movie will be a straight telling of Fawcett in the Amazon and isn't interlaced with the book's author's background--which is interesting enough, but not movie material, unless it is very, very well done.... Plus: Sienna Miller.
Old 2 May 2017, 13:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
It's be probably ten years since I read that series, I need to reread it. So so good. I've been a big King fan for a long time and have read near everything he's ever written, which helps to understand the Dark Tower series, as most of the settings and a few of the characters are taken from his other works. While I don't care for his personal political views, he's an excellent writer. Can't wait to see the movie!
I've read King sporadically over the years and think 11/22/63 was a great novel. Since finishing The Dark Tower I've been reading a lot of SK. I reread The Dead Zone and The Shining, then picked up Doctor Sleep and Finders Keepers. Next will be End of Watch. I got 900 pages into The Stand but had to put it down. I plan to eventually finish it but that one really drags along.

Our new posting rules