Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 22 February 2017, 15:30
Authorized Personnel

Extremely corny but entertaining most episodes

Like others, I like to watch the show trying to ID locations I know. And of course Grace Park is another reason. This season they have been filming at the Hilton on Waikiki, which we've stayed at before. Wish they would film over in Kailua and Lanikai, which is where I prefer to stay/hang if not over on the North Shore.

My cousin and one of my wife's best friends live in Lanikai, and another close friend lives on historic Pali Hwy - old Hawaii money. Always nice to have family and friends nearby. We have also stayed at the Turtle Bay property too. Plus, we all surf in my family so the North Shore is another favorite spot.

My wife and I have lived all over and traveled the world. First time we hit the island we really enjoyed it. Didn't think we'd love it so much but we do. My daughter has made up her mind that she is moving in with my cousin to establish residency and attending University of Hawaii.

Had a few interviews for possible gigs over there but nothing materialized. However, if the right offer hits, we would move there in a heart beat. Would consider Oahu as well as the Big Island.

Oh, from what I've read, I believe this will be the last season. Sounds like a few of the actors are ready to bolt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 22 February 2017, 16:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
Like others, I like to watch the show trying to ID locations I know. And of course Grace Park is another reason. This season they have been filming at the Hilton on Waikiki, which we've stayed at before. Wish they would film over in Kailua and Lanikai, which is where I prefer to stay/hang if not over on the North Shore.

My cousin and one of my wife's best friends live in Lanikai, and another close friend lives on historic Pali Hwy - old Hawaii money. Always nice to have family and friends nearby. We have also stayed at the Turtle Bay property too. Plus, we all surf in my family so the North Shore is another favorite spot.

My wife and I have lived all over and traveled the world. First time we hit the island we really enjoyed it. Didn't think we'd love it so much but we do. My daughter has made up her mind that she is moving in with my cousin to establish residency and attending University of Hawaii.

Had a few interviews for possible gigs over there but nothing materialized. However, if the right offer hits, we would move there in a heart beat. Would consider Oahu as well as the Big Island.

Oh, from what I've read, I believe this will be the last season. Sounds like a few of the actors are ready to bolt.
Living in Florida, my dad has always said that Hawaii offered nothing new since Florida has beaches, as well. His mom wanted to go to Hawaii before she died, so my parents and I took her to Hawaii on 2007.

Hawaii is amazing. I can't wait to go back. My dad changed his tune about HI, as well.

I've heard that Alex O'Laughlin(plays McGarrett) has mentioned leaving because he has messed up his body doing stunts and stuff and doesn't want to permanently eff himself up.
Old 22 February 2017, 16:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Living in Florida, my dad has always said that Hawaii offered nothing new since Florida has beaches, as well. His mom wanted to go to Hawaii before she died, so my parents and I took her to Hawaii on 2007.

Hawaii is amazing. I can't wait to go back. My dad changed his tune about HI, as well.

I've heard that Alex O'Laughlin(plays McGarrett) has mentioned leaving because he has messed up his body doing stunts and stuff and doesn't want to permanently eff himself up.
Heard that as well... another friend of my wife is a stunt coordinator for the show and mentioned that as well. FYI there are a ton of Florida transplants over there. 1/2 the pros (maybe more) at the Turtle Bay Resort surf shop were from FL they last time we were there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 22 February 2017, 17:28
Authorized Personnel

The current version is great, I don't know what Spinner is talking about! Not liking the beach scenes? Then again, I'm also a fan of Texas Walker Ranger so some may question my taste.
Old 22 February 2017, 17:29
Authorized Personnel

Meh...I bought the entire series that's available up to this point. The family and I enjoy them. We all binge watched three seasons a couple weeks ago. Keep them coming! It's entertainment.
Old 22 February 2017, 17:32
Been There Done That

I really liked the original series. Remember watching it with my dad in the early 70s when I was just a wee little one.

The newer series, watched for the first two seasons, and then it was kind of "meh".

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 22 February 2017, 17:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
The current version is great, I don't know what Spinner is talking about! Not liking the beach scenes? Then again, I'm also a fan of Texas Walker Ranger so some may question my taste.
My parents are in their early 80s. Come over to their house, there is always a Walker Texas Ranger, Matlock, or Andy Griffith Show rerun on they are watching and totally entranced by.

Walker Ranger was a great show in the 90s. Good TV. And positive message for kids many times.

Old 22 February 2017, 18:18
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

He even sang the theme song, which was a smart production move. Saved money that could be better spent on highly choreographed explosions and chop socky action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I really liked the original series. Remember watching it with my dad in the early 70s when I was just a wee little one.

The newer series, watched for the first two seasons, and then it was kind of "meh".
Seriously leopardprey, go back and revisit the series. You'll wonder what it was you ever saw in it.

The funniest episodes are the ones where McGarrett will go rushing to some crime scene that really wouldn't merit the attentions of a highly specialized police unit.
Old 23 February 2017, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
I'm referring to the original version in my posts, for the most part. I've only seen a couple of episodes of the recent iteration, decided it just wasn't worth the time allocated for watching TV shows.

It's got Grace Park going for it, so right off the bat they start off at 4 stars. Of course, there's probably enough inanity on the show to knock it back to a 2 star rating overall.

The original is a hoot, especially the later seasons, one of which I'm reviewing right now. Almost unwatchable, and you can tell the actors are at that point pretty much phoning it in. It was a show that should have probably gone off the air after its 5th or 6th season, but it was probably still getting good ratings and so they decided to milk that cow for all it was worth.
Old 23 February 2017, 16:31
Violent Social Worker

Grace Park is the only reason to watch.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 23 February 2017, 18:08
Been There Done That

^You have been in Bean Town too long.

Old 23 February 2017, 19:21

Now Mannix, that's a show that holds up.

Nobody could take a beating like ol' Joe.
Old 23 February 2017, 20:22
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^You have been in Bean Town too long.
Okay the beaches are nice too.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 24 February 2017, 20:35
Psalm 91:2

I quit watching it because the "bro-mance " between McGarrett & Dano got out of hand. I already didn't like Scott Caan & his constant bitching and whining on the show ended up being more than I could handle (even getting to see McGarrett shirtless).

If they ever kill his character off I "might" watch it again but I doubt it. Episodes were getting stupid too.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 21 April 2017, 09:15

I'm practically addicted to the new one. Love the show itself. Then again, I love most of the cop shows. Hawaii, imo, is a really good place to have a cop show considering the scenery and the way that they can put things together.
Old 21 April 2017, 11:16
Been There Done That

This show is still going? I never stuck around to see if they made it out of North Korea.....that was enough for me.

Old 21 April 2017, 12:13

How the hell does a cop from 5-0 end up in North Korea?
Old 21 April 2017, 12:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
He isn't JUST a COP...he is 5-O...their jurisdiction is world-wide!
Old 21 April 2017, 12:25

And yet, McGarret would always go racing from 5-0 HQ to investigate a report of jaywalking or something.

I exaggerate, but they'd get involved in cases way below that which required the superior investigative talents of an elite police unit.
Old 21 April 2017, 13:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Well, there were SEALs involved......

Our new posting rules