Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 20 March 2017, 17:50
Been There Done That

Experience with Tanium Endpoint Security?

Hi. Any of our Security and IT experts have experience with Tanium's suite of products? Looking for thoughts and opinions. Is it decent?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I知 attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 20 March 2017, 21:21
I aim to misbehave

I use Tanium currently. It's...strange. It is insanely useful sometimes, and and kinda worthless at other times. When I think of endpoint, I usually think of forensic-type tools, like ecat. Tanium does not do what these tools do. On the other hand, it can be used to remotely push an "ir gatherer" package, rekall analysis and/or memory image.

If you have an enterprise that has a lot of machines off network, where you have to waste time reconciling "vpnuser031415.myenterprise.com" with "corporateworkstation.myenterprise.com" then Tanium can make that process more efficient by orders of magnitude. It can also be used to quarantine infected workstations via IPsec tunnel.

The long and short of it is, Tanium can do anything you script it to do, including knock your DCs over. If you go with Tanium, I'd recommend getting a support contract, as their tech gurus have been invaluable in making a really cool toy into a useful tool. End of the day, it's just a rootkit. It does whatever you tell it to do.

While true:
Continue
Old 20 March 2017, 22:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
I use Tanium currently. It's...strange. It is insanely useful sometimes, and and kinda worthless at other times. When I think of endpoint, I usually think of forensic-type tools, like ecat. Tanium does not do what these tools do. On the other hand, it can be used to remotely push an "ir gatherer" package, rekall analysis and/or memory image.

If you have an enterprise that has a lot of machines off network, where you have to waste time reconciling "vpnuser031415.myenterprise.com" with "corporateworkstation.myenterprise.com" then Tanium can make that process more efficient by orders of magnitude. It can also be used to quarantine infected workstations via IPsec tunnel.

The long and short of it is, Tanium can do anything you script it to do, including knock your DCs over. If you go with Tanium, I'd recommend getting a support contract, as their tech gurus have been invaluable in making a really cool toy into a useful tool. End of the day, it's just a rootkit. It does whatever you tell it to do.
Thanks for the input and perspective BOFH. I asked because they are recruiting me... and had never heard of the product.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I知 attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 21 March 2017, 05:26
Been There Done That

I am vaguely familiar with Tanium at least from early 2016 but not as a direct user. My information may be dated. Like many endpoint security solutions, Tanium started as an endpoint adminstration product that they rebranded itself into a security product. It's schtick is that you ask a question of your endpoints in natural language and get an answer. The downside is that it takes an administration focused rather than security/evidence oriented approach.

Other than the language options having limits, my opinion is that Tanium's achilles heels are 1) that endpoint data is passed over what I recall to be essentially unencrypted P2P. They now say on their website "decentralized data aggregation and distribution primarily across low-latency LAN traffic" but IIRC it's P2P - and 2)if so, like any unecrypted P2P system, scalability and security issues can ensue.

A better question is "who would run that broadly in their network?" I would dig into the above issues during any interview. That said, they do have money based on friends that work for them (or did..would have to check Linkedin which I hardly ever do)

HTH

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 21 March 2017 at 05:35.
Old 21 March 2017, 08:06
Been There Done That

Thank you HDLS.
Old 21 March 2017, 09:31
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Thanks for the input and perspective BOFH. I asked because they are recruiting me... and had never heard of the product.
Fair enough! Yeah, they are a pretty new company. I think as the product matures, it will probably sweep the market. It's very VERY capable...the only real downside right now is that everything we want it to do is a 1-off that has to be scripted. As those capabilities become part of the base package, I think you'll see big things happening.

I've only worked with their tech guys, but they've all been top-notch. Friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable. I'd probably go to work for them, given then chance.

While true:
Continue
Old 21 March 2017, 09:38
Ungood

What kind of work (generally speaking) are you being recruited for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21 March 2017, 12:16
Been There Done That

I'd rather not say publicly. I'm pretty sure you know my history and who I used to work for.
Old 21 March 2017, 12:30
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
I'd rather not say publicly. I'm pretty sure you know my history and who I used to work for.
Okay, cool. If it's in that vein, jump on the train and ride it to compensation-ville

I have not heard of them before, but that means nothing. There's so many firms popping up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21 March 2017, 13:55
Vivat Fraternitatis

As a disclaimer, I have no connection to these cats except friends of friends who work there.

Anecdotally, every data integration I do at large F500 firms - the inevitable question comes up - "can you ingest Tanium data?" Every major player I've dealt with either has it or is looking at piloting it for enterprise adoption. I've never used the tool but the NRT asset monitoring promises to solve a massive pain point for security teams.

From an institutional perspective, they're a major player in the endpoint security space ($3.5 bil valuation) and I'd expect them to IPO within 12-24 months. From what I know about their consulting-like model, not sure if that valuation is warranted because it's not a full product play but IMO employment there at this particular time is a solid option.
Old 21 March 2017, 14:24
Confirmed User

The leadership team hails from BigFix and Mandiant, so that says a lot.

Our company did a pseudo trade study with 3 vendors, including Tanium. Would be happy to discuss via PM if you think it would be valuable.
Old 21 March 2017, 15:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
As a disclaimer, I have no connection to these cats except friends of friends who work there.

Anecdotally, every data integration I do at large F500 firms - the inevitable question comes up - "can you ingest Tanium data?" Every major player I've dealt with either has it or is looking at piloting it for enterprise adoption. I've never used the tool but the NRT asset monitoring promises to solve a massive pain point for security teams.

From an institutional perspective, they're a major player in the endpoint security space ($3.5 bil valuation) and I'd expect them to IPO within 12-24 months. From what I know about their consulting-like model, not sure if that valuation is warranted because it's not a full product play but IMO employment there at this particular time is a solid option.
That's interesting...explains their valuation. Except for a few trial deployments that I am aware of, they don't seem to have done much in my area of the world particularly in terms of event participation. CB has made much more effort.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 21 March 2017 at 15:16.
Old 21 March 2017, 18:30
Been There Done That

You guys are tops! (And I don't mean that in the KidA bottom sense of the word.)

Our new posting rules