SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 November 2000, 03:24
Confirmed User

The guys that jut got back tour said that during workups they did FIBUA training with JTF2, using C8's and MP5's. The training was different from our FIBUA though, they were practicing for low-intensity warfare.

In terms of their kit, I think they need what they have (not that i know what they have) to carry out their mission and be credible. I think it's a matter of the rest of the military not having enough as opposed to JTF having too much.
In regards to the secrecy associated with the unit, I think that's jut so they can get on with tough, realistic training (like we all should be, but aren't) outside of political and media spotlight. I'll bet they don't have Standards Officers commenting on their training, or restrictions on push-ups.

Reservists? I don't know. I know a few guys that have tried (even met a Navy Reserves guy that tried out)but none that have made it. I would imagine some have made it though.
Women? I highly doubt it. They don't have to meet affirmative action/PC/"New Army" bullshit requirements, nobody's looking over their shoulder. Frankly, omen can barely make it in the Reg Force infantry, I doubt they could make it in JTF.

Enfield
Old 28 November 2000, 03:25
Confirmed User

sorry, double post

[This message has been edited by Enfield (edited 11-28-2000).]
Old 28 November 2000, 06:23
jasonh1234
Visitor

Thanks for the pic FNG.
Garett: The "nut protector" you refer to is actually part of his vest. There is a fold out flap that is normally tucked behind the chest area and can be folded down for extra protection. (Apologies if you already knew this.)

Well overall he doesn't look anything to special. In fact, I can almost piece that exact outfit together with stuff I already own. The only thing I'm really having trouble seeing is the gear on his vest.
I'm really curious about the distinct looking, but unidentifiable "bump" on the front of his helmet. What the heck is that?
Old 28 November 2000, 18:15
Confirmed User

Jasonh, there is no need for JTF to look highly distinct. They simply carry what they need, using what they have available. In this case, just the typical flight suits, body armour, tac vest, knee pads, helmet, and balaclava. There is no need for them to experiment with new and untested gear when the tried and true, off the shelf (cheaper) stuff already works well enough.

On his vest, you can see 9mm mag pouches on the left, with pistol mag pouches on top of the 9mm mag pouches. On the right side are three flashbangs in their respective pouches. Underneath the vest, there are two flexi-cuffs attached. There are two utility pouches on each side of the vest, plus comms system being run above that.

I don't know what the 'bump' on the helmet is for certain, but it may be a mount for NVGs.
Old 28 November 2000, 19:19
jasonh1234
Visitor

Lightbulb

Night vision mount huh?
Hmm that sounds better than my guess which was that it was a embossed logo of some type.
Like a seal (stamp not navy).
Old 29 November 2000, 03:49
Confirmed User

Yah thanks for the pics FNG...

One more thing. I have heard from someone who claims to have heard that the military police are watching the JTF2 very closely. Appearently members of the Hell Angels have approached JTF2 soldiers and attempted to get them to join the biker gang scene. Obvious reasons would be their skills in weapons and demolitions.
Old 29 November 2000, 03:51
Confirmed User

Yah thanks for the pics FNG...

One more thing. I have heard from someone who claims to have heard that the military police are watching the JTF2 very closely. Appearently members of the Hell Angels have approached JTF2 soldiers and attempted to get them to join the biker gang scene. Obvious reasons would be their skills in weapons and demolitions.
Old 18 December 2000, 02:57
jasonh1234
Visitor

Thumbs down

That sounds about as absurd as what I heard about the Saddam Hussein approaching the SEALs to join the Iraqi army.
How the hell would the Hells Angels even know who the JTF guys are? It'd have to be the other way around.

Biker #1
"We need some guys that can blow some stuff up"

Biker #2
"Hmm look in the phone book for JTF-2"

Biker #1
"Ah here we go! Look at em all. Let's call em up and ask em to join our gang."
Old 18 December 2000, 03:43
Confirmed User

Maybe along the way an ex-military type or even ex-JTF2 guy joined the gang and said,

"You like what I can do, I know this group of people..."
Old 18 December 2000, 05:45
Confirmed User

It's not that hard...
a)they read this forum, Tested Mettle, or have some buddies in the military, get the same ino we all have
b) they hang around bars in Dwyer Hill, meet the guys, and approach them

They can't be that hard to find, they'll be the really fit guys walking out of the base.

Enfield
Old 18 December 2000, 22:34
Authorized Personnel

Russians will work for vodka, who needs JTF-2.
Old 25 December 2000, 20:19
Disturbance
Visitor

Obviously we all wish there was more info on JTF2 available to us. Just look at all the shit you can get on US SF and the SEALs and all that jazz.

But at the same time I thinks it really good that its all being kept in the shadows. Secrecy is a hard thing to come by these days and the more you have the better off you will be.

-Disturbance
Old 26 December 2000, 03:24
Confirmed User

Heard on the news recently a JTF-2 member was in trouble for helping in a bank heist.
WTF!? Whats happening theses days, not getting paid enough?
Old 26 December 2000, 15:01
Authorized Personnel

Naw it was an ex-Airborne guy, happened a few years ago.
Old 1 January 2001, 12:36
Probationary User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by garett:
Naw it was an ex-Airborne guy, happened a few years ago.
His name is Darnell Bass, currently serving time in AB - was Airborne, the whole situation with he and his reservist buddy Ryan has led to some rather bright lights being directed into the dark corners of JTF2 - specifically at a couple of members who were involved in holding weapons and money for Bass et al. Names are available from the nice people at the Ottawa Citizen. I understand neither of those two gentlemen are with JTF2 any longer

Bass apparently passed two phases of JTF2 testing but failed the physical - as I read it. And FYI - "bars in Dwyer Hill" uhn hun...bar - maybe in Richmond - which is really a corner in a Greek Pizza place located on the main street. Maybe they could meet the bikers at the Army/Navy or the Legion?

Old 11 January 2001, 16:05
Probationary User

Thumbs up

FNG,

Please send me a scan of the pamphlet.

egonza2002@yahoo.com
Old 13 January 2001, 00:42
Sharkman
Visitor

A great link for JTF-2 Info is:
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/4895/

Let me know what you think.
Old 13 January 2001, 00:42
Sharkman
Visitor

Old 13 January 2001, 00:43
Sharkman
Visitor

Old 13 January 2001, 12:52
Sharkman
Visitor

Sorry about all that boys. Disregard the duplicate messages.

Our new posting rules