Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 January 2001, 01:00
Confirmed User

Pathfinders

there is a pretty interesting article at this link http://www.dnd.ca/menu/maple/Vol3_42/army_e.htm
Can pathfinders be used as a seperate group in certain situations or how are they used. And finally do you think JTF guys would have to go through Pathfinder school some time in there career

[This message has been edited by pete (edited 01-23-2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 04:09
Confirmed User

At the moment there is no Pathfinder unit in the Canadian Forces, so once they're done the course they all go back to their home units with amazing patrolling and recce skills (plus fancy kinds of parachuting, amphibious skills, and a few other goodies). Back when the Airborne was around the Pathfinders were the recce platoon of the regt. and were the elite of the Canadian Army.
There is a good chance that some JTF members would have gone through the Pathfinder course at some point, but it's by no means a necessity - first of all, the course is still rare, and secondly JTF recruits from the entire military and Pathfinder is open only to Reg Force Army (maybe only Infantry, I dunno). If while they're in JTF they get sent on Pathfinder... well, we can only guess at the inner workings of JTF and courses they get.

I've been told that every Canadian that has gone to the US Ranger Course first had to go through Pathfinder, and thus Canadians always do exceptionally well. I don't have any offial info on that tho...(besides MCpl Callis graduating 1st)

Amazing course though - imagine not knowing when it would be over??! ah. if only there was still a Pathfinder Platoon.. or for that matter an Airborne Regiment..

Cheers!
Enfield

[This message has been edited by Enfield (edited 01-24-2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 19:35
Confirmed User

I wonder if it is a coincidence that the pathfinder and sniper courses have started up again since the expansion of JTF? Hmmm...the pathfinder course has them trying to track down "terrorists". Sounds logical that JTF would send guys on it.
Old 24 January 2001, 22:51
Authorized Personnel

Looking in some crappy book I got awhile ago, it says that when the Canadian Airborne Regiment was around the pathfinder platoon was training in counter terrorist operations. So its not exactly new. Kinda weird how it took so long to get some Americans that actually passed the course. Makes you wonder if the standards have been lowered like they have everywhere else.
Old 24 January 2001, 22:51
Authorized Personnel

Looking in some crappy book I got awhile ago, it says that when the Canadian Airborne Regiment was around the pathfinder platoon was training in counter terrorist operations. So its not exactly new. Kinda weird how it took so long to get some Americans that actually passed the course. Makes you wonder if the standards have been lowered like they have everywhere else.

SAS; The World's Best by Peter Darman
Writing about the CAR:
"Volunteers may undergo selection for the 42-man Reconnaissance Platoon (it is trained in HALO, HAHO, small boat insertions and counter-terrorism)."

[This message has been edited by garett (edited 01-24-2001).]

Our new posting rules