Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 October 1999, 11:14
Confirmed User

Gurkhas & Marines

How many Gurkhas does the British Army have now? I know that after they lost Hong Kong the force was cut and rearranged, so what is their strength now? I ask because I've noticed they've been deployed in large numbers to both Kosovo and East Timor.

Also, what are the Royal Marines doing now? They didn't get in on Kosovo (tho they were sitting offshore), only the SBS seems to be involved in East Timor, and as far as I know they have no large scale deployments at the moment. Why aren't they used more often? Are the chances of getting a deployment lower in the RM than elsewhere?

Merci!

Enfield
Old 19 October 1999, 19:20
baboon
Visitor

There are now two battalions of Gurkhas, one of which was in Kosovo while troops from the other one are now in East Timor. One is based in Brunei and the other in the UK. There are also three rifle companies which help make up the strength of three British battalions , including , I think, 2 Para.
I'm sure 3 Commando Brigade would be deployed in situations where more light infantry were needed, and especially in very cold areas, because of their constant training in these conditions.
Old 30 October 1999, 04:32
LRSC Grunt
Visitor

The Gurkhas are a beutiful people. Genetically perfect grunts. Do they allow Gurkas to attend SAS selection
Old 29 November 2000, 13:36
....so can i dig myself deeper?

yup, apparently the first selection where a gurkha was allowed to try out was in 1998, after the reorganisation of the gurkha bde
Old 29 November 2000, 14:10
Mike
Visitor

The gurkhas in Brunei, are they paid for by the Sultan who has many, many wives?

And were there ever a black SAS trooper?
Old 29 November 2000, 14:15
Mike
Visitor

The gurkhas in Brunei, are they paid for by the Sultan who has many, many wives?

And were there ever a black SAS trooper?
Old 29 November 2000, 14:39
Crimson Guard

There was a good number of Fijians in the SAS at one time. Some of them participated in Operation Nimrod.
Old 29 November 2000, 19:02
baboon
Visitor

Re Gurkhas- besides the two infantry battalions, 1st and 2nd Royal Gurkha Rifles, and the three reinforcement companies, there are two demonstration infantry companies, one at the School of Infantry and one at Sandhurst. There are also Gurkha engineer, signals and transport squadrons (one of each), each of which forms part of a British regiment-they do not necessarily support Gurkha infantry.
AFAIK the Sultan does contribute towards the financing of the battalion (they swop every 2-3 years ) stationed in Brunei.

Re Fijians- there are something like 600-700 of them in the British army now, and they are reckoned to be first-class soldiers.

[This message has been edited by baboon (edited 12-01-2000).]
Old 30 November 2000, 14:31
Law Pirate

45 Commando Group is currently conducting a six-month operational tour in Kosovo as the Pristina Battlegroup. The Commando has a busy patrolling programme and continues to work within the community developing a level of trust, which is essential in Peace Support Operations. Joint patrolling with UNMIK Police is providing a united front against illegal activities and with a string of early successes 45 Commando Group has gained a sound reputation within the Pristina area.

------------------
"Don't think of it as theft. Think of it as creative augmentation of your operational capabilities."
Old 30 November 2000, 14:36
Law Pirate

The information shown above was taken from the RM site on AltaVista-UK.

------------------
"Don't think of it as theft. Think of it as creative augmentation of your operational capabilities."
Old 14 December 2000, 13:37
Andy
Visitor

How come it seems that RM seems to get passed over in favour of the Paras, when it comes to opertions. The Paras were the first troops into Kosovo, they were sent into Seirra Leone initially, and for the hostage rescue, when you could argue that the RM could better sustained themselves operating from the ships offshore.

Is it to do with politics in the armed forces?, that the RM are Navy, and the the people who make decisions about which units are going to be used, i.e. generals, field marshalls, or what have you, are probably are ex members of the Paras?
Old 14 December 2000, 15:34
Confirmed User

Thanks for bringing that up, Andy. I was also wondering the same thing - basically, what operations other than the initial push into Sierra Leone have the RM been involved in lately? The Paras have been all over the newspapers...
Old 14 December 2000, 15:38
Confirmed User

RM is in Kosovo right now, but they were part of the follow-up force. They were standby for the Sierra Leone Operation (sitting offshore). RM units - SBS, Fleet Standing Rifle Troop - were involved in East Timor. But I thikn the only operation where the RM took a main role was the Kurdish Refugee operation after the Gulf War.

Isn't the current UK Military Commander from the Paras? I know he's Army at least. I've heard his replacement is going to be a Navy Admiral - might this mean the RM will replace the Paras as England's "911"?

Enfield
Old 15 December 2000, 06:20
I-OP
Visitor

Don't you mean "999"? ;-)
Old 15 December 2000, 08:22
Crimson Guard

lol, depends on where you're calling from I guess.
Old 15 December 2000, 14:15
Mike
Visitor

I'm an American. Some British friends told me the British Army has a huge recruitment problems and many units are undermanned. Thus training seemed to be slacking off. On the other hand, the Royal Marines improvised themselved and took actions.
Old 23 December 2000, 08:52
Weekend Warrior
Visitor

The Army is 8000 men undermanned from an ideal strength of, I believe, around 110,000 men.
Decisions about who to deploy and where are based on factors such as operational readiness, manning, training cycles and recent operational service. There is no more reason for the RM to be sent into any particular area then the Paras other then that the Paras were deemed to be in a more suitable current state. I'm sure after being on active service every year but one since 1945, and deploying for three months to Norway each winter, even the Marines appreicate a rest some time.
Also, don't forget that there's more to the British military then just the Paras and Marines.

Our new posting rules