SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 December 2000, 10:14
MH
Visitor

Australian SAS Soldier Arrested In Laos

Has anyone seen the article about the Australian SAS soldier arrested in Laos.
Old 1 January 2001, 06:04
austeyr556
Visitor

Thumbs down

Yes I have seen this article.
It was on our news the other night (Australian news)
They were apparently detained in Laos. The mother and daughter were released saying that there was nothing they can hold them on but the Father (SAS) was detained.
The in-laws of the detained SAS says that he was detained as the Laos government wants to take over all existing gem mines in Laos and they think that they are keeping him so as they can use him as a pawn.
Old 1 January 2001, 09:20
Tom Hunter
Visitor

Hey Aussies:

I tried to find any mention of that situation in the Australian newspapers, but didn;t have any luck. If you come across something, email it to me?

Old 1 January 2001, 22:18
austeyr556
Visitor

WILL DO TOM. WILL LOOK THROUGH RECENT PAPERS FOR YOU.
AUSTEYR
Old 2 January 2001, 00:44
Banned User

Ditto with the info........if you could either post it up or email it to me also, thanks

Zero
Old 3 January 2001, 00:24
Probationary User

heres the deal, i read the article in the courier mail, i dun have it with me now so i will tell u as best as i can, apparently he was managing the mine and he got arrestested... duh, but here is another thing to add to it, when, rather if he returns back to australia he will be going to court as he is working on leave as the manager of the mine which is a big nono, thats just the overview of the article.

------------------
Before you Criticize someone walk a mile in there shoes, then when you criticize them your a mile away and have there shoes!
Old 3 January 2001, 00:31
Probationary User

Tom i will get the article and type it out word for word, for ya ok.. and anyone else who wants it. i wont be here until the weekend cause im goin on holidays so be patient

------------------
Before you Criticize someone walk a mile in there shoes, then when you criticize them your a mile away and have there shoes!
Old 3 January 2001, 00:46
Probationary User

i found some info on the issue but i have to pay to see more of the article on the net

Courier Mail TUE 02 JAN 2001
Ed: 1 - First with the news
Pg: 001
SAS probe on Aussie
THE Australian arrested in Laos on suspicion of stealing sapphires is facing an inquiry by the Australian Defence Force. The ADF is investigating Warrant Officer Kerry Danes's business activities to see if he has breached a ban against working during leave...

thats all i can get for u via the web, its in tues 02 courier mail for qld ppl.

if u wish to wait for me until the weekend for the full article please do so but u may get the picture with this one

http://www.newstext.com.au/pages/sea...leresults.asp?

------------------
Old 3 January 2001, 08:14
MH
Visitor

Laos victim family plead for lawyer
STORIES IN THIS SECTION
Sub-standard nursing homes get reprieve

By ROBERT GARRAN and STEFANIE BALOGH
03jan01

THE family of an Australian couple imprisoned in the communist nation of Laos has sent out an SOS for a criminal lawyer to join their battle to have the couple released.

Ernie Stewart yesterday made "a desperate plea" from Brisbane for a lawyer to volunteer his/her services to help free his daughter Kay Danes and her husband Kerry Danes, who have been detained for more than a week in the capital Vientiane.

Mr Danes, a former Special Air Services Regiment officer, worked as the general manager of Lao Securicor and is being held on suspicion of fraud relating to gems produced by the Gem Mining Lao sapphire mine.

Bernie Jeppesen, founder of GML, yesterday gave a detailed rebuttal of the allegations that Mr and Mrs Danes had stolen sapphires from his company.

Mr Jeppesen said that when Lao officials had opened the GML strongroom on December 1, all stock had been weighed and checked and the strongroom sealed.

Mr Danes then told authorities Securicor Lao would no longer be responsible for the strongroom.

Yet although Securicor Lao relinquished responsibility in the first week of December, Mr Danes was not arrested until December 23.

The interval gave the officials "ample time to arrange for stones to disappear", Mr Jeppesen said.

He said two Lao officials had checked all stock and records every day and would have known of any shortfall.

"If the charges (against the Danes) are stealing, it is an obvious set-up," he said.

The Lao Government had seized Mr Danes, "probably the most respected westerner in Laos", and his wife in a bid to save face, Mr Jeppesen said.

GML had been notified unofficially that Securicor or the Danes or both would be charged with stealing office furniture, computers and other equipment from GML's premises, yet the Danes had been given full authority to secure all assets, he said.

Australian embassy officials were expected to have to wait two more days to gain access to the couple, Mr Stewart said.

He also apologised to the Australian ambassador to Laos, Jonathan Thwaites. On Sunday, Mr Stewart called on Australia to cut ties with Laos but Mr Thwaites had advised that would serve no useful purpose.

"I believe Mr Howard is totally aware of the situation and Mr Downer and I'm sure these gentlemen know exactly what they are doing, how to do it and when to do it," Mr Stewart said.

Old 5 January 2001, 00:29
Probationary User

SAS probe on Aussie
THE Australian arrested in Laos on suspicion of stealing sapphires is facing an inquiry by the Australian Defence Force. The ADF is investigating Warrant Officer Kerry Danes's business activities to see if he has breached a ban against working during leave.
An ADF spokesman said yesterday Mr Danes was still a member of the SAS, and SAS soldiers could not work during leave.
The spokesman said he would be "suprised" if action were not taken on Mr Danes when he is released.
Mr Danes was arrested in his Vientiane office on Dec 22. His wife, Kay, was arrested on the Laos- Thai border as she fled with children Sahra, 11, and Nathan, 7, and $US50,000.
A soldier for 22 years Mr Danes spent 12 with the elite SAS based in Perth and Canungra.
He reportedly took accrued army leave to manage Lao Securicor, which guards gems shipped from the countries largest sapphire mine.
The ADF spokesman said military officials were investigating Mr Danes's current status, but it was understood that he was a serving member who had not been granted discharge.
The spokesman said details of the investigation would be released by the SAS CO in due course, if a breach was discovered.
Department of foreign affairs officials will visit the couple again today to try to ascertain what specific charges each of the Danes faces.

------------------

Our new posting rules