Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 December 2000, 07:47
DFC5343
Visitor

Here's an idea for all you canuks. Punch your CO in the throat, quit, drink beer and play hockey. Come on its easy!
Old 21 December 2000, 13:57
Confirmed User

Try as I might, I just cannot come up with a viable role for the army reserve that (realisticly) we have a chance at. Anything that even remotely resembles mission-capable is out of the question, too much mental inertia at NDHQ, too much jealousy from the regs means no. We've proven that we don't train to the same standard as reg force. In fact I wager you can take some kid off the street and give him the same work up training plus a month of basic and he's good to go for a tour. In fact, if the latest numbers are correct, 4mos of training would indeed be QL2,3 and a 4 course. I'm planning to meet with my MP, and sadly I still don't know what to tell him.
Old 21 December 2000, 14:01
Confirmed User

Hoo-Ah Quimby! I would spearhead that unit if they ever even gave a hope of being formed!
And as for DFC...that is the easy way out. As for hockey...how come hockey isn't illegal to play in Canada yet? They do worse stuff at their parties than army guys do at their own...perhaps we SHOULD disband, and instead of having a CF hockey team, we should have a hockey force with an army team.
As for Snake...how long did your buddy get out? I think that landed immigrant status in Canada is a day. You don't have to speak english; you don't even have to know what the flag looks like. But, if he got out within that last couple of years, he may be in the American secondary call-out-in-case-of-war thing that the American army has for a couple of years after you quit being a regular.
What do we have for armour or mech.? A fleet of ageing relics. I think that any third world army could whup us at an armoured conflict--especially if they have anything newer than a T-34. We are "phasing" in some high-speed LAV III's, but that will take forever.
Old 21 December 2000, 14:15
Confirmed User

Ahhh...Tony. Tell him just that. Tell him that you have been racking your brain for an answer to a seemingly easy Q that has turned out to be a complex and deceivingly hard one. Tell him what you think. Make a snap on an idea or two (make sure that you have the back-up plan in case getting bumped at the ORV)and give him facts. You know that "books are cooked" when it comes to the numbers that he gets for Reg. size and activity. Look at the coy that we have on paper. Who the fuck are half of those people? Have you ever seen them?
If that fails, do it the old Sointula way. Drop by his house with a flat of beer, get pissed and take a swing at him after yelling "Bulllllshit!!" at the top of your lungs, then go to the pub together after his wife kicks you two out, get pissed beyond memory, get in a good scrap with some out-of-towners (just because), then wake up under a picnic bench, trying to remember when you last had your shoes on. Beleive it or not, that will work.
If you can't dazzle him with brilliance, baffle him with bullshit.
Get him to drop by the unit one night without the whistleheads knowing so that he can see what is actually going on.
Old 21 December 2000, 17:01
COL Quaritch is my CO

Well,
you could always raise a Regiment of Ghurkas...

Snake
25th ID(L)
Old 21 December 2000, 17:52
Confirmed User

I think having the MP drop by is a very good idea... hell, have him try to enlist, then he'd get a great view. Or take some of the troops out to meet him (her). But please, avoid the brass!!
All the Parties have defence critics, I remember seeing them commenting on the Fraser report. I doubt any of them have any contact with the Reserves - the NDP critic was my MP, and he never came by the unit. Why not invite them? I'm sure the Alliance would love some ammo to throw at the Liberals. Though I hate to see the CF in another scandal, it's the best (short of an actual war) we can do.

Enfield
Old 21 December 2000, 18:35
Confirmed User

One has to be careful about things they do in uniform as opposed to what you do as a common citizen. Bringing a MP by the unit for a suprise visit (an absoulutly capital idea!) may be in contravention to some arcane QR&O, or most certainly CF protocol. Remember, what is the most important duty of all CF members? Simply this:

Undertake no action that will result in embarassment to the CF or the Minister.

If you think that's not true, which do suppose causes more uproar, media coverage or polictical consequences:
1) A soldier serving on a peacekeeping mission gets killed by a sniper.
2) A soldier that can't make the grade, video tapes others in a bizzare hazing ritual.

Both these are true stories, which one do you suppose everyone remembers? When dealing with politicians, it's best to do so as a private citizen. They are not our friends, at best they are our enemy's enemy
Old 22 December 2000, 01:40
DFC5343
Visitor

Rev...or take back Bob Probert. He could scare the white off a mime.
Old 22 December 2000, 22:35
starlight_745
Visitor

I think one problem with the militia is that recruiting/training is based almost exclusively around the school year. Students are a transient bunch and most will leave the area once finished school to go on to jobs/grad school etc. Recruiting towards residents of the community might be more successful since these people would be more likely to remain in the community for the long term. Also why not offer more "high speed" courses on weekends throughout the year. These could be things like unarmed combat instructor, pistols, combat lifesaver course etc. These would give people more chance to get courses under their belt and not wait until the following summer every year.
Old 28 December 2000, 18:16
Confirmed User

Here's something interesting.
http://wps.cfc.dnd.ca/irc/nh/nh9798/0047.html#t18
Old 29 December 2000, 20:21
Confirmed User

Very interesting, I wonder if anything will come of it.
I think the "sovereignty" arguement is very valid, if we cant defend our citizens with the resources we have and depend on others for that then we cease to be sovereign.
Which is exactly the arguements the Mohawks use to arm the warrior's. They have always claimed sovereignty, and as such have always had an armed warrior presence.

Sua Sponte
Old 10 January 2001, 04:54
Confirmed User

I stumbled across this today, thought it was an interesting idea - the British Army gives out info on postings and tours for it's TA via the net:
www.army.mod.uk/rtmc/home_page.htm

Our new posting rules