SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 15 September 2020, 14:23
Confirmed User

Glock 19 malfunction question

Has anyone here ever experienced / heard of / read about a G19 or Glock series malfunction in a real world situation?

The impetus of my question is seeing the two ambushed and rather bloodied LA County Deputies and listening to Tim Kennedy give Joe Rogan an FN509.

I googled the FN509 and in the dark recesses of my brain remembered the deputies.

Being a Glock(s) owner I instantly thought, if I was in a real fight, muddy, bloody, sweating, getting shot at and had a malfunction with my Glock, maybe one hand disabled - could I proficiently take a a Glock down with the little takedown nubbins. I donít think I could particularly with fouled hands.

The take down lever on the FN and most other manufactures seems very appealing suddenly.

So, has anyone experienced / known of someone taking down a Glock pistol with fouled hands in a real or sufficiently simulated environment? And do you prefer a pistol with an external takedown lever?

Thanks!
Old 15 September 2020, 14:26
Been There Done That

Here’s the real question: if you’re in that serious of a fight, is trying to disassemble any firearm with only 1 hand (bloodied and all) a wise decision?
Old 15 September 2020, 14:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
Hereís the real question: if youíre in that serious of a fight, is trying to disassemble any firearm with only 1 hand (bloodied and all) a wise decision?
I guess that depends on what other options are available to you. But I very much see your point.
Old 15 September 2020, 14:56
Confirmed User

If an individual (whether it be a service member, LE or even a private citizen) has found themselves in a situation as posed above and the individual was able to disassemble said weapon then what would the next course of action be?

If the weapon has malfunctioned in a way that the person needs to disassemble it in the middle of a firefight what would be the likelihood of that individual having replacements parts on hand to fix the problems. Plus there is no way that the individuals would be able to attain the items and address the issue due to the violence of action taking place.

I like external take down levers on my pistols such as a Beretta, and Sig. I find them easier to take down but I have been worked with them for years. I am not a Glock person, and would probably have a better chance of hitting something if I threw it at them.
Old 15 September 2020, 15:42
Been There Done That

Hmmmm.....this is why you carry a backup firearm.

And Glocks donít malfunction.
Old 15 September 2020, 16:11
Authorized Personnel

In short, yes I've seen Glocks malfunction. Couple of videos on YT of them doing it as well. However, I've never seen or heard of one malfunctioning to the point that disassembly was required and the thought of getting back in the fight was a real one.

LP nailed it, carry a backup if it's an actual concern for you. They also make extended takedown levers. They look gawdy as all get out but they do make it easier to take down.
Old 15 September 2020, 16:22
Corpsman Up!

I would like to add another consideration - maintenance. I know local PD and Sheriffs Deputies that rarely, if ever, actually clean/lube their sidearm, much less shoot outside qualification. I have properly maintained my Glock(s) and have never had a malfunction of any kind.
Old 15 September 2020, 16:25
Freelancer

Coat your hands with mineral oil and report back. That's what I use to simulate blood.

Concur with Leopard or carry a P7.
Old 15 September 2020, 16:46
Authorized Personnel

It seems to me that most Glock malfunctions are either simple to solve (tap/rack/bang) and don't require disassembly under fire, or so complicated and catastrophic that they can't be fixed in the time required to get back into the fight. If things shit the bed so bad that I felt the need to disassemble my gun in the middle of a firefight, I'd be looking for another weapon.
Old 15 September 2020, 17:33
Been There Done That

“Two is one, one is none”
Old 15 September 2020, 19:30
Freelancer

To answer OPs question, every malfunction I've ever had with Glocks. Came from using aftermarket parts in my case barrels.

I've also had a gucci Glock choke bad enough. I had to force it apart to clear it. My friend that owned it used as a carry gun. He went back to stock after that incident.

Doesn't matter to me if a handgun has a takedown lever. I'm a 1911 or P7 man.
Old 15 September 2020, 19:31
Authorized Personnel

As dbuck said, maintenance is important. Even for Glocks. I'm sure most of us keep our shit clean the majority of the time but a majority of people that own them, don't.
Old 15 September 2020, 22:17
Been There Done That

I have two stock GLocks and each have over 10,000 rounds through each one and no problems. All Glock mags, parts. Keep them clean and they will run reliably. A lot of my guys buy aftermarket mags, etc and they have problems off and on when we are on the range. No need for a Gucci glock.
Old 15 September 2020, 22:55
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
LA County Deputies and listening to Tim Kennedy give Joe Rogan an FN509.
Did I miss something? What does this have to do with Glock malfunctions?
Old 15 September 2020, 23:06
BTDT

no model of pistol is perfect. I have had a Glock malfunction. It was with factory ammo and the only part I had changed at that point was sights. It happens. I fired thousands of rounds through that gun, with most have an aftermarket trigger and I had no further issues.

I do think if you looked at glock's failure incidence rate, it would be much better than the majority of models. If there is something more reliable, I don't know what it would be.
Old 16 September 2020, 00:46
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post

So, has anyone experienced / known of someone taking down a Glock pistol with fouled hands in a real or sufficiently simulated environment? And do you prefer a pistol with an external takedown lever?

Thanks!
Would an external takedown lever in the scenario you're outlining, with "fouled hands" during a fight, provide any real advantage?

I know plenty of people who have trouble stripping a Glock in a perfect world, much less whilst dealing with adrenalin and loss of fine motor skills.

The Glock is not designed to be stripped when you've lost your fine and complex motor skills, and I don't know of any weapons that are.
Old 16 September 2020, 07:05
BTDT

The odds of this are astronomical: CONUS citizen gets in gunfight, period (52 years and going, for me)... the gunfight involves taking a hit... in an appendage...that is then disabled...and needed for a malfunction...that involves disassembly. Me thinks buying more ammo and training enough is a bigger worry.

But hey people prioritize different things. I carry a 509 Tactical every day - there are a handful (out of the thousands/10's of thousands? sold) of reports (IG and YouTube) of broken Strikers, which apparently are MIM'd. I replaced mine with a Billet Stainless one from Apex, same for the Extractor (also MIM'd).

Just FYI if you go that route.

The Karen Proclamation: ďI fear the virus. I fear the outside. I fear other citizens. I will remain inside forever and live twice is long. I sit with Karen, now and eternally.Ē
Old 16 September 2020, 09:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
The odds of this are astronomical: CONUS citizen gets in gunfight, period (52 years and going, for me)... the gunfight involves taking a hit... in an appendage...that is then disabled...and needed for a malfunction...that involves disassembly.
One should also carry a snorkel in case you fall into a lake while the above happens.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 16 September 2020, 15:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
One should also carry a snorkel in case you fall into a lake while the above happens.
Agreed. This thread is closed.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules