SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 7 May 2018, 14:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
They appear to have found a formula that works for them and the majority of their fans. I think the pivotal moment for Marvel comic movies was when Robert Downey Jr. signed on to do Iron Man. That seemed to send them into a higher orbit than DC.
That is the first movie of the MCU and was their first movie as a studio. Everything else was licensed to other studios and as of now is not in the same continuity. But he was the perfect person to play that role and it steam rolled from there IMO.

Fact of the matter is WB and DC have been a connected thing for decades and they have had plenty of time to learn from their mistakes or aim for something bigger which is what these blockbusters have become.

Until "Blade" came around in the late 90's Marvel hadn't been on the silver screen since the 1944. Yes, there were some straight to video movies in between and some TV-Movies. But they had a long hiatus from the box office. And Blade wasn't a top Marvel property or title character, it wasn't marketed really as a comic movie. I don't think many in the mainstream audience had a clue that it was a Marvel character until the opening credits, they thought they were jut going to a new Snipes movie at basically his prime. I think they learned a lot in that casting, a lesson that led to RDJ in IM.
Old 7 May 2018, 14:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I think it's funny that Marvel finds a way to fit Stan Lee into every movie. I hope he made it into this one.
You will see him in quite a bit a few years ago they filmed everything that had been optioned for quite a while. He spent something like a week doing a junket of cameos for future projects. That said, I just really don't know how much longer he will be with us. It's quite amazing he's lived this long and kept doing conventions, albeit with health safety protocols. I can't help but think the relative recent success has kept him going. This is what he moved to LA for in the late 70's and it's just really taking hold the last 10.
Old 7 May 2018, 14:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Yet the sequel was self indulgent and sucked.

People seem to be glossing over that at least half the Marvel universe movies stunk up the theaters. Both DC and Marvel has missed the mark on numerous occasions.
I'm not aware of a MCU movie not making budget. But the Fox, Paramount and Sony/Universal movies were a mixed bag of quality.
Old 7 May 2018, 14:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
I'm not aware of a MCU movie not making budget.
The last two Star Wars turds made budget but they were still turds.
Old 7 May 2018, 14:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'm not aware of a MCU movie not making budget. But the Fox, Paramount and Sony/Universal movies were a mixed bag of quality.
If you're just counting MCU movies, which started with 2008's Iron Man as you stated earlier, they've all made budget...all 19 of them. Infinity War was the most expensive of them all (350M budget, another 150M in advertising), and it still made at least 1.2B...and hasn't been released in China yet...

...may hit the 2B mark.
Old 7 May 2018, 15:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I didn't think Rogue One was a turd, but The Last Jedi was to me.

ETA: But making budget isn't the real metric for quality. Plenty of comic movies have made more than budget and were awful. That's kind of been the ruling driver or mindset I think at Warner, making big money off of this film, then maybe a sequel. Not building out into a larger universe with everything getting bigger and eventually hitting a much bigger goal in terms of money but hopefully also story quality and scale.

I have been thinking there would be hero fatigue by now. I do think that the rest of film world suffers at the expense of these movies. We don't have real action heroes anymore. They are the safe bet for executives that I despise in the form of most reboots or remakes. I just feel the culture is very risk averse for the most part.

Last edited by DC Photog; 7 May 2018 at 15:31.
Old 7 May 2018, 15:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
If you're just counting MCU movies, which started with 2008's Iron Man as you stated earlier, they've all made budget...all 19 of them. Infinity War was the most expensive of them all (350M budget, another 150M in advertising), and it still made at least 1.2B...and hasn't been released in China yet...

...may hit the 2B mark.
My understanding it hit 1B mark at the fastest pace so far in a new record and to your point will make more internationally.

I still feel like it wasn't as epic as I expected with this being the peak of the three phases of 10 years of films. I'll feel different after the second part is released though probably.

I'm still just impressed with how much was filmed in Georgia, let alone the U.S. Given what they have filmed overseas in the past.
Old 7 May 2018, 15:30
Holy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Those new movies are just terrible, not one redeeming quality.

Star Wars is the baseball of movies, it relies completely on nostalgia for a fan base. No substance.

Haven't seen this movie yet, I prefer to go once the hype has died down and it's not like an iPhone release to get into the theater. Looks really good but not clear how you make an Infinity War movie with no Adam Warlock.
Old 7 May 2018, 15:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Those new movies are just terrible, not one redeeming quality.

Star Wars is the baseball of movies, it relies completely on nostalgia for a fan base. No substance.

Haven't seen this movie yet, I prefer to go once the hype has died down and it's not like an iPhone release to get into the theater. Looks really good but not clear how you make an Infinity War movie with no Adam Warlock.
Warlock was teased at the end of GOTG 2, I'm not spoiling who was teased at the end of this. They can't make Infinity to the "t" of the source material, forget rights, it's too many characters to follow. I unfortunately think the hero teased at the end of this will greatly substitute Warlock's overall centralized importance to the Infinity saga.
Old 7 May 2018, 16:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
They can't make Infinity to the "t" of the source material...
Yeah...some of the heroes died violent deaths in the original source material. If I recall correctly, Iron Man got his head ripped off, Cyclops suffocated when Thanos put an air-tight cube around his face, and he turned Wolverine to rubber when he used his claws to stab Thanos in the chest...

...oh, and he shattered Cap's shield with a couple of hits, as well...
Old 7 May 2018, 17:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
He did. My son tells me they've filmed a bunch of cameos already with him somehow, since he's so old.
Good deal. I've always enjoyed seeing him pop up in the films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Wonder Woman? ^
I thought Gal Gadot did a god job bringing the character to life. She's no Lynda Carter, but she did a good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
I turned 10 the summer that Star Wars was released (1977) and I saw it in theater at least 10 times. I thought (remember I was ten years old) it was the best movie ever made. I saw the following two movies multiple times as soon as they came out. I was a fan.

I haven't seen ANY of the new ones. Numbers four and five were pretty bad. Revenge of the Sith was SO BAD, I have lost interest in seeing anything since. Angers me how badly they've fucked up the franchise.
Old 7 May 2018, 18:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
We don't have real action heroes anymore.
James Bond is still pretty cool, and Mission Impossible is under-rated IMO. Then you've got Liam Neeson and Denzel putting in a strong showing, not to mention Jason Statham and The Rock. And fairly recently, Bourne, as good as they come.

Quote:

I thought Gal Gadot did a god job bringing the character to life. She's no Lynda Carter, but she did a good job.
I dunno, Gal is giving Lynda a tough run...

Old 7 May 2018, 18:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I dunno, Gal is giving Lynda a tough run...

Gal doesn't have Lynda's birthing hips.
Old 7 May 2018, 18:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Gal doesn't have Lynda's birthing hips.
True, but

I guess you're an ass man.
Old 7 May 2018, 18:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I guess you're an ass man.
I literally LOLd. The dog is looking at me like I'm a moron.
Old 11 May 2018, 18:20
Confirmed User

Took the kids out of school for half a day to get an empty theater to watch it.

Glad we did it.

Great movie.

My son said "I can't wait till I get to make my kids watch this movie."

So the first Guardians of the Galaxy is correct.

He said that he may be an... "a-hole". But he's not, and I quote, "100% a dick".

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson

Our new posting rules