SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 2 January 2012, 00:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
I'm not gonna be able to get it up for a week! That scene dropped my manhood like a hot rock - I may salvage some if they crucify the Lannister kid to avenge him.

Seriously - where is the star power coming from now? Sean Bean was the ONLY recognizable male lead - altho the Half Man himself has played many noteable parts on his own. Behind him, it's just the Queen, who played Leonidas' wife in 300. I'd like to think they've developed enough characters to do without, but not really seeing it. This could end up like The Tudors - great idea, but no talent behind it.

I hear ya, from way back when you wrote this :) I don't know, maybe in the next round some new faces appear. But I also recall Rome had no real recognizable start power (to US audiences) and it kicked ass.
Old 6 January 2012, 04:53
Paul Blart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
I hear ya, from way back when you wrote this :) I don't know, maybe in the next round some new faces appear. But I also recall Rome had no real recognizable start power (to US audiences) and it kicked ass.
Rome did indeed kick ass. Titus Pullo was the man !
Old 6 January 2012, 07:55
Been There Done That

There are plenty of shows that don't have stars and IMO they can be better because you do not have preconceived notions of the actor and the role they're playing.

Rome is one of my all time favorite shows. I can't believe they ended it after two seasons.

Deadwood is another one. It wasn't about Timothy Olyphant, it was all about "Al Sweringen".

Now they need to get their act together and rock season two of this GOT show. I'm waiting.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 7 January 2012, 03:22
Paul Blart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
There are plenty of shows that don't have stars and IMO they can be better because you do not have preconceived notions of the actor and the role they're playing.

Rome is one of my all time favorite shows. I can't believe they ended it after two seasons.

Deadwood is another one. It wasn't about Timothy Olyphant, it was all about "Al Sweringen".

Now they need to get their act together and rock season two of this GOT show. I'm waiting.
Yeah, I was bummed that both shows only ran 2 seasons each. They were both fantastic, and Al Swearingen was an artist with no peer (as far as TV goes) with his use of profanity.
Old 7 January 2012, 06:02
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Before Rome, many years ago, the BBC produced a miniseries of "I, Claudius" that was some of the finest television ever.
I remember watching it as a kid and being blown away.
It runs thirteen episodes and, if you need a ROME fix, where ROME ends with the rise of Octavian/Augustus to Emperor.... I, CLAUDIUS picks things up towards the end of his reign, following the life of Claudius.
We see the reigns of Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, and the grooming of young Nero.

Siān Phillips as Livia, the wife of Augustus, is one of the most evil female characters in TV or film... all the more so because she was real.

The story is amazing and if the backstabbing politics of ROME interested you, I highly recommend seeking out I, CLAUDIUS... some of the finest television ever.

One warning though... it has a great ensemble of actors, but the production values and BBC limitations keep the scale small and intimate... almost entirely indoor low budget sets.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 7 January 2012, 06:26
Been There Done That

I'll add it to my must-see list when I get home and can run netflix!

Thanks.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 13 January 2012, 21:21
Confirmed User

This series is amazing (and faithful to the book which I really appreciate) and if they keep up the good work, its going to be an awesome series that has many many seasons of exciting and engaging television. I cranked through the last book in the series last week and now I'm waiting for the next book to be released. If anyone is on the fence about reading the books, I highly recommend them.

However, I will second the hate for the author, he really likes to kill characters. I didn't read the book for a few weeks after I got to the Red Wedding chapter because I was so pissed.
Old 13 January 2012, 21:27
Migratory Coconut

I just want to see what actually happens with John Snow. I will say his penchante for killing characters became easily predictable when he killed one of the wolves of so quickly.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 13 January 2012, 22:43
Doc McNasty

It was only a matter of time: Hitler found out about Ned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kLSY...eature=related
Old 13 January 2012, 22:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
And when Hitler found out about the Red Wedding? He poisoned his wife and shot himself in the head!
Old 13 January 2012, 22:54
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
"By now I know her nipples better than my own balls!"

Holy shit ROFLMAO!!

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 16 January 2012, 00:07
Confirmed User

Sean Bean dies in every time!!

http://youtu.be/zJODirze5EM
Old 16 January 2012, 00:32
War on Christmas veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberJosh View Post
Sean Bean dies in every time!!

http://youtu.be/zJODirze5EM
not in every movie... but that was still pretty cool.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 7 March 2012, 22:57
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Slightly behind the times as far as watching it, but it's pretty good so far. I'm nearing the end, but it doesn't matter knowing that Ned gets his noggin lopped off.

In general, I'm not a big fan of Dungeon and Dragons type of fantasy movies or series, but this one is a bit different. I like the premise of the seasons being able to last for years, such as the current summer being in its 9th year and the foreboding warning that "winter's coming".

Whenever Tyrion shows up on the screen I feel like I'm watching Stewie from Family Guy come to life. He's hilarious, sounds just like Stewie.
Old 7 March 2012, 23:12
Nec Aspera Terrent

Thumbs up A shame I don't have HBO...

I keep trying to watch the entire first season, but all in all only have managed to watch two full episodes - and bits of another three. Still, I am fascinated and excited - seems to me that the hype behind the is well-founded.

The first season came-out yesterday on DVD and Blu-Ray. I decided to buy it, though it hasn't been opened yet. Busy with a new game...

Teaser for the April 1st premiere of Season Two...

http://www.youtubeDOTcom/watch?v=I93RFzrPQqw

Edit: Oh, and it's a good little homeage/parody from the Simpsons, making their intro just like GoT's...

http://io9DOTcom/5890410/watch-the-s...=gameofthrones

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Last edited by Fofo; 7 March 2012 at 23:15. Reason: Added URL.
Old 7 March 2012, 23:50
Life is simple, not easy.

I am on the 4th book. I am tredging along (it's 1000 pages) but the author keeps pulling me in. I believe there are 4 more books.

I don't think this is a "spoiler" but Jesus man I want Jaime to bang Brienne if only because she kicked his ass and I am sick of him bothering with the incest deal.

Tyrion is my hero. Don't have HBO but that dude is a great actor for that part!

And the wall parts with Jon bore me to death. Thankfully he has the Daenerys chick worth reading about again.......
Old 8 March 2012, 00:02
Retired Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I am on the 4th book. I am tredging along (it's 1000 pages) but the author keeps pulling me in. I believe there are 4 more books.

I don't think this is a "spoiler" but Jesus man I want Jaime to bang Brienne if only because she kicked his ass and I am sick of him bothering with the incest deal.

Tyrion is my hero. Don't have HBO but that dude is a great actor for that part!

And the wall parts with Jon bore me to death. Thankfully he has the Daenerys chick worth reading about again.......
At least you made it past book three. I threw the fucking thing across the room and vowed to stop reading. But I started back, and things are really getting interesting now in Book 5.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Old 8 March 2012, 00:56
Life is simple, not easy.

LOL@ Husker

The author likes to off characters, fine.

But come on we could cut a lot of pages bro.
Old 8 March 2012, 11:39
Confirmed User

How far are you into book 5? My guess is that by the end you'll be throwing the fucking thing across the room again.
Old 8 March 2012, 12:53
Been There Done That

I tried the audio books to get ahead of this but the damn story goes on and on, and on, and on...

Yea, I would have thrown it a few times. I'm almost officially not into it anymore, probably watch the show though.

Our new posting rules