Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 29 April 2012, 18:10
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
Alright, I can see it now. Didn't really pay attention to it and frankly I thought that Renly was basically useless to the story. He had almost no impact on anything because of being worried about all the wrong things.I'm honestly much more concerned with what will happen at The Wall than anything else in the story.
I read an interview with Martin and he said he thought that he'd been more obvious about Renly being gay but looking back he now saw where it wasn't so obvious. This is why they decided to make no bones about it in the shows.

Don't count out Rickken. It started with Rickken and I think it will end with Rikken. He's gonna be a powerful magic user and I think he and Jon Snow are going to be the key to stopping whatever is coming from beyond the wall. Just my opinion & something I'd do from a writer's viewpoint. I'd also have Daenerys and her dragons kick the crap out of all the buffoons fighting over who's gonna be king. I'd also let little Arya fininsh developing and become a lethal assassin to go in and make some surgical strikes to rid the cast of characters of those who need to go.

From reading the books the main characters are Jon Snow, Rikken, Daenerys, and Arya.......I think the evil beyond the wall has something to do with the lord of light and that witch Millisandre. At some point gonna have to get together with Daenery and her dragons for a final showdown.

Guess time will tell if I'm half way right or not.

I just hope Martin gets the story finished before he croaks or something. He got tangled up in prequels or other books related to the main series....ones that expound on some plot lines in the book. Kind of like Robert Jordan did and time ran out for him.

Finish the series first then do the parallel plot books and the prequelss...especially when you have readers who have followed the main series for years.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 29 April 2012, 19:21
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
Finish the series first then do the parallel plot books and the prequelss...especially when you have readers who have followed the main series for years.
Especially when those readers are getting a bit pissed.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 29 April 2012, 20:36
Confirmed User

The written story

i began reading again and have for sometime indulge on a variety of books. recently i have been enjoying the Game of Thrones and got hooked but have not read the books. Maybe it is time...

thanks for your input.
Old 29 April 2012, 22:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Just how big are those dragons supposed to get?
*Putting geek hat on*

In the first season they have a scene where Ayra is sneaking through a room that has some dragon skulls in them, the old dragons were HUGE, but according to the text keeping them confined leads to them being stunted and small, the size of a large dog.

*Taking my geek hat off*
Old 30 April 2012, 10:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
It's very veiled in the books because of the writing but if you look you will see. Didn't feel like paging through books so I searched. Check this out.http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchi...orasrenly.html
Thanks for that.

I remember reading many of those comments/passages but I guess I never put two and two together.
Old 30 April 2012, 22:15
Confirmed User

I look forward to this show weekly and I honestly enjoy it, but it it a bit frustrating. I'm thinking of dvr'ing the rest of the season and waiting to watch them back to back.
The episodes aren't long enough to squeeze in so many sub-plots and tangents. Feels like a daytime soap-opera...only difference is daytime soaps are everyday and not a week apart.
I may just buy the audio books. Great story...just don't like the format.
"You see, violence merely creates more violence. It's a cycle that never ends... You insult me, I shoot you, you drop dead, someone else insults me... And it just keeps repeating over and over again. And for what?"
Old 1 May 2012, 16:08
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteran View Post
*Putting geek hat on*

In the first season they have a scene where Ayra is sneaking through a room that has some dragon skulls in them, the old dragons were HUGE, but according to the text keeping them confined leads to them being stunted and small, the size of a large dog.

*Taking my geek hat off*
Isn't there a point in the series where the black one is captured and eventually cooks a few people? I don't think these are stunted for long.
Old 1 May 2012, 19:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
Isn't there a point in the series where the black one is captured and eventually cooks a few people? I don't think these are stunted for long.
I was talking about the dragons that were dead already, there's multiple passages where it describes how the older dragons were HUGE and as time went on and the dragons were confined (because they weren't being used as weapons of war anymore and they posed a risk to the populace) they became sickly and stunted.

And yeah, the dragons that Dany has are pretty good sized, it'll be interesting to see what happens with them in the next book (I don't wanna spoil the surprise for anybody who hasn't finished the books yet).
Old 2 May 2012, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
Especially when those readers are getting a bit pissed.
Damned straight.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 2 May 2012, 22:58
USMC Sniper, HOG

After season 1 started, I read all of the books. So, the tough part is that I have the story line already in my head. Who lives, dies etc. That being said, for a HBO Series, they are doing an outstanding job staying loyal to the books.

(Insert your name), what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

USMC. We put the FUN in Fundamental Extremist! :cool:
Old 2 May 2012, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtUSMC8541 View Post
After season 1 started, I read all of the books. So, the tough part is that I have the story line already in my head. Who lives, dies etc. That being said, for a HBO Series, they are doing an outstanding job staying loyal to the books.
I've been pleasantly surprised that they've stayed as true to the books as they have........usually movies and series royally screw the books over.....True Blood being a great (really bad) example. Nothing like the books and they almost got to the point of pissing me off so much I stopped watching (would have except for all the hot guys asses I get to see)

Old 5 May 2012, 09:45
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
It started with Rickken and I think it will end with Rikken. He's gonna be a powerful magic user and I think he and Jon Snow are going to be the key to stopping whatever is coming from beyond the wall.

From reading the books the main characters are Jon Snow, Rikken, Daenerys, and Arya.
Linda - did you mean Bran, not Rikken. Rikken plays such a small role in the books.

I have yet to read Dance with Dragons since I don't want to wait a year (or two) for the next book. Paperback version of Dance with Dragons comes out 6/2012. But Winds of Winter is "maybe" Summer 2013.

Considering he took 6 years between SOS and DWD, I may have to re-read the damn series while waiting.

bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 5 May 2012, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
Pre-dating King Arys, there was a huge battle where one Targeryan fought another for the throne, and both had a dragon or two. It dates to a time before the books. These two Targeryan's cooked a shitload of people, and so it was decided that no longer would dragons be used for war. So they caged them up and did not let them develop. Over time the dragons all died off.

I want to say 2-3 generations before King Arys.

bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 5 May 2012, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Linda - did you mean Bran, not Rikken. Rikken plays such a small role in the books.

I have yet to read Dance with Dragons since I don't want to wait a year (or two) for the next book. Paperback version of Dance with Dragons comes out 6/2012. But Winds of Winter is "maybe" Summer 2013.

Considering he took 6 years between SOS and DWD, I may have to re-read the damn series while waiting.
**Thumps self on head** Can't believe I did that...I meant Bran cuz he has the magic to see through the animals. I haven't read "Dance With Dragons" yet either. I've had it on Kindle since it came out but knew I'd be pissed if I got caught up in the story then had to wait AGAIN. Think I'll just wait till Martin finishes off the series. Looks like he's gonna have to in order to keep up with HBO. I hope.

Rikken's role was small but I somehow think all the living Stark kids who have that connection with their wolves will end up being useful for the end of the series......wasn't it in book one that only the old gods gifted the most powerful magicians with the magic to inhabit and control animals? I'm thinking this is going to come into play. The wolves already took over the characters of their humans adn a little of the wolves personality got into the humans.

I always re-read at least a part of a series when a new book is pulblished or when the last one is published in the series I'll do it start to finish and read the final book. In between times I usually go back to the previous book and that refreshes my memory enough to read the new one without any problems.

Old 5 May 2012, 19:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Pre-dating King Arys, there was a huge battle where one Targeryan fought another for the throne, and both had a dragon or two. It dates to a time before the books. These two Targeryan's cooked a shitload of people, and so it was decided that no longer would dragons be used for war. So they caged them up and did not let them develop. Over time the dragons all died off.

I want to say 2-3 generations before King Arys.
The Blackfyre Rebellion?
Old 5 May 2012, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteran View Post
The Blackfyre Rebellion?
I think you are correct, yes!

For some reason I also think Summerhall holds some significance as well - especially for Raeghar(sp?) and Arys. Something about an attempt at resurrecting Dragons or something like that, and how it all went wrong.

I do like how Martin does not make the entire story about magic and sorcery, but just the same allows it to hold center stage to most of the plots.

Old 5 May 2012, 21:08

Quote:
Think I'll just wait till Martin finishes off the series. Looks like he's gonna have to in order to keep up with HBO. I hope.

You and me both!! Dude takes an awfully long time..... I still might re-read the entire series this summer once I get my yard work done. Too hot in the summer to do much else

Rikken's role was small but I somehow think all the living Stark kids who have that connection with their wolves will end up being useful for the end of the series.......

The Starks are just a unique bread of stock. I have read some theories about who Jon's parents truly might be, but I won't ruin that here. But Arya and Bran obviously are most peoples favorites, but I got a feeling Sansa has some part to play as well, although nothing makes me suspect she has powers like her younger siblings. Of coure Rikken is the Wild Card. And wow I was shocked about Catelyn at the end of Feast!

After reading non-fiction exlcusively for 20+ years, I remember KidA recommending Ken Fosset's "Pillars of the Earth" which I loved. Then I stopped reading for 3 years and then Martin sounding interesting. Dude is long winded at times (I skim through some stuff) but he keeps me intrigued with just who he will kill next.........

Old 6 May 2012, 23:14

retarded comment

Old 6 May 2012, 23:15

Yep....over the years I've often said, "come one dude, move the story along already."

I also like it's not all magic and love how he's put the medieval elements into it tho he does get sidetracked from the story with those details etc.

Old 7 May 2012, 10:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
...wasn't it in book one that only the old gods gifted the most powerful magicians with the magic to inhabit and control animals? I'm thinking this is going to come into play...
I was thinking that too. If I was Martin I'd end up with the Stark kids mind-controlling the dragons.

Since you've got DWD on hand read the first chapter (or maybe it's a prologue). More info about the mind control thing.

Our new posting rules