SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 21 October 2012, 22:13
On the Extract Bird

The show is really catching hell for its portrayal of Beirut. Not to mention they film in Israel. For some reason the Muslims are not too crazy about that.
Old 21 October 2012, 22:52
Authorized Personnel

I think it was pretty ironic that right after I read the article, a car bomb exploded in downtown Beirut.
Old 21 October 2012, 22:53
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Linda and Co....

Check this out. Before you post about a TV show or a movie in detail include this in bold, big fucking letters:

SPOILER ALERT

Thanks...
Regardless of their so-sincere apologies afterwards, they're not likely to change their actions -- especially since the concept of writing about something without blowing the plot is really so difficult....
Old 22 October 2012, 01:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
... the Muslims are not too crazy about anything that's female, not theirs, under their control or has independent thoughts and beliefs. .
There, i fixed it for you..;-)

I don't usually post political type posts, but your post begged!

H
Old 22 October 2012, 07:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Regardless of their so-sincere apologies afterwards, they're not likely to change their actions -- especially since the concept of writing about something without blowing the plot is really so difficult....
I'll provide an incentive;

If anyone shares details without posting spoiler alert in red, I'll ban them for a week.
Old 24 October 2012, 09:52
Drawing my cutlass

Just gave it a look.

Meh.

Didn't hold my interest.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 24 October 2012, 09:59
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Just gave it a look.

Meh.

Didn't hold my interest.
Ok mister...just because it's your birthday dont think you can come on here and be hurtful and diss our show!

I still say it would be better if HBO did it!!
Old 24 October 2012, 10:00
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
There, i fixed it for you..;-)

I don't usually post political type posts, but your post begged!

H
Good edit H!
Old 24 October 2012, 11:30
Confirmed User

SPOILER ALERT----

My whole issue with the show is the premise is absurd. Marine Snipers are the least likely people in the world to be turned by torture, and then the whole Perfect strangers Balki situation living with Abu Nazir and tutoring his son. They could have at least found someone who was all ready sympathetic to their cause, and kidnapped them, and it would play more realistically. The idea that he somehow bonded with Abu Nazir's son, and totally ignores his own son when he gets back also doesn't make sense. The idea that he converted to Islam doesn't make sense either. As a Sniper he probably spent years observing a culture that has very little regard for human life, endangers their children by embedding them in target areas, and a couple drone strikes would turn him, and make him want to kill the Vice President? Highly unlikely.

The way they portray Brody interacting with fellow Marines is also unrealistic, when they asked him to look into things with Walker he would have even if he couldn't talk about it. Not even being remotely curious as to why a former co-worker became a jihadist is highly unrealistic.

Claire Danes character is so unrealistic as to be unwatchable. In the age of data-mining you really expect me to believe that a CIA agent could hide a mental disorder from the Agency? Not to mention her career would've been over after creating an international incident in Iraq the first time. But, all the things to maintain a clearance, the constant polygraphs, the initial psychological tests, the background check into your family's medical history, histories of mental illness, no rock left unturned even with the casual aquaintances.

I feel like what would've been more interesting to potray is a sane Case Officer who predicted events, and wasn't taken seriously because of bureacratic innertia. In the end I'll still watch it, but I spend a lot of time cringing.
Old 24 October 2012, 11:53
Drawing my cutlass

No disrespect intended....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
Ok mister...just because it's your birthday dont think you can come on here and be hurtful and diss our show!

I still say it would be better if HBO did it!!
....it's just one clerk's opinion.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 24 October 2012, 12:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing_snake View Post
SPOILER ALERT----

My whole issue with the show is the premise is absurd. Marine Snipers are the least likely people in the world to be turned by torture, and then the whole Perfect strangers Balki situation living with Abu Nazir and tutoring his son. They could have at least found someone who was all ready sympathetic to their cause, and kidnapped them, and it would play more realistically. The idea that he somehow bonded with Abu Nazir's son, and totally ignores his own son when he gets back also doesn't make sense. The idea that he converted to Islam doesn't make sense either. As a Sniper he probably spent years observing a culture that has very little regard for human life, endangers their children by embedding them in target areas, and a couple drone strikes would turn him, and make him want to kill the Vice President? Highly unlikely.

The way they portray Brody interacting with fellow Marines is also unrealistic, when they asked him to look into things with Walker he would have even if he couldn't talk about it. Not even being remotely curious as to why a former co-worker became a jihadist is highly unrealistic.

Claire Danes character is so unrealistic as to be unwatchable. In the age of data-mining you really expect me to believe that a CIA agent could hide a mental disorder from the Agency? Not to mention her career would've been over after creating an international incident in Iraq the first time. But, all the things to maintain a clearance, the constant polygraphs, the initial psychological tests, the background check into your family's medical history, histories of mental illness, no rock left unturned even with the casual aquaintances.

I feel like what would've been more interesting to potray is a sane Case Officer who predicted events, and wasn't taken seriously because of bureacratic innertia. In the end I'll still watch it, but I spend a lot of time cringing.
Quoted for truth. The show is as nutty as Claire Dane's character.
Old 29 October 2012, 18:41
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
Didn't Brody's memory card of the video get picked up at the dead drop? He left it in a crevice, made his mark w/ chalk then after it was all over went back and I didn't notice that he retrieved it looked like he was looking for it though.

Only way I see Carrie coming back is if she starts breaking the thing wide open and they realize her mental condition actually causes her to make the necessary connections. Or maybe they will utilize her relationship to Brody and exploit it.

Still have no real clue who the mole is though.
Well looks like I was right.

Anybody got any clue who the CIA mole is? Still trying to figure that one out.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 29 October 2012, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Not true SOTB.....I was spanked once don't want to be again so I'll mind my p's and q's.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 19 November 2012, 02:29

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert.....if you are not caught up on the episodes do not read............

^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

Okay on tonight's episode the reporter disabled the phone. CIA is trying to follow to see where she's taking Brody and what they are up to.

Questions: Wouldn't they also have his vehicle bugged for sound and also a GPS tracker on it?

Also, I would've had Brody's body bugged in some way.

Next....why didn't they use satellites? Could've then followed the chopper etc. I know the sats have to be positioned overhead but wouldn't they already have arranged for that for this situation? I would have if I had the resources considering Brody kinda blew it and was iffy and especially since an attack is in the works.

Have I read too many books or is the above realistic?

And I still can't figure out who the freaking mole is....though I think it's the Middle Eastern guy at the CIA who stuck his head into Estes' office when Brody was given the combo to the safe for target aquisitions.

And why the hell hasn't Brody mentioned that yet? He KNOWS there's a mole in the CIA. I don't trust him.

The writers need to pick it up some and start resolving some of the plot lines and stop making the CIA, Secret Service et.al. look like idiots. Too many side dramas going on.

Oh and the guy who stabbed Brody in the hand is way bent. I don't think he's really working for Estes. He has another agenda. Maybe he's the mole.

Old 28 November 2012, 23:45
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Regarding the last episode..

Spoil Safe

Does anybody know why the collector who picked the lock on the apartment door stopped abruptly before entry to take a picture of the inside trim? I understand why he takes the pictures inside the apartment but I have no clue why he takes a pic of the outside door trim.

Thanks
Old 29 November 2012, 04:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
Spoil Safe

Does anybody know why the collector who picked the lock on the apartment door stopped abruptly before entry to take a picture of the inside trim? I understand why he takes the pictures inside the apartment but I have no clue why he takes a pic of the outside door trim.

Thanks
There was a hair there. I'm guessing the picture was to ensure that they put it back exactly the way that they found it so nothing would seem amiss.
Old 29 November 2012, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteran View Post
There was a hair there. I'm guessing the picture was to ensure that they put it back exactly the way that they found it so nothing would seem amiss.
Cool. Thanks, It's been on my mind the past day and a half.
Old 29 November 2012, 11:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
Cool. Thanks, It's been on my mind the past day and a half.
The hair?

Ok, weak humor i know :-)
Old 10 December 2012, 22:09

******* Spoiler Alert ********

Does anyone else think that it wasn't Nazir who got shot in the tunnel? The preview for the season finale sure made it seem like he is still invovled in the next episode.
Old 10 December 2012, 22:57

Meehhhh,..I think it was him. There were a bunch of people accompanying the body...who knows though..

I think it was him and it will be the trigger that sends Brody on a drama filled tirade in the finale.

Our new posting rules