SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 19 April 2013, 15:43
These ain't my pants.

Oblivion

Just saw it today. I hit the matinee before I have to check on for work. $8/ticket. I actually liked it a lot. I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan at all, but thought the overall premise was very well done. Some awesome imagery and shot selection as well.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 19 April 2013, 17:45
On the Extract Bird

Thanks for the review Chubs. Planned on seeing it tonight but wasn't too excited since I am also not a big TC fan. Good actor, just cant get past that Scientology thing. But I'll go now. Thanks again!
Old 20 April 2013, 10:45
These ain't my pants.

Haha it isn't the Scientology thing that does me in so much as the fact that I always feel like I'm watching Mission Impossible when I see him in a movie. I keep waiting for that annoying ass music to chime in. This was the first movie of his, in a good bit, that I didn't feel like I was watching a spy movie.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 20 April 2013, 21:32
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Thumbs down

I enjoyed the movie right until as a recent news critic put it, the movie stopped being a really great sci-fi movie.

I'm kinda ticked, because the movie really did have potential.

The cinematography -- wow. The plot -- right up to where Harper meets the badguys -- pretty good. And it wasn't too bad until right after he retrieves the med kit. After that, well -- it pretty much nose dives just like his cool-assed helo/jet.

This movie should be reserved for HBO viewing -- it sucks that bad. But because of the fantastic CGI, you should cough up a buck at the dollar theater to see it on the big screen....
Old 20 April 2013, 22:38
On the Extract Bird

Did anyone notice that Victoria did not recognize the number on Cruise's suit when he went in to get the med kit. No way she would not have realized it was the wrong number.
Old 20 April 2013, 22:41
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I think on THIS board it is accepted as uncool to post spoilers. Vagueness is a difficult line to judge, but if not careful, I think it can be easily crossed....
Old 20 April 2013, 22:47
On the Extract Bird

My post is in no way a spoiler. It was a movie gaffe that I pointed out and has no impact on the story, the plot or the outcome.
Old 10 May 2013, 10:27
Confirmed User

Saw this tonight. Agree with SOTB...I thought the big fight scene was especially crap.

2 man and 1 woman is flying towards gay mountain with no visibility at high speed - Johan
Old 15 May 2013, 13:07
War on Christmas veteran

Few things are as boring for me to watch in a theater as a long chase scene... especially one in the middle of the film where you know the lead character is not going to die.

***SPOILER QUESTION***
Why, with the exception of two, was the entire crew of The Odyssey still in suspended animation even though they had arrived at their objective?

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 16 May 2013, 23:32
Confirmed User

The Odyessy got redirected to the alien spaceship from their original mission to Titan.
The drones seemed a bit vulnerable considering the aliens had technology capable of destroying the moon. Good movie, the final scenes are total sentimental nonsense though.
Old 17 May 2013, 00:06
War on Christmas veteran

***SPOILERS BELOW***
***SPOILERS BELOW***
***SPOILERS BELOW***
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3e View Post
The Odyssey got redirected to the alien spaceship from their original mission to Titan.
They weren't redirected. The mission was changed before they ever left Earth. The alien object was their destination.

Julia:
"It was a research flight to Titan... my first.
That's what it was supposed to be.
Six weeks to launch, deep space scanners picked up an alien object.
We were reassigned to investigate.
They put us all in [deep sleep]
They must have woken you and Victoria first.
That object was The Tet, Jack.
The Tet was our mission."
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3e View Post
The drones seemed a bit vulnerable considering the aliens had technology capable of destroying the moon. Good movie, the final scenes are total sentimental nonsense though.
Agreed.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 18 May 2013, 19:48
Confirmed User

The movie blah.
More importantly I want to live in that house.
Old 18 May 2013, 21:06
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddude View Post
The movie blah.
More importantly I want to live in that house.
The cabin or the suspended glass house with the pool? I'll take the cabin!
Old 19 May 2013, 01:12
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
The cabin or the suspended glass house with the pool? I'll take the cabin!
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

When they brought the other chick back I was thinking "you should hop in the pool, it's very relaxing."

I enjoyed it. The effects and cinematography were dead on Imo. Not over the top, real looking. I was asleep for the big reveal, so I know what happened but didn't see it unfold. I'll watch it again.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 28 May 2013, 18:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
***SPOILERS BELOW***
***SPOILERS BELOW***
***SPOILERS BELOW***They weren't redirected. The mission was changed before they ever left Earth. The alien object was their destination.

Julia:
"It was a research flight to Titan... my first.
That's what it was supposed to be.
Six weeks to launch, deep space scanners picked up an alien object.
We were reassigned to investigate.
They put us all in [deep sleep]
They must have woken you and Victoria first.
That object was The Tet, Jack.
The Tet was our mission."
Agreed.

Spoilers

When he was flying to the tet he started listening to the flight recorder. It shows that the tet was pulling them in and that Harper decides to eject the command module from the rest of the ship. He states that the deep sleep section would go back to earth and would home in on a beacon, I guess the attack disrupted that and they just stayed floating in orbit until the beacon from the rebels called it down. Both he and victoria entered the tet and were presumably cloned from there.
Old 10 June 2013, 07:00
Been There Done That

Saw it last night at the Omni

Saw it last night at the Omni here in Fayetteville (It's $2.50 now).

All in all I thought it was a good movie. Having not been spoiled to bad I liked the meeting of Tech 49 & Tech 52.
Old 10 August 2013, 09:37
Been There Done That

Saw it. Really liked it. Awesome special effects. I want a jet/helicopter like that! The chase scene through the canyons was really good. Kept me entertained the whole way through.
Old 12 August 2013, 05:39
Psalm 91:2

My policy is NOT to watch anything the short twerp with the high pitched voice is in....he's far too annoying.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 13 August 2013, 16:31
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
All in all I thought it was a good movie. Having not been spoiled to bad I liked the meeting of Tech 49 & Tech 52.
It had some elements from the sci-fi flick Moon, where the guy meets his replacement and it turns out to be him. The Sally character at mission control was predictable to the point of being a distraction.

I thought it was ok, I started losing interest about 2/3 of the way in. Good for a rental, I'd pass paying full freight at the theater. I'm usually not a big CGI fan, but the effects in this movie were great.
Old 13 August 2013, 18:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
It had some elements from the sci-fi flick Moon, where the guy meets his replacement and it turns out to be him. The Sally character at mission control was predictable to the point of being a distraction.

I thought it was ok, I started losing interest about 2/3 of the way in. Good for a rental, I'd pass paying full freight at the theater. I'm usually not a big CGI fan, but the effects in this movie were great.

I actually think would have enjoyed this more at the Theatre due to the CGI and Scenery. My small TV screen did not do it justice.

Our new posting rules