Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 3 October 2015, 11:17
Confirmed User

Jesus why does every movie thread have to turn political....

2 man and 1 woman is flying towards gay mountain with no visibility at high speed - Johan
Old 3 October 2015, 14:06
Confirmed User

I thought the movie was pretty good. Cinematography and sound were great. The leads were all pretty good. I liked the action sequences. My only real complaint is that there is a major plot point that doesn't make sense to me(see below), but overall I still liked it.

SOF types play a role in the movie, so some here will probably find fault with certain points of their portrayal. As an 11B I didn't see anything too terrible, though.

SPOILERS -

The whole point of them finding and hitting the tunnel was to allow Sylvio to infiltrate Mexico, intercept Diaz and ultimately kill the drug lord. I don't see why he couldn't have just driven across the border.
Old 3 October 2015, 17:37
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpaw
Btw the consultant was Colombian I thought?
If this is in ref to consulting as a TA for the movie, it isn't surprising that Hollyweird and a Colombian would feel comfortable about using a Colombian to advise as to what the TTPs and general idiosyncrasies are for Mexico -- umm, LOL.

FTR, Control Risks tried bringing Colombians to work as security consultants in Mexico -- yeah, that worked out real well. There are the occasional Colombian generals who get themselves a tidy nest egg as advisers to various Mexican conglomerates and the govt (I can think of one that does/did both) -- but yeah, its funny that in 2015 the Colombians still want the world to think they have a handle on how the narco trade/war works....
Old 3 October 2015, 18:09
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
If this is in ref to consulting as a TA for the movie, it isn't surprising that Hollyweird and a Colombian would feel comfortable about using a Colombian to advise as to what the TTPs and general idiosyncrasies are for Mexico -- umm, LOL.
Benicio Del Toro's character, Alejandro is supposed to be Colombian.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 3 October 2015, 18:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max V. View Post

SPOILERS -

The whole point of them finding and hitting the tunnel was to allow Sylvio to infiltrate Mexico, intercept Diaz and ultimately kill the drug lord. I don't see why he couldn't have just driven across the border.
Pretty sure it's because they didn't know where the drug lord was hiding...hence needing Diaz to lead them there.

2 man and 1 woman is flying towards gay mountain with no visibility at high speed - Johan
Old 3 October 2015, 20:18
Policeman Officer

I honestly thought it sucked, basically because of everything about Emily Blunt and her partner's characters. Everything about them sucked. Remove them and it could have been good.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 October 2015, 00:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpaw View Post
Pretty sure it's because they didn't know where the drug lord was hiding...hence needing Diaz to lead them there.
They knew where Diaz was, and that he was going to see the boss. Zero need for Del Toro to go through the tunnel that I can see.

And yeah, Emily Blunt acted terribly in this. THAT SAID, I still enjoyed the movie quite a bit overall. Seems like 90% of society (SOCNET too) goes into a movie with a pen and paper so they can write down all the shit they just know they're gonna hate about it. It's a fictional movie, there's gonna be some nonsense to it.
Old 4 October 2015, 14:12

I saw the movie & knew the way it was going how it would end! Look.... I am not stupid or innocent.....but.......Ihighly doubt that every thing bad in this world....is due to the CIA's influence! Or you see movies & the mean,dangerous guys are all ex Spec.Ops guys & they are all bad with mental issues.Whatever happened to movies which had our military being the good guys kicking the bad guys asses??
Jim
Old 4 October 2015, 14:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Clifton View Post
I saw the movie & knew the way it was going how it would end! Look.... I am not stupid or innocent.....but.......Ihighly doubt that every thing bad in this world....is due to the CIA's influence! Or you see movies & the mean,dangerous guys are all ex Spec.Ops guys & they are all bad with mental issues.Whatever happened to movies which had our military being the good guys kicking the bad guys asses??
Jim
No kidding, right? Next thing you know, they'll make a movie where the ATF conspires with DOJ to flood Mexico with guns in order to increase the murder rate to make gun control more politically acceptable, or maybe some sort of fantasy where the US supplies weapons to AQ affiliates to defeat folks perceived as aligning with Iran. All Hollywood lies to make the US look bad!
Old 5 October 2015, 03:45
Confirmed User

The flip flops always give away the bad guy.
Old 5 October 2015, 09:16
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
No kidding, right? Next thing you know, they'll make a movie where the ATF conspires with DOJ to flood Mexico with guns in order to increase the murder rate to make gun control more politically acceptable, or maybe some sort of fantasy where the US supplies weapons to AQ affiliates to defeat folks perceived as aligning with Iran. All Hollywood lies to make the US look bad!
Oh...you!
Old 5 October 2015, 10:34
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post

I honestly thought it sucked, basically because of everything about Emily Blunt and her partner's characters. Everything about them sucked. Remove them and it could have been good.
Concur 100%. I said the exact same thing to my girl at least twice during the movie.

On the other hand, the characters played by Brolin and Del Toro were compelling and their acting was excellent...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 5 October 2015, 15:22
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
I think the potential title has already been worn out for a different successful movie franchise.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 October 2015, 07:06
Confirmed User

I agree completely with MassGrunt:
Very good flick if you can get past your dislike of the main female character. She is torn between LE "procedure" and working in the gray "doing what needs to be done" which has been sanctioned by higher. The acting is terrific and while a few have called the CIA/CAG guys emotionless..I call them mission focused and serious. In fact the sense of humor they displayed was fairly consistent with the gallows humor in the Mil. Worth the $10.00.

Last edited by Five-O; 6 October 2015 at 07:23.
Old 15 October 2015, 16:32
On the Extract Bird

I saw this today. I thought it was outstanding. I thought the CIA/CAG guys were awesome. Oh, Blunt's character and the black dude were pussies.

Last edited by There First; 15 October 2015 at 16:51.
Old 22 October 2015, 11:31
On the Extract Bird

I enjoyed the movie from an entertainment perspective, but there were some huge plot holes.

<SPOILERS>

First, Blunt's partner was purposely excluded from the task force and somehow attached himself to the duration of the mission after someone calls him for a ride.

Secondly, the partner's friend just happens to be on the take from Mexican druglords and just happens to be at the bar they wind up.

Third, the partner completely disappears after emerging from the tunnel (thank God).

And lastly, why would Brolin pick such a squeaky-clean agent if what he needed was legal complicity to a somewhat illegal act?
Old 23 December 2015, 10:22
Been There Done That

Saw the movie last night. Is out on I Tunes.

Was looking forward to this, as had a lot of good reviews.

Kind of disappointed. While it did have a few shoot them up action scenes, the plot was weak. The storyline weak. I would say an OK movie to watch if you are on airplane, or looking to just chill out for a couple of hours at home. But, nothing groundbreaking or having a "Wow" factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23 December 2015, 20:54
Been There Done That

Saw it last night and thought it was highly entertaining.

Some outstanding cinematography and the characters all acted fairly realistic. It could have gone on for another hour, IMO. The story closed the loop pretty drastically where it could have played out a tad more.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 December 2015, 21:29
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
I agree completely with MassGrunt:
Very good flick if you can get past your dislike of the main female character. She is torn between LE "procedure" and working in the gray "doing what needs to be done" which has been sanctioned by higher. The acting is terrific and while a few have called the CIA/CAG guys emotionless..I call them mission focused and serious. In fact the sense of humor they displayed was fairly consistent with the gallows humor in the Mil. Worth the $10.00.
+1million.

They were my favorite part of the movie "Shhh lay back this is happening .." - by using a rape joke hollyweird was trying to show how fucked up they were but I thought it was really funny and situationally appropriate. They were there to do their mission, they did it, they didn't cry about it or need to have heart to hearts about it after, they made some crude jokes to each other and got on with it.

spoiler:

The point of stirring up shit was to get the US cartel guy to go back, they used the tunnel as a cover OP - they told "daddy" they were hitting a tunnel and stopping drugs (yay!) - but used it as cover to get Del Toro's character into position to take the crooked cop hostage, which gave him a way to approach the US cartel guy without freaking him out and take him hostage, then use him to get access to the main guys location / place / and passed the front guards. It made sense in a movie type of way.
Old 24 December 2015, 15:16
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
A generation ago that was called "Wag the Dog."

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules