Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 8 January 2016, 20:34
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I say that because IMO good and bad kind of all melted together. This was really apparent when Benecio sat down with the family at the dinner table at the end.
He was just honoring his enemy's last request.
Old 8 January 2016, 20:35
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
He was just honoring his enemy's last request.
Pretty cold way to do it.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 8 January 2016, 21:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Not sure his sympathy meter was pegged after they executed his child and decapitated his wife.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 8 January 2016, 21:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Not sure his sympathy meter was pegged after they executed his child and decapitated his wife.
and IIRC killed his child by putting her in a vat of acid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 January 2016, 21:15
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
That's the value of clear communication and thinking before you speak, see? Big, bad cartel boss should have thought through the wording of his last request a bit more.
Old 8 January 2016, 21:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
and IIRC killed his child by putting her in a vat of acid.
They did. I get the vengeance part big time for sure. And another angle that came to me is if he left any of the immediate family alive then (1) The wife continues to run the business and Sicario is a seriously hunted man and (2) The boys grow up with nothing but vengeance on their mind and again, Sicario is a seriously hunted man.

So, in respecting the vengeance angle, and looking at it from Sicario's POV, he really had no other alternative. And as far as the drug lord - so goes the saying "you reap what you sow"

The comment about potential for a badass trilogy - I agree, and I definitely would watch them
Old 8 January 2016, 22:01
Another pool cleaner

"It wasn't personal"...last refuge of scoundrels.

Spoiler....

By the family's reaction to Alejandro's speech about his wife and daughter, I'm not so sure that Fausto's wife and sons were so innocent. Or it could be the tension.
Old 8 January 2016, 22:31
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
By the family's reaction to Alejandro's speech about his wife and daughter, I'm not so sure that Fausto's wife and sons were so innocent. Or it could be the tension.
Language barrier.
Old 8 January 2016, 22:41
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
and IIRC killed his child by throwing her in a vat of acid.
Oh, I rationalized that it was justified, just cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That's the value of clear communication and thinking before you speak, see? Big, bad cartel boss should have thought through the wording of his last request a bit more.
Yep. Also, and I only caught this on a second viewing, when Alejandro was startled awake on the flight to El Paso, you could hear a piercing scream. I think that was him and an unseen flashback to him finding the severed head of him wife and the tub of acid that held his daughter's remains. The cartel planned that to happen. I also think Guillermo, that fat fucking pig, had a hand in that.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 January 2016, 21:11
Confirmed User

There was some good stuff in the film, but I disliked the two FBI agents so much that it ruined it. I wanted Benicio to pull the trigger.
Old 15 January 2016, 19:30
Very Deplorable

Finally watched it.

It was a decent flick. Del Toro and Bronson did great, and I'd watch a sequel. Fuck me running though, I have the same issue as everyone else, the two agents were a fucking waste. Could have been almost as good as Heat without those two pussies and a little more plot drama between the main protagonists and antagonists.

The "jefe" dinner scene was the best. I don't quite get the connection with the state cop and why we needed to see him eating breakfast all the time with his family, or why they were the last scene... I would have been fine if it would have just played out without those fillers...But whatever.

Worth the $5.99 OnDemand
Old 15 January 2016, 19:53
Policeman Officer

I think it could have been a really good movie without the FBI agents.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 January 2016, 22:08
Broke D***

Just finished it the other day. I thought overall it was good, but the FBI agents were weak. I guess maybe that was the point?
Old 1 February 2016, 07:44
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Movie was ok. Blunt was miscast and her character was pretty pointless. The Delta guys looked like outta shape extras with beards, but the border shootout scene I liked. And why were the people wrapped and buried in a wall in the house when you got the whole desert outside your yard!!!

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX

Last edited by SGTROCK; 1 February 2016 at 07:46. Reason: add more
Old 1 February 2016, 21:10
I am into Champagne

SPOLIER

I liked the clueless useless FBI-girl. :)

I think the story was excellent compliment to the Man who must do the unclean fight- at the end, the revealing of 'we never need you for actual operation- you are our legal 'cover'- it made me smile.

And I see Mako-06 for a brief instant in my favorite dialogue in movie- CIA Man mentions research into counter-terror in Fiji, and Mako-06 is immediately into the scheme- "You leave Fiji alone! Terrorists!".

I think the director and writer specifically target the critics of military and intelligence actions in small, vicious conflicts and attempt to apply morals of a wine-tasting room.

Another great dialogue- "You asking me how a watch works. For now, just watch the time."

Regards,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

Last edited by Johan; 1 February 2016 at 21:16.
Old 1 February 2016, 21:12
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTROCK View Post
Blunt was miscast and her character was pretty pointless.
SPOLIER

I think her pointlessness was a part of the plot. Note that the CIA Man intentionally avoids asking for FBI agent who is combat veteran of Iraq and lawyer.

Regards,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 23 December 2016, 23:05
Life is simple, not easy.

One of the better movies I have seen in a while. I finally found time to watch this on Amazon and wasn't disappointed. This had great action but not too much, good plot, did a good job canvassing the various characters, and a great ending. Loved this movie after avoiding it for whatever reason.

bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 5 September 2017, 15:49
Confirmed User

The wife & I watched it on Amazon Prime the other night. We were both wanting to see it, but we were both disappointed.
I liked Benicio's character, well I guess like maybe the wrong word, but he acted well with it and was a compelling character.

But, the same old tired, CIA/US Govt is evil get's so tiring. Emily Blunt's character I thought sucked.
Old 5 September 2017, 16:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I think it could have been a really good movie without the FBI agents.
A metaphor of life 😂
Old 5 September 2017, 16:52
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Looks like the next movie, not necessarily a sequel but involving the same characters (with the exception of the female FBI agent) will be released in June, 2018.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/...rrives-in-june

Our new posting rules