SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 5 September 2017, 16:57
Been There Done That

Hopefully just Brolin (his boys) and Del Toro doing their thing for the gubberment...plot? Naw, just let'm go John Wick on people...
Old 5 September 2017, 16:59
Been There Done That

I watched it again the other night. One of the interesting aspects I picked up was the use of intel. Fed agencies are notorious for being to hesitant to react to intel or to develop the situation. They get a small taste (bank scene) and thats enough for them. The big picture always eludes them. By allowing one piece of verified intel to drive the mission and staying flexible, the foward progress of the agency team continued and was more productive than an FBI response would have been.
Old 6 September 2017, 17:43
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

According to one article I read it said that this next movie will focus more on the Matt Graver character, played by Josh Brolin. I imagine Benicio Del Torro will pop up too, as these two had history, regardless of whether they set events in the past or future.
Old 6 September 2017, 17:54
Been There Done That

If Soldado is anything like Sicario, then it will be a trip explaining Josh's career as an SAD officer who starts working CN issues in LATAM. Which could become one of the most relevant movies about narco culture in over a decade.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 September 2017, 18:11
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

One brief synopsis I read is that the next movie isn't necessarily a prequel or sequel, more of a stand alone flick in which Josh Brolin, Jeffery Donovan and Del Torro head into Mexico on a mission to get a war started between rival cartels.

Based on everything I know, seems kind of redundant. Those cartels and their various leaders are all pretty cutthroat with the competition to begin with. Perhaps the conceit here is that one of the reasons, perhaps the main reason, that they always seem to be going after each other is because of the actions of those characters.

Call it Operation Conrad Dobler.
Old 6 September 2017, 19:11
Another pool cleaner

I'm no writer or storyteller, but there is power in the understated and the sublime: Sicario achieves this. Hope Soldado can achieve this.
Old 6 September 2017, 22:05
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I'm no writer or storyteller, but there is power in the understated and the sublime: Sicario achieves this.
Concur.

The symbolism was intentional. Blunt's "Kate Macer" as clueless, by-the-book do-gooder representing the "average" American outlook, choosing to see black and white in a world long faded to gray, and Hernandez' "Silvio" representing the Mexican people, complicit without a choice, and damned regardless.

Alejandro is the real world...and Graver is the government we wish we had.

SJW and progressive folks need to watch the final scene in Macer's apartment. That's what happens when snowflakes run into the real world. Anyone who doubts that, let me know, I can draw you a good strip map to Syria, or Pakistan, or Chicago.
Old 7 September 2017, 00:36
The Sagacious One

I just want to watch a regular old gun fitin' movie and you guys have to go all Stephen King on me. Thanks for that
Old 7 September 2017, 07:25
Been There Done That

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...I agree with you, however--gavin is steel on target, spot the fuck on with his perfectly constructed, critical analysis.
Old 7 September 2017, 09:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I just want to watch a regular old gun fitin' movie and you guys have to go all Stephen King on me. Thanks for that
If you want lots of shooting and shitty acting along with lack of a decent plot, there's always Act of Valor.
Old 7 September 2017, 11:48
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Concur.

The symbolism was intentional. Blunt's "Kate Macer" as clueless, by-the-book do-gooder representing the "average" American outlook, choosing to see black and white in a world long faded to gray, and Hernandez' "Silvio" representing the Mexican people, complicit without a choice, and damned regardless.

SJW and progressive folks need to watch the final scene in Macer's apartment. That's what happens when snowflakes run into the real world. Anyone who doubts that, let me know, I can draw you a good strip map to Syria, or Pakistan, or Chicago.
Great analysis.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 8 September 2017, 07:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg24 View Post
But, the same old tired, CIA/US Govt is evil get's so tiring.
Not necessarily evil... but there is some culpability of involvement.

Quote:
Hope Soldado can achieve this.
I do too. Looking forward to it...

Quote:

This is why I enjoyed it so much. My wife found it boring but she didn't really get what we were watching and I was probably poor at explaining it.
Old 8 September 2017, 08:51
The Sagacious One

OK, time to go all Van Clauswitz with the rest of you fuckers since you sucked the fun out of this like Sharky on a Slim Jim.

The interesting part was the acceptance of a kind of a sense of homeostasis that the Agency had with the Colombian Cartels. They accepted the fact that there would be no victory in the War on Drugs but the predictable (spelled controllable) middle ground was OK. Let the politicians do what makes them and the American People feel good and let us do what we do; what needs to be done....

This same dilemma was present as we see Macer only wanting to engage, with any passion, those fighting the good fight in her effort to enforce "Fake Trouble". I say fake only because its was in defiance of some regulation or written word to make people feel good and not the innate sense that bad should be destroyed by good.

Fuckers...

And what the fuck is wrong with Act of Valor?
Old 16 October 2017, 19:19
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Concur.

Great synopsis. I watched this last again after Wind River.
Spot on.
Old 18 October 2017, 23:50
Time is a flat circle

My only response to Josh Brolin telling me we are gonna kill bad guys in cross border ops is I can only get so erect.

Hope the sequel is as good
Old 18 October 2017, 23:51
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Concur.

This is spot the fuck on....

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 19 October 2017, 06:16
Another pool cleaner

Not only is gavin correct but here's the interesting thing: whom do you think the audience sympathize with?
Old 19 October 2017, 09:32
Oppressor of the people

Quote:
Not only is gavin correct but here's the interesting thing: whom do you think the audience sympathize with?
I'd say the vast majority of the American public sympathized with Blunt's "Kate Macer" FBI agent, as that's who they could identify with.
Old 19 October 2017, 22:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
I'd say the vast majority of the American public sympathized with Blunt's "Kate Macer" FBI agent, as that's who they could identify with.
That’s only because she is someone we would want to “identify” with. If it was Rosie O’Donnell, no one would have paid attention to the character.
Old 19 December 2017, 12:26
Drawing my cutlass

Sicario 2.

Fuck

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uccpNYzZgc

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Our new posting rules