Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 18 July 2017, 04:52
Been There Done That

Australian woman shot after dialing 911

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5b3c3f618be8

Very disturbing. Lot of chatter now as the officer who pulled the trigger, was a Somali American, named Mohamed. Lot os praise about when he was hired, "Diversity", "look the first Muslim refugee hired for our police dept, see we are so diverse and tolerant!"

Sounds like lowered standards to promote "diversity"? Now, you have a cop, on two years, who was scared, incompetent, should probably have never been hired. Lets see if the dept. and the criminal justice system rises to the occasion and does what is right.

Stories like this get my blood boiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 July 2017, 07:30
Been There Done That

From what I've read so far, I'm thinking it was a negligent discharge. ND happen from time to time, but a fatality is pretty rare. I don't see ethnicity, or ideology, playing a role in this particular incident.

Rest in Peace Ma'am, and my condolences to the victim's family.
Old 18 July 2017, 07:35
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
From what I've read so far, I'm thinking it was a negligent discharge. ND happen from time to time, but a fatality is pretty rare. I don't see ethnicity, or ideology, playing a role in this particular incident.

Rest in Peace Ma'am, and my condolences to the victim's family.
I think idiocy is the primary cause here. He should pay for it like anyone else.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 18 July 2017, 08:09
Authorized Personnel

Rest In Peace, Ms. Damond! My sincerest condolences to her family.
Old 18 July 2017, 09:21
Bitter old man.

What a tragedy.
Old 18 July 2017, 12:15

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18...community.html

How in the world can a passenger fire a round through the drivers door hitting a woman standing by the door talking to the driver. If that actually was the events he should be tared and feathered.
Old 18 July 2017, 12:38
Confirmed User

Rest In Peace, and condolences to the family.

I would like to hear the other Officers description of what went down.

The bullet had to pass very close to the other Officer.

Incidents like these just p*#s me off.

If you are that scared to have a citizen approach you while you are sitting in your vehicle; that you need to take your duty weapon out, then get out of the freaking car. (I hope that reads right)
Old 18 July 2017, 12:57
Anesthetized User

As reported body cameras turned off.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 18 July 2017, 13:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18...community.html

How in the world can a passenger fire a round through the drivers door hitting a woman standing by the door talking to the driver. If that actually was the events he should be tared and feathered.
To answer your question...it can be done very easily! At this point - with the information that was have those far - I agree with Tracy's assessment!
Old 18 July 2017, 13:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
If you are that scared to have a citizen approach you while you are sitting in your vehicle; that you need to take your duty weapon out, then get out of the freaking car. (I hope that reads right)
I'm not ready yet to say he did it out of "fear." There are multiple reasons he could have had his weapon out. We have very little information at this point.
Old 19 July 2017, 08:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
You mean like a cute blonde yoga instructor in pajamas.

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack
Old 19 July 2017, 09:57
Unemployed Stunt Double

I'm glad SOCNET doesn't serve as a forum for speculation and uninformed armchair quarterbacking...oh...nevermind...
Old 19 July 2017, 14:24
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The agency investigating the shooting stated that the officer who was driving the squad heard a loud sound, which startled him, and it was after the sound that the woman approached their vehicle.

A loud sound could be just about anything. A door slamming, maybe somebody knocked over a trash can, etc.

They went on to state that the woman was shot when she approached their car, subsequent to the sound they heard. Perhaps the loud sound put the officer on edge, his startle reaction was in response to the woman suddenly appearing next to the car.

As Tracy said, most likely an ND, but if the ND were to occur due to being startled, wouldn't it happen immediately when you were startled by the noise? Also, the initial report only stated that Harrity, the driver, was startled. Didn't say anything about Noor being startled.

Given there is no dashcam or body cams, it will be interesting to see how this whole incident gets spun.

Perhaps one of the bigger issues for the Minneapolis PD, as it is with any department of any size, is the wisdom of pairing an officer with about 2 years of experience under his belt with an officer who has even less time on the job than that.

Last edited by Spinner; 19 July 2017 at 14:37.
Old 19 July 2017, 14:50
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Perhaps one of the bigger issues for the Minneapolis PD, as it is with any department of any size, is the wisdom of pairing an officer with about 2 years of experience under his belt with an officer who has even less time on the job than that.
I generally agree but I was a field training officer with about two years on the job. Obviously my past professional experience and life experience isn't typical but it happens. Several of my buddies did the training not too long after me. All of them are older than your average new officer with experience before coming here, plus we're busy busy busy so 3-4 years here is a seasoned vet when compared to some other places. No idea what the deal is with these two guys. Maybe Harrity was with Noor for a reason?

I'm going to bookmark this thread for the next time someone says all cops defend other cops all the time.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 July 2017, 14:54
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

That's true, and it could be that Minneapolis is like a lot of departments around the country that are both trending younger and less experienced and perhaps also experiencing manpower issues.

The lawyer for at least one of the cops is raising the defense now that they could have been fearing an ambush. Which, in a sense, is true. But then I suppose the same could be said for any police officer in the country, especially these days.
Old 19 July 2017, 14:56
Authorized Personnel

Fearing an ambush would/could affect one's tactics upon arrival, etc., but should not be utilized as an excuse for a bad action...if that's what happened.
Old 19 July 2017, 16:34
Genetically Deplorable

Being here in the Cities for a week I can tell you this is all anyone can talk about! I agree the most probable "loud noise" was a garbage can being knocked over or the lid being dropped.

But none of that matters. Officer Noor has now pulled the diversity card.
Old 19 July 2017, 16:43
Confirmed User

When we start rioting and looting over this, I claim dibs on the Academy Sports.

Last edited by Group9; 19 July 2017 at 17:00.
Old 19 July 2017, 16:50
BT,WBTWC

Quote:
At least he was paired with another officer. In may places he would be riding solo as soon as he finished up six months ~ one year with his FTO.
Old 19 July 2017, 17:27
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The lawyer for at least one of the cops is raising the defense now that they could have been fearing an ambush. Which, in a sense, is true. But then I suppose the same could be said for any police officer in the country, especially these days.
Bold strategy.

CB raises a good point. In the vast majority of the country guys are flying solo after six months on the job.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules