Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 29 December 2017, 23:20
Confirmed User

Prank leads to police shooting

I've never worked law enforcement, and really never had a desire to. I know some police officers personally, from interactions in the ER, but events like this interject fear into interactions with any office not known to me.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sas/991665001/
Old 30 December 2017, 01:15
Been There Done That

I don't get what your point is.

Are you afraid of cops now because someone got shot by one?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 30 December 2017, 01:25
Authorized Personnel

I'd like to see the footage of how this played out before passing judgement on the cop.

How do we go about preventing incidents like this in the future? Do police have any methods of vetting information received? It would seem that a little digging during the time it took for the police to respond and set up, could have prevented this situation from happening.
Old 30 December 2017, 01:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I'd like to see the footage of how this played out before passing judgement on the cop.

How do we go about preventing incidents like this in the future? Do police have any methods of vetting information received? It would seem that a little digging during the time it took for the police to respond and set up, could have prevented this situation from happening.
Here's the footage.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192111974.html
Old 30 December 2017, 02:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouta View Post
Thanks.

That video is really hard to make out, but it appears that the guys hands are in front of him when the shot is taken. I see the hands swing to his sides, never behind his back, and then come back up. Not seeing the threat here, especially not in the context of the initial report of a hostage situation. If the situation is a hostage situation, you don't leave your hostage inside as you go and stand out on the porch...nor should the police be shooting somebody who could've potentially been the hostage to begin with. Doesn't look good from this limited information.
Old 30 December 2017, 08:58
Bitter old man.

Whoever made the 911 call should be charged.
Supposedly it was a feud on Call of Duty.
Old 30 December 2017, 09:27
Been There Done That

Hopefully they crucify the MFer that made the prank call.
Old 30 December 2017, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Whoever made the 911 call should be charged.
Supposedly it was a feud on Call of Duty.
Agreed. There’s a kid in my jurisdiction who has been targeted several times by “swatting” calls. The kid himself is a complete shithead and encourages people to mess with him. Deputy response to those calls is always the same but we know to take the information given by dispatch with a huge grain of salt.
Old 30 December 2017, 13:02
Did...did I do that?

Supposedly the user already admitted to the call on Twitter, before he closed his account. Krebs has screenshots of the conversation. Kid says it's not his fault because he didn't pull the trigger.
Old 30 December 2017, 13:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Hopefully they crucify the MFer that made the prank call.
Yep. Consider the time, resources and emotional energy thinking your going into a hostage situation. Then on top of that someone loses their life. All for a F*****G prank! Ridiculous.
Old 30 December 2017, 14:17
Confirmed User

Unhappy

What I saw of the indecent on the NEWS last night, Two (2) different T.V. stations, it looked like the individual kept moving his arms up an down. One station you could hear the police telling the individual to put his hands over his head.

Now if the get the person that made the call I hope they put his sorry ass in Jail an throw away the key.
Old 30 December 2017, 14:45
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs down

IMO the police at that distance behind cover, have no imminent reason to fear officer safety considering it was obvious he did not have a long gun.. It appeared lights were in his face and I think it is only human instinct to put hand up to shield from light..

I wouldn't be making excuses for this.. If I were still a LEO.

Damn shame....

LEO needs to understand there is a balance between what they are teaching at the Academy and FTO: Go home safe at the end of shift no matter what, and the profession they are in there is inherent risk. There are other options beside pulling the trigger at every human twitch by a suspect.

This and that other video at the apartment with the guy in the hall way show that there needs to be more training on normal human recactions under stress and they need to put the officers through more simulated stress training involving discretionary shooting.

The fact in both videos other cover officers all didnt open up at the same time says that not all percived an imminent threat that justified the use of deadly force. The question is then, why are some so quick and others have reasonable restraint...

Probably mindset, training and control of fear or desire to shoot someone.

My armchair opinon.

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 30 December 2017, 14:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
LEO needs to understand there is a balance between what they are teaching at the Academy and FTO: Go home safe at the end of shift no matter what, and the profession they are in there is inherent risk. There are other options beside pulling the trigger at every human twitch by a suspect.
I am not a supporter of the "one ass to risk" philosophy; the idea that "I will go home at the end of my shift, no matter what" theory. If you believe that your own personal safety overrides the rights of the citizenry and the safety of your community, then you need to find another profession. I've gotten into some pretty heated discussions with paramedics at work regarding the whole "safety is #1" concept. Many of us here work in (or have worked in) professions that are inherently dangerous. Sometimes we have to be as safe as possible while still completing the mission; if that means we take some personal risks, then so be it.
Old 30 December 2017, 15:04
Did...did I do that?

Caller is arrested in LA.

Someone by that name was previously arrested for making bomb threats to KABC.
Old 30 December 2017, 16:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
IMO the police at that distance behind cover, have no imminent reason to fear officer safety.
Agreed. After watching the video I was wondering if they shot him under the thought that they wouldn’t allow him to go back inside where they believed there to be hostages, and potentially harm them. Of course rule #1 being that you first confirm that there is in fact a hostage situation, the hostage taker has the means to inflict serious bodily injury or death, and that said hostages are in immediate jeopardy if you don’t act.

ETA: Well scratch that. Upon reading further they specifically state that the officer thought the guy was pointing a weapon at other officers on the perimeter.
Old 30 December 2017, 22:38
Navigating

Let the Officer be judged. It doesn’t look good because no use of force looks good. Remember Police Officers aren’t judged on right or wrong; they are judged on reasonableness (Tenn vs Garner).
Old 30 December 2017, 23:42
Confirmed User

“Objective reasonableness” is covered under Graham V Connor. But any cop worth their salt knows the information that comes out on a dispatched call is often vastly different than what you find when you arrive on scene. You can’t just take initial information as gospel and employ deadly force without confirmation of threat. It’ll be interesting how this plays out. But regardless, I think everyone is on the same page that the fuck wad who called and reported the “incident” should never draw a free breathe of air again.
Old 31 December 2017, 09:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneisel256 View Post
Let the Officer be judged. It doesn’t look good because no use of force looks good. Remember Police Officers aren’t judged on right or wrong; they are judged on reasonableness (Tenn vs Garner).
What is considered reasonable varies greatly depending on who you ask. Its complete bullshit that so many people want everyone to see things from the officers perspective, but never want to consider things from the victims perspective.

This just reinforces the idea that you shouldn't answer the door for police.
Old 31 December 2017, 09:34
Been There Done That

Once again, nothing will happen to the officer and all blame will be cast on the person calling in the swatting.
Just another killing where there isn't any good reason for the officer to fear for their life. No attack, gun or overwhelming force presented.

How many of these killings of unarmed Americans you'all figure is acceptable before changes are called for behind the blue line?
Old 31 December 2017, 09:49
Administrator

Yeah but they all have only 1*.

The problem is too many young cops these days are scared pussies who have never been punched in the face and buy into this bullshit that nothing is more important than them going home at night. And I am speaking in a general sense, not just this incident.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules