Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 23 February 2018, 20:53
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Is this former officer's non-reaction potentially prosecutable?
Someone mentioned Warren; there are several other cases over the years. Here's an old link that includes several interesting cases.
Old 23 February 2018, 21:00
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
I don't know a single convicted felon that carries receipts for anything on them, let alone felony possessed firearms... This is not the house to BS in bro...

Provide a valid argument for what you are saying, and we'll listen. Try to baffle us with bullshit... well, that dog just won't hunt.
X a million.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 23 February 2018, 21:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
No. Courts have ruled several times that law enforcement has no duty to actively protect anyone.
Gavin,
Sir, You are correct,
But there is a lot of potential civil liability for too many of those involved.
v/r
rsja
Old 23 February 2018, 22:22
Confirmed User

There are no words for the disdain I have for this man, or others like him who exist in LE. You are not my brother.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:06
Confirmed User

No amount of training and evaluation will ever answer this questions: Will the Officer/Deputy react to a real life Use of Force Incident?". Most do but some do not. The point that really bothers me is the "I was following Department Policy and waiting for backup" justification. Columbine was in 1999 and I thought everyone was clear that in a case like this "We Do Not Wait". Also, this deputy had over 30 years on the job and almost 9 years as a School Resource Officer. You never know when it is your time to "Step Up". It could come early in your career, it could come later or it could never come at all.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:08
Wolverines!

This x a million.... Fuck him and the other pussies who didn't immediately address the threat. Peace be upon the victims of this crime and the heroes who gave their lives trying to protect the innocents.

Oh, and I sure would like this mybad character to explain himself. He represented himself as LE, so he needs to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
There are no words for the disdain I have for this man, or others like him who exist in LE. You are not my brother.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:19
Did...did I do that?

Curt, a TX cop friend of mine shared this today on FB:

Quote:
Brothers and sisters in blue... we need your help. We've all seen the media coverage of the deputy who did NOT run into the school to save lives. We want to let Americans know that this is the exception... not the rule. Will you help us? If so, we're looking for brief video clips - shot from your cell phone - of you letting people know that you ARE there to protect them. Just a quick few seconds with a message like, "We will never run" or "we will protect you". We're going to edit them together into a powerful statement to America on behalf of law enforcement. Send them to us and just let us know if you need us to blur out the department name on your uniform!

- Kyle Reyes, National Spokesman
Law Enforcement Today
Curt said "Send vine length video clips (5-6 seconds) of your message. Should be along the lines to reassure the people in the wake of BCSO’s failure to deploy.
Mine said “I won’t wait. I will move as fast as I can to you. I pledge this to you.”

I've got the contact email for those interested.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:27
Wolverines!

Can you PM me the link Bob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Curt, a TX cop friend of mine shared this today on FB:

Curt said "Send vine length video clips (5-6 seconds) of your message. Should be along the lines to reassure the people in the wake of BCSO’s failure to deploy.
Mine said “I won’t wait. I will move as fast as I can to you. I pledge this to you.”

I've got the contact email for those interested.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:32
FIDO

Now they are reporting that as Coral Springs PD arrived they observed 4 SO deputy’s outside behind their vehicals. Ok one deputy being a coward, maybe, but 4? Sounds more like either a lack of training or someone ordered them to not make entry. Either way this is a complete cluster.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Now they are reporting that as Coral Springs PD arrived they observed 4 SO deputy’s outside behind their vehicals. Ok one deputy being a coward, maybe, but 4? Sounds more like either a lack of training or someone ordered them to not make entry. Either way this is a complete cluster.
I feel very comfortable in saying there is zero chance it has anything to do with training. LE natonwide got a wake up call after Columbine and active shooter tactics are pretty standard across the country with perhaps small inconsequential differences. Move to the sound of violence, and engage it. This isn’t training, it rhymes with “being a pussy”. Oops, did I do that wrong?
Old 23 February 2018, 23:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Training nor permission has anything to do with this. Cowardice and lack of balls is what that department is lacking.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:53
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Well, my advice to current LEOs about this is....

With the number of years this has been going on, every single officer out there has had time, much time, to consider what they would do under these circumstances, plan mentally, to take action... regardless of training.

The most important thing is to act. To reach down inside yourself, grab yourself by the nuts, and handle the problem. Take stock, and if you find yourself unwilling or unable to act, find another paycheck ASAP. Take yourself out of the profession because you are dangerous. To others and yourself. Failure to act is the worst thing, in my book, that you can do. If you are unwilling to man up, and engage when that is your whole fucking purpose in life, then get the fuck out of the job. You don't belong there, and your brothers don't want you there either.

After the Amish school shooting in PA, I had plenty of time to think about what I would do in this type of incident. There is no doubt in my mind what I would do. None. If you have doubts, get the fuck out of the job. Also, if you carry a firearm, you better damn well be mentally prepared to use it for the purpose Samuel Colt made the thing for... and no, it's not about stopping the threat. It's for fucking killing. Killing the threat. Make no bones about it. Drop that murderer like a bad habit. Be mentally prepared to pull that trigger. If you are not, GTFO the job.

I refused to work with a guy that had this exact problem. I almost lost my job because of him. (SP4 mafia related incident...) He froze when someone pointed a rifle at him. He was not mentally prepared to engage the threat. He pissed himself. People like that should not carry a firearm, or be trusted to react in such a situation. They either freeze, hide, or run. If you are one of those, in an LEO position, do everyone a favor and quit... before you get someone, or a lot of someones killed.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 24 February 2018, 00:01
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
I feel very comfortable in saying there is zero chance it has anything to do with training. LE natonwide got a wake up call after Columbine and active shooter tactics are pretty standard across the country with perhaps small inconsequential differences. Move to the sound of violence, and engage it. This isn’t training, it rhymes with “being a pussy”. Oops, did I do that wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Training nor permission has anything to do with this. Cowardice and lack of balls is what that department is lacking.
I agree with both of you. To me personally I can understand how someone could live with themselves after failing to act. Absolute disgrace.

I was just talking to a PD friend of mine. He says this is a big problem with the new generation. Many will only do what they are told. They will not roger up if they are not directed to a call. They will not go to be a backup for another officer unless directed to. Personally if this is the case, they should find a new line of work.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:04
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
Well, my advice to current LEOs about this is....
Great post. This should be read to every graduating academy class.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBad View Post
Because those joke of a background checks that are conducted at Academy Sports & Outdoors/Cabelas have been proven to be ineffective. A revamp from ground up needs to be established. How many times have I taken unto custody a convicted felon who is in possession of a firearm and shows a receipt of the firearm he, himself purchased at Cabelas/ Academy the week prior?

Failing to see why its such an issue to wait a few days for a more effective background check...?

The day it becomes legal in your area, the issue can be addressed as far as purpose. But if you cannot handle your Alchohol, Temper or the ability to refrain from illegal narcotics (however the argument potency) why would you be trusted with firearms?
Every founding father was a felon in the crowns eyes. Just saying.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
Every founding father was a felon in the crowns eyes. Just saying.
Hey! What, a little smuggling, sedition, tax evasion, etc. counts as felonious?
Old 24 February 2018, 00:49
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
I was just talking to a PD friend of mine. He says this is a big problem with the new generation. Many will only do what they are told. They will not roger up if they are not directed to a call. They will not go to be a backup for another officer unless directed to. Personally if this is the case, they should find a new line of work.
That's as may be, but it's been noted that this guy was not of the new generation, he had 30 years on the job.

6 deputies guarding his house now......

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 24 February 2018, 01:06
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
That's as may be, but it's been noted that this guy was not of the new generation, he had 30 years on the job.

6 deputies guarding his house now......
Not saying he was. Just an observation.
Old 24 February 2018, 01:55
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Not saying he was. Just an observation.
Fair enough, me too!

Quote:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...744374784.html
OH...MY...GOD.

If true these people deserve to burn. Slowly.

I haven't done a mass email in probably 10 years. But tonight, I'll make an exception. Every American needs to read this. Why does Hitler claiming a lone communist burned down the Reichstag come to mind?

There is nothing these people won't do to achieve their political ends. They DGAF about your kids.....make an omelette, break a few eggs. :snarl:

This smells like some Trayvon Martin backstory too.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 24 February 2018, 02:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Hey! What, a little smuggling, sedition, tax evasion, etc. counts as felonious?
Who knew?

Our new posting rules