Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 27 April 2018, 12:54
Been There Done That

Finding Vivian Maier (Netflix)

I stumbled across this documentary and found it fascinating. Vivian Maier lived in absolute obscurity, a nanny for the wealthy and upper middle class. After her death a young man buys a few tubs with undeveloped film in an estate auction, prints them out and a photographic genius is found. Her black and whites of America through the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's are on display from New York to Paris and London. The undisturbed slice of American life you uncovered through her lens shows her stunning gift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2nBhQ67Zc
Old 27 April 2018, 13:58
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I've been meaning to watch this for some time, she was a long time nanny for 2 north shore families in Chicago for something like 40 years while she pursued her avocation of photography.

All of those negatives and pictures were almost lost forever, as I understand it. And as soon people started discovering her thanks to the work and diligence of the guy who found and preserved the work, some long lost relative pops up when its discovered there is some money to me made.
Old 27 April 2018, 15:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I've been meaning to watch this for some time, she was a long time nanny for 2 north shore families in Chicago for something like 40 years while she pursued her avocation of photography.

All of those negatives and pictures were almost lost forever, as I understand it. And as soon people started discovering her thanks to the work and diligence of the guy who found and preserved the work, some long lost relative pops up when its discovered there is some money to me made.
Yup...and the young lad has even taken some of her lesser works and sold them at auctions to fund his restoration. I've always liked black and white photography so I found her pictures remarkable.
Old 27 April 2018, 17:58
The atomic zit

I watched the video long enough to see the amount of film she used and the amount of time it to catalog it...

For those with a short attention span please use search this:

vivian maier images
Old 28 April 2018, 19:00
The atomic zit

So asked my hs buddy, who is a photographer in NYC, if he’d heard of her.

Duh, not only a yes, but he manages her archive and prints her work and interviewed in the documentary.

Now to go watch it.

Thanks!

Our new posting rules