SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 3 May 2018, 22:04
Did...did I do that?

Officer in Distress series at Salt Lake Tribune

This is a 6-part series that follows West Jordan Detective Brent Jex through a crushing series of losses, and how he didn't deal with it well. A fellow officer was ambushed by a kid Jex let go. A colleague in another committed suicide not long after a National Guard deployment. A third officer, an FOP colleague, died in another ambush.

Jex felt responsible for the first death and was rocked by the other two in close succession. He also didn't want to seek counseling, for the same reason so many officers refuse it. He was worried about its effect on his career. It almost cost him his marriage.

He eventually did seek counseling (the series talks to the therapist and touches on EMDR for PTSD) and has spearheaded a move in Utah to add mental-health resources for first responders.

I thought it was a good series, and given the suicide rate among public safety and veterans, it might provide a usable model for those who are so inclined.

Officer in Distress
Old 4 May 2018, 07:49

One problem I see with our department is the psychologist we use. He's the same guy that sits on all of the interview panels. His job is to act like a complete asshole and try to rattle your cage. I know of at least one incident where he used the death of an officer's mother to try to rile him up on a panel. Of course, if you're involved in a traumatic event, this is the guy they expect you to talk to. I will never, ever tell this guy anything. We could sit and stare at each other until he signs off that I'm good.
Old 4 May 2018, 13:28
Policeman Officer

That psychologist should be fucking fired.

My department has a stress unit. Everybody hates the guy who runs it and he doesn't really give a shit either. Fortunately there are teams from other agencies that are willing to assist.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 May 2018, 13:47
Time is a flat circle

We have specially trained guys throughout our agency for this kind of thing. I've never seen one, but I hear they exists. The threshold for them to come talk to you must be pretty high or my supervision thinks I'm a psychopath and don't need their help.

Either way.... Sounds like the mental health aspect of law enforcement could be better all around.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 4 May 2018, 15:07
RIP SOTB, CASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post

My department has a stress unit. Everybody hates the guy who runs it and he doesn't really give a shit either. Fortunately there are teams from other agencies that are willing to assist.
Brother if things get bad try giving these folks a call. http://poppanewyork.org/
Old 4 May 2018, 16:36

Quote:
Agreed. Unfortunately, he is golfing buddies with the Sheriff, and has been around for more than 20 years.
Old 4 May 2018, 16:52
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittbulldogVA View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately, he is golfing buddies with the Sheriff, and has been around for more than 20 years.
Lawsuits. Intentional infliction of emotional stress.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 4 May 2018, 16:54
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
Brother if things get bad try giving these folks a call. http://poppanewyork.org/
Bro I don't get PTSD I give it.

We actually have a ton of good resources and stress teams including nearby. The prevailing attitude is that you don't have to be part of that agency to use their team. And there are clergy and other officers who step into the gap left by our official "stress team".

Old 4 May 2018, 17:13
RIP SOTB, CASS

Quote:
Bro I don't get PTSD I give it.

We actually have a ton of good resources and stress teams including nearby. The prevailing attitude is that you don't have to be part of that agency to use their team. And there are clergy and other officers who step into the gap left by our official "stress team".
I should have known better :).

Our new posting rules