SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 May 2018, 15:15
Administrator

Well that's 4 minutes of my life I can never get back. That's like throwing cowshit against a brick wall and challenging someone to find the hidden message. Jokes on you, dumbass. Ain't no message. It's just cowshit.

I hereby pronounce the above post to be Art. I take Paypal.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 May 2018, 15:41

"Art"

http://www.robotbutt.com/2016/03/07/...s-of-dog-poop/
Old 21 May 2018, 17:09
Confirmed User

Is it "art" or is it "propaganda"?

Good propaganda is artistic in it's formulation.

The video was artistically well done - but the message is about as clear as sewage. He's a black guy shooting people and dancing about it. Is he telling us that black guys can't be trusted to have guns, or that African Americans are prone to violence?

In my estimation, it is an artistically produced piece of economic opportunism, adding nothing substantial in terms of content or insight, but making the "artist" more popular with those who 'think' they like the message. Viva-la-capitalism, because if people want to eat shit, someone will sell it.
Old 21 May 2018, 17:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
All kinds of people, black/white/Hispanic/mixed race in groups small and large hanging out walking the streets, kids and adults all enjoying a beautiful day, smiling and having a great time. I make it a point to talk to everyone I can and everyone is pretty damn 'chill' (as the young'ns may say).
I think this is a great point. I believe that the great majority of Americans are busy working, living, making kids, etc., and give little to no concern about all this stuff. Many people who are considered "popular" or "important" have much less effect on the real life of most Americans than they want to believe. Most of us just want to live our lives in peace and happiness.
Old 21 May 2018, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I believe that the great majority of Americans are busy working, living, making kids, etc., and give little to no concern about all this stuff. Many people who are considered "popular" or "important" have much less effect on the real life of most Americans than they want to believe. Most of us just want to live our lives in peace and happiness.
1 - Do not underestimate the amount of people buying into this stuff hook line and sinker. It doesn't take very many people buying into this stuff to create hostile and toxic environments.

2 - The political world around us all right now is proof that these people have absolutely enormous power. They have single-handedly accomplished more to take over the USA than the entirety of the Soviet Bloc nations could have ever dreamed of at the height of the cold war. And they're not going to leave us alone. Ever. No matter how much we want them to.
Old 21 May 2018, 18:12
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Random but true.

I was just talking about the outdoor pet shower we had growing up. My buddy immediately said, was it a garden hose?

If that bitch barked, Dad would let her out the back door. She had an affinity to roll in other dogs shit. She always manage to find the freshest most recent deposit.

Feel free to picture me with a garden hose and bottle of Dawn.

Hose between my knees, One hand on the scruff of her neck and the other trying to wash the shit off of her.
Old 23 May 2018, 09:15
Shovel Whisperer

A few interesting words from Wynton Marsalis.

Speaking on The OP: “I applaud his creativity and what he’s doing,” Marsalis told me before delivering the hammer. “From a social standpoint, it’s hard to decry a thing that you depict. That’s difficult.”

And on Kanye's recent lapse into the topic of Slavery: “I think Kanye West makes products. He’s going to put his product out, and he wants his product to sell,” “I would not give seriousness to what he said, in that way. Okay? This guy is making products. He’s making him some money, got probably a product coming out that he’s selling. He’s saying stuff. People talking about him. They’re going to buy his product,” Marsalis said. “It’s not like Martin Luther King said it, a person who knows or is conscious of a certain thing. … [H]e’s entitled to whatever it is he wants to say. The quality of his thought is in the products he makes"

And just in case you didn't know where Wynton stands on Rap: “You can’t have a pipeline of filth be your default position” and not have it take a toll on society, Marsalis told me. “It’s just like the toll the minstrel show took on black folks and on white folks. Now, all this ‘nigger this,’ ‘bitch that,’ ‘ho that,’ that’s just a fact at this point. For me, it was not a default position in the ’80s. Now that it is the default position, how you like me now? You like what it’s yielding? Something is wrong with you — you need your head examined if you like this.”

Considering the recently announced Tour of Childish Gambino, I'd say "Product" is the answer for what Glover is after. Product he can sell.

[quotes from washington post.]
Old 23 May 2018, 14:11
Darwin Award Presenter

Whatever his intent, or subliminal messaging was, he was very successful in getting his secondary gain.

Attention.

And, he was also successful in creating.

Distraction.
Old 27 May 2018, 00:08
Administrator

Fascinating little tidbit....this guy is the actor that plays Lando Calrissian in the latest Han Solo movie....very surprised since Disney owns Lucasfilm now.

You probably aren't going to see him in any Disneyworld parades....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 27 May 2018, 08:49
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
Is it "art" or is it "propaganda"?

Good propaganda is artistic in it's formulation.

The video was artistically well done - but the message is about as clear as sewage. He's a black guy shooting people and dancing about it. Is he telling us that black guys can't be trusted to have guns, or that African Americans are prone to violence?

In my estimation, it is an artistically produced piece of economic opportunism, adding nothing substantial in terms of content or insight, but making the "artist" more popular with those who 'think' they like the message. Viva-la-capitalism, because if people want to eat shit, someone will sell it.

Or is he highlighting the blatant lack of action taken by the leaders that profess to "Care about my People" in the black on black violence across the country?
Old 27 May 2018, 09:41
Confirmed User

On Friday night as I came onto my shift (2100-0700) the second shift (12-2200) was having a discussion with the other the investigator on my shift. They were discussing this song. If I didn't care for it before, I really do not care for it now since they played it about 20times during that hour discussing how great it was and pointing out all the great hidden meanings of the video. One investigator is approaching her 50th birthday, and the other is about to approach his 26 or 27th birthday, so the age range varies.

As Box pointed out, I grew up on the music of the 80s along with classic rock so I guess I am stuck on that mind set, and just do not buy into what this individual is trying to convey.
Old 27 May 2018, 10:28
Assholier than thou

The real interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx6k3c3v8mU

"We were not sheep, for we knew the reality of violence; We were not wolves, for we respected humanity; We were not sheep dogs, for we “hunted” our adversaries. We were, in fact, lions; and in the land of the jackal… the lion fears no predator."
Old 27 May 2018, 10:56
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Fascinating little tidbit....this guy is the actor that plays Lando Calrissian in the latest Han Solo movie....very surprised since Disney owns Lucasfilm now.

You probably aren't going to see him in any Disneyworld parades....

The writer for Star Wars has stated Lando is “pansexual”. I guess that means he’s into to cookware.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 28 May 2018, 02:52
I am Johan

If anything, this thread has proved to me how varied a definition of art is in society. And...that's a good thing. Worst thing that could happen to art IMO is for it to become so one-dimensional that anyone agrees on it.
Old 28 May 2018, 07:46
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Take a look at some of the "art" created by Goebbels prior to WW2.

Tell me it only effected a small portion of the population.

No, it didn't.

Just because it's not effecting you or I, does not mean it is not effecting the sheep. We see it for what it is. Cow shit. The sheep see "art" because other sheep tell them it's art.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 28 May 2018, 09:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
The writer for Star Wars has stated Lando is “pansexual”. I guess that means he’s into to cookware.
I had to look that'un up...wish I didn't.
Old 31 May 2018, 06:18
I am Johan

Quote:
Just because it's not effecting you or I, does not mean it is not effecting the sheep.
Ah, but here we venture into the territory of "targeted" art, or propaganda, that is created for carrying a specific message or set of messages aimed at target group(s) all the while appearing to be completely harmless to them.

Our new posting rules