SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 16 September 2018, 17:11
Been There Done That

However gay, faux tough or coulda, woulda, shoulda been a badass (insert SOF unit here) at least they're doing something. If it gets them off the couch, out in the woods and PT'ing, even for a short period of time who am I to criticize?
Old 16 September 2018, 17:47
0311/8651

Add gunfire for more realism.
Old 16 September 2018, 17:51
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Add a five-year enlistment for more realism, with the motivation of "Worldwide Needs-Of-The-Force" assignment if you fail.
Concur!
Old 17 September 2018, 09:00
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
However gay, faux tough or coulda, woulda, shoulda been a badass (insert SOF unit here) at least they're doing something. If it gets them off the couch, out in the woods and PT'ing, even for a short period of time who am I to criticize?
I do agree with this. Doing 'something' is better than doing nothing - as long as you don't compensate with more junk food
Old 17 September 2018, 10:56
Confirmed User

GR has expanded beyond the menu of the 12-36-hour beatdown. Those are GR's foundations, but they offer firearms training, survival stuff, orienteering-heavy events, etc. They also do historical-related events, like at Normandy where they really involve a lot of history.

I don't have an issue with GR. As a red-blooded American free-market capitalist, if they can make a dollar off people who want the experience and pain, hey, go for it. I DO have an issue with the outrageously over-priced gear they have. Most of my issues, though, are with the people who do the events and suddenly want to think their are bulletproof.
Old 17 September 2018, 13:38
Been There Done That

I should buy some $100 backpacks, throw a SF inspired patch on them , and then label them Special forces certified, and then require students buy them for $225 when they go through my schools Extreme Selection Event. (Started mine back in 1999 at my first school).

Have four students this Friday night doing the event.

Been hiking around 2 hours myself every day recently. Using my mystery Ranch 3 day pack. Such a well made and comfortable pack. Only bad part is my hiking buddy, Mr Hank, is on light duty so he stays home. But plus side is I hike faster without him, as I don't need a piss break every 100 meters. ; )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 September 2018, 00:53
Another pool cleaner

Can you imagine the type of FUN that can be had with a Socnet cadre?
Old 18 September 2018, 01:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I have an event I make all my martial arts students go through before they can progress to the advanced forms. Been doing for years and the students do like it, as it does push them to limits. Makes them earn the right to learn the advanced forms. And for some considering military service , gives them a small glimpse and for others a challenge.

I don't tell them what the events are just that it will
Be all night long. They spend several hours at the school doing drills, conditioning, getting Smoked, full contact sparring, ground fighting, etc.

Then I blind fold them and drive them out to a remote part of the county, rural farm land or woods. Tie up their hands. Drop a couple of rucks in their midsts and tell them find their way back to the school. Then I drive off. It is straight line distance about 14 miles back to the school. Then when they get back to the school early morning, I make them do drills and sparring again for a couple of hours. Then I blind fold them again, say one last event, and then drive them to a greasy spoon cafe where i treat them to a big breakfast. They get a token and special edition book for completing the event.

Students have to complete this event along with several other unique challenges , and a handgunsnd carbine course I teach, along with profiency in the art and all it's forms, skills and drills to be awarded a Black Sash and Certicate of completion. Traditionally no ranks in my art, but I have this at my school to give the students a goal to shoot for and encourage them to progress.

Jesus. You're like having RHOF'm Kevin Connell for a 1SG. He was mine for awhile. He pulled that Jedi shit on us all the time.

Camp Dawson flashbacks I guess.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 26 November 2018, 12:20
Renob

I will have to start a GoPreDive for those who want to step up their game.
Old 26 November 2018, 16:36
Been There Done That

I converted from my army ruck to a goruck bag with weight and really enjoy the compact bag and it's tough build.

I didn't do the selection, just an afternoon goruck.
I was skeptical of the event prior to signing up, seemed like a lot of hero worship by office folks who wanted a military experience to make them feel accomplished. I was hoping it would be something different.
It wasn't, I didn't dig the posturing of the cadre or the other marchers weird acts of toughness.

I like my rucker pack and weights, but won't be joining those folks for events.

Be cool to just ruck with folks without all the chest thumping and pretending to be troops shit, then i remember i don't most like people...so maybe the whole thing just isn't for me....
Old 26 November 2018, 17:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Power View Post
I will have to start a GoPreDive for those who want to step up their game.
I starting a go1stGroupruck.

Where we ruck down to the closest Thai or Korean restaurant, then drink beer and eat Thai or Korean food all evening while bitching, griping and complaining.

Must wear a Rolex and Baht chain to the event. Bonus points if you bring or leave with a long haired dictionary.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 26 November 2018, 22:02
Freelancer

^^^ Don't forget a Randall.
Old 26 November 2018, 22:34
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
I converted from my army ruck to a goruck bag with weight and really enjoy the compact bag and it's tough build.

I didn't do the selection, just an afternoon goruck.
I was skeptical of the event prior to signing up, seemed like a lot of hero worship by office folks who wanted a military experience to make them feel accomplished. I was hoping it would be something different.
It wasn't, I didn't dig the posturing of the cadre or the other marchers weird acts of toughness.

I like my rucker pack and weights, but won't be joining those folks for events.

Be cool to just ruck with folks without all the chest thumping and pretending to be troops shit, then i remember i don't most like people...so maybe the whole thing just isn't for me....
Go on a ruck with Armitage. Fucking guy is part billy goat. Also smart as hell so the conversation is great and time flies. Well that is until he finds a little mom and pop apple orchard and bakery.
Old 27 November 2018, 11:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I starting a go1stGroupruck.

Where we ruck down to the closest Thai or Korean restaurant, then drink beer and eat Thai or Korean food all evening while bitching, griping and complaining.

Must wear a Rolex and Baht chain to the event. Bonus points if you bring or leave with a long haired dictionary.
I may drive up to your neck of the woods for that event!
Old 30 November 2018, 20:16
Confirmed User

Pardon my extended response...but I’ll fess up & say I did the Go Ruck “Light” event this summer with 3 coworkers (2 former Marines & one Navy). We are all members of our company’s “Military Veterans Employee Resource Group”. They wanted to get a group together to participate in it for some comradery & maybe a little adventure, but we were the only 4 who volunteered. The company paid our entry fees & none of us purchased GR’s gear, we just went w/ what we already had of our own. Nor had we ever done one before or knew anything about them. I’ve also never done anything similar to it such as a Tough Mudder, Spartan or Warrior Dash type races etc.

The 2 main reasons I did it were...
1) This event was advertised as to commemorate & honor the Fallen members of Extortion 17 & those who risked their lives to rescue them. I thought that was a worthy cause

2) The other was that I had just been Medically Retired & put on the PDRL (70%) in March after being found “Unfit for Duty” for my injuries (Bilateral shoulder Rotator Cuff, Labrum & Bicep tears and now also neck arthritis & bulging discs) from my last OEF deployment supporting SOTF-SE in 2014. Since my surgeries 2 years ago, I havent done much to test myself other than PT. I figured since I hadnt had a good kick in the nuts in a long time I was overdue.

GR’s website doesnt give much of a description on what goes on during these events, so I contacted GR to ask questions about whether or not this would be something I could do. After telling them my condition, they recommended that I not do it & said they’d refund me my fee. I declined & told them I may not able to do it all, but I will give it my best & only skip what I think would cause any re-injury or make my condition worse.

The 2 Cadre were a former Retired member of SFOD-D & the other a Recon Marine, so that added to my motivation. All the evolutions were based on working together as a team instead of individual & at the midpoint, we took a break while the Cadre talked about the chain of events that happened during the mission leading to Extortion 17 going down & what happened afterward.

In the end I did all the evolutions except for the overhead presses & monkey bars. I can’t say I did great, but I feel I more than carried my own weight. It was by no means the toughest thing I have ever done during my 21 years in the Navy, but it was since getting out.

I will end this saying I didn't post this to change any minds of those who feel these events aren’t very difficult, close to being in the Military or comparable to what most of you have gone thru...or that some of those who participate in them aren't trying to pretend they’re badass warriors.

For a few of us, we just did it to challenge ourselves for where we are at in life now. When I told my 12 year old who wanted to do it w/ us what we did, he laughed at me & said quit your whining you Big Puss!!

Last edited by seabee1226; 30 November 2018 at 20:39.
Old 30 November 2018, 23:06
Confirmed User

I ruck with a couple guys who have gotten into GR. They've tried to get me to try it but I keep passing. The idea of a thrashing doesn't appeal to me these days.

That said, I did just sign up for a 12 miler next summer in Cinci. If anybody wants to join me, feel free. I think the hike should be fun.

Our new posting rules