SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 4 May 2018, 01:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
snip snip

But if you have no medical issues - like SB said above, spending 45 minutes doing all these rollers, "peanuts" etc... BEFORE you even get into your main training, is friggen ridiculous, to me - I can spend as much time as I want in the gym, but I wouldn't want to spend *that* long.

Do what you gotta do, but don't major in the minors over this stuff, is my opinion.
Iím not crazy loco in the stretching before and after.

I had lower back issues from a training injury for 18 months.

It gave me an excuse to be a fat bastard. But for real, couldnít get out of bed by myself at times.

Back fixed, ruck on, disciplined keto diet, and 16 weeks later Iím down over 40 pounds back to the weight I was when I came out the back end of Assessment.

Havenít felt this good in years and want to sustain it.

But my flexibility is still absolutely horrible.

Iíve always stretched, doing the minimum before/after.

Iíve also seen the benefits of yoga on reducing injury risk for folks doing high intensity/tempo training.

Iím too impatient to spend much time on stretching/yoga, but I should probably do a little more for flexibility.

Injuries: lower back like a bag of broken glass, 1 shoulder rotator cuff partial tear, both ankles ligaments level 2 tears, 3 broken fingers/toes, 2 lost teeth, 1 TBI(minor), 1 corneal tear, hearing(what you say?), and a terminally dark sense of humour.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 4 May 2018, 07:22
Administrator

I'd suggest focusing on mobility, not flexibility.

You want to have full range of motion and be able to do so without having to concentrate on the movement. That's mobility.

Yoga can help you be more mobile, however, some of the extreme moves are not needed, nor helpful IMO. People go crazy on yoga when the average male could do 15-30 minutes a day of the basic moves and get more out it than signing up for 90 minute hot yoga sessions. (other than the hot chicks)

I posted some links that have info from guys who have been successful for a long time helping people be mobile too. Good luck.
Old 4 May 2018, 07:59
BTDT

Remember, there is no law that says you have to do *only* x type workouts - do them all. Periodization and Purpose Specific Training makes for well rounded fitness. Everything has a purpose, being dogmatic about a system/method will limit you.

As far as that equipment Choke mentioned - if you're cheap, like me - Ross Enamit showed how to make a bunch of stuff in his books, for cheap. Canvas duffle bag filled with Gallon Freezer Bags of sand.... Basketball cut open and filled with sand... Basketball net tied at the end to put the ball into with a rope handle, etc...
Old 4 May 2018, 08:31
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Remember, there is no law that says you have to do *only* x type workouts - do them all. Periodization and Purpose Specific Training makes for well rounded fitness. Everything has a purpose, being dogmatic about a system/method will limit you.

As far as that equipment Choke mentioned - if you're cheap, like me - Ross Enamit showed how to make a bunch of stuff in his books, for cheap. Canvas duffle bag filled with Gallon Freezer Bags of sand.... Basketball cut open and filled with sand... Basketball net tied at the end to put the ball into with a rope handle, etc...
For sandbags I used an old duffel bag and filled it with rubber mulch. The bags come in 40lbs so I made two bags; 80 and 40. Then twist the top as far down as it will go, two zip ties, and wrap it in 100 mph tape. After a while I hand sewed some tubular nylon on to make throwing it and lifting it easier.

I was doing Ĺ mi lateral throw left, right, clean, 5x back squat, and then throw it. Rinse repeat around a ľ mi track twice. It takes about 45-50 min but it will build some sinew.
Old 4 May 2018, 08:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I'd suggest focusing on mobility, not flexibility.

You want to have full range of motion and be able to do so without having to concentrate on the movement. That's mobility.

Yoga can help you be more mobile, however, some of the extreme moves are not needed, nor helpful IMO. People go crazy on yoga when the average male could do 15-30 minutes a day of the basic moves and get more out it than signing up for 90 minute hot yoga sessions. (other than the hot chicks)

I posted some links that have info from guys who have been successful for a long time helping people be mobile too. Good luck.
Cheers SB.

Iím looking at setting aside 20 minutes x 5 days a week for mobility.

Iím solid with cardio, lower body, and core.

The hard part is going to be upper body and strength training, more fear than anything. I donít want a return to a problematic lower back. Ever. So Iím being extra careful.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 4 May 2018, 09:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post

Back fixed, ruck on, disciplined keto diet, and 16 weeks later I’m down over 40 pounds back to the weight I was when I came out the back end of Assessment.
Damn, nice job.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
For sandbags I used an old duffel bag and filled it with rubber mulch. The bags come in 40lbs so I made two bags; 80 and 40. Then twist the top as far down as it will go, two zip ties, and wrap it in 100 mph tape. After a while I hand sewed some tubular nylon on to make throwing it and lifting it easier.

I was doing Ĺ mi lateral throw left, right, clean, 5x back squat, and then throw it. Rinse repeat around a ľ mi track twice. It takes about 45-50 min but it will build some sinew.
I have a pile of burlap coffee bags at my roastery. They're rough, I wouldn't want to have too much skin contact with em, but they're strong, and I'm happy to mail them out (free, or for the cost of shipping, depending).

Quote:
Cheers SB.

I’m looking at setting aside 20 minutes x 5 days a week for mobility.

I’m solid with cardio, lower body, and core.

The hard part is going to be upper body and strength training, more fear than anything. I don’t want a return to a problematic lower back. Ever. So I’m being extra careful.
My lower back sucks too. I initially started deadlifting years ago AFTER it herniated, with my chiropractors guidance, and it made a huge difference. Kettlebell workouts have had the same effect, I manage it pretty well on my own with stretching and the KB basics. Turkish get ups increase flexibility in problematic areas for a lot of people, and really help the shoulders, hips, core, etc. It's basically weighted yoga.
Old 4 May 2018, 13:17
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
You can (good call on finding them, I got the name wrong, LOL) - but those are the 90% blocking ones. I went full bore with the Yellow 99% blocking ones here:

https://www.amazon.com/Cyxus-Compute...ue+Light+Block

They *do* turn TV yellow, but it actually isn't bad and you get used to it. But yeah, if you want as normal a picture as possible, get one of the clear, 90% ones - they work too, and you can tell by looking at TV and lifting them up and down - there is a subtle change in the Blue color. So go with what you like best.
Went "full bore".. it's 20 bucks, throw caution to the wind, I say. But seriously, sleep is something I value. My job can have me up 2-4 times a night when I'm on shift. I'm always looking for a sleep "edge". Will report back.
Old 4 May 2018, 13:27
Voodoo guru

Quote:
The hard part is going to be upper body and strength training, more fear than anything. I donít want a return to a problematic lower back. Ever. So Iím being extra careful.
Get one of those big swiss exercise balls, and do back bridges for as long as you can stand it. You'll find that not only will you get an awesome endorphin release, it'll do amazing things for your back.

After breaking my back, that's been my go-to stretch for my back. It is something I look forward to nightly, because this wave of euphoria oozes over you after you've done it, and then climb into the rack.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 4 May 2018, 13:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Get one of those big swiss exercise balls, and do back bridges for as long as you can stand it. You'll find that not only will you get an awesome endorphin release, it'll do amazing things for your back.

After breaking my back, that's been my go-to stretch for my back. It is something I look forward to nightly, because this wave of euphoria oozes over you after you've done it, and then climb into the rack.
Dang Choke....you and I are on the same page. I use that swiss ball DAILY ....multiple times a day. If I need to do it 20 times for relief, I do it 20 times. Most of the time I need it 6-7 times a day, some days less. I've got L3-L4 fusion, pins and rods inserted, and a really bad arthritic neck that bows the wrong way putting a lot of pressure on my T vertebrae. I look to get into a comfortable position after I bridge and then rotate my head side to side increasing my C vert flexibility.

I've come to the conclusion that a chiropractor can only do so much and it's up to me to do the rest. IMO you have to work you spine everyday, the ball has been huge in that regard. Only takes about 10-20 seconds at a time....I do some rotation work too looking to rotate my verts like I'm reaching up left hand/right hand.....and I'm gtg for awhile.

I like to hang from a door too. The door keeps my body lined up, those lower verts sublaxate (is that a word?), I can feel the popping and pulling apart....and it takes the pressure off.

I don't want to be one of those old ossified hunched over dudes when I'm ninety.
Old 4 May 2018, 14:03
Walking the walk

Quote:
Get one of those big swiss exercise balls, and do back bridges
Coincidently I just started doing this. Also doing side bends over the ball and that really loosened up decades-old frozen up chassis components. I shat myself initially, figuratively. Felt like something was going to pop but it did wonders.

19Mike, I'm in the same boat. Loong history of spinal shit starting back in high school rugby, to more recent blah blah blah, and every day is now DIY chiropractic day for me. At one stage I was partially blind and paralysed left arm from a race car crash. Got myself back from that to doing 100 pushups with that arm. Fixed myself through daily mobility perseverence

Last edited by Soutpiel; 4 May 2018 at 14:17.
Old 4 May 2018, 14:23
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Went "full bore".. it's 20 bucks, throw caution to the wind, I say. But seriously, sleep is something I value. My job can have me up 2-4 times a night when I'm on shift. I'm always looking for a sleep "edge". Will report back.
Bud, I was amazed. I put those things on about 2hrs before bed (10PM) and I'm yawning in 30 minutes. Try to expose yourself to as much sunlight/daylight without sunglasses. This sets up your circadian rhythm for success. I don't wear sunglasses at all now.

Two cheap amino-acids that you can get in bulk on Amazon (BulkSupplements) are Glycine and L-Theanine. They are calming, as is Magnesium. 30 minutes pre-bed.

Shift work sucks - it's killing people (messed up circadian, cortisol, insulin resistance).
Old 4 May 2018, 14:24
BTDT

Quote:
Get one of those big swiss exercise balls, and do back bridges...
Bridging is awesome.
Old 4 May 2018, 14:26
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
For sandbags I used an old duffel bag and filled it with rubber mulch.
Nice tip on the rubber mulch - expensive?
Old 4 May 2018, 14:28
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
Dang Choke....you and I are on the same page. I use that swiss ball DAILY ....multiple times a day. If I need to do it 20 times for relief, I do it 20 times. Most of the time I need it 6-7 times a day, some days less. I've got L3-L4 fusion, pins and rods inserted, and a really bad arthritic neck that bows the wrong way putting a lot of pressure on my T vertebrae. I look to get into a comfortable position after I bridge and then rotate my head side to side increasing my C vert flexibility.

I've come to the conclusion that a chiropractor can only do so much and it's up to me to do the rest. IMO you have to work you spine everyday, the ball has been huge in that regard. Only takes about 10-20 seconds at a time....I do some rotation work too looking to rotate my verts like I'm reaching up left hand/right hand.....and I'm gtg for awhile.

I like to hang from a door too. The door keeps my body lined up, those lower verts sublaxate (is that a word?), I can feel the popping and pulling apart....and it takes the pressure off.

I don't want to be one of those old ossified hunched over dudes when I'm ninety.
Amazing ain't it? Bridging is one of the best possible things anyone can do for their body over all. Yet, our primate brains have seemingly moved on from such things since we stopped hanging from trees. :-)

My back is nowhere near as beat up as yours Mike; but damn, it's good to see that you're getting relief. Between hanging and bridging, and general mobility work, daily, my back, which had a curve in it as a parting gift from the Army; no longer has that bend, and it's healthier than before I broke it.

The break in mine, vaporized L1 and L2, but because of core development, it stayed localized. The hanging, and bridging put everything back the way it was supposed to go. Since it was put back to where it was supposed to go, there is nothing for a chiropractor, or a surgeon to put back in place.

Here's a pic from the crash that broke my back. I let a fellow grunt drive my 911. Apparently driving was boring, so he tried to take it for a flight. 40 feet airborne, hit the first tree then I hit the airbag; the second tree I obviously tried my luck with the windshield.

My 11B buddy, got 13 hours of surgery, and a good portion of the use of his left leg, as well as his pecker. The surgeon was surprised I didn't need the same.

And that surgeon directly contributed my spines lack of permanent damage to all of the core mobility training.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 911 skull shot 2.jpg (36.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 911 my skull went here.jpg (55.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 911 crash posted to socnet mobility thread 1.jpg (47.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 911 crash collage.jpg (72.6 KB, 96 views)

Old 4 May 2018, 14:36
BTDT

Damn, he Paul Walker'ed that mf'er...
Old 4 May 2018, 14:44
Confirmed User

So I googled ball bridging and I see a lot of glue bridging and people laying on the floor with their heels on the balls. I'm imagining laying over the ball, back to the ball?

I've got a deflated ball somewhere in the house, I used it for quad work after getting out of ICU so it may be time to re-purpose. I stepped off a curb wrong a while back and jammed the hell out of my right hip, lower back. Chiro got it loosened up a bit but it was still tight. On a walk one day and I stop do do some hammy stretches and feel something click/pop and since then very little discomfort - like from a 5-7 to 0-1. I do notice it after playing golf from all the turning.
Old 4 May 2018, 14:49
Voodoo guru

Yes, absolutely. Sit on the MF'er and just lean back until your hands touch the floor, keep your heels flat. And as you're able, spread your legs further when you want to arch further.

Old 4 May 2018, 14:57
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Damn, he Paul Walker'ed that mf'er...
Yeah man...
The woman that we dodged, because she was running in the middle of our lane (which caused the over correction and crash actually), took a picture, and posted on Twitter and Facebook before she bothered to call 911. The following pic is one that she posted, and some friend captured before she took em all down, when she started catching heat from the neighborhood folk.

That's my buddy on the ground, he was able to roll out of the drivers seat after the crash. And in true grunt fashion, I remember him saying that he was coming to get my out before I passed out. Remember, his back was broken too.

And in this pic, I was in the process of about to be cut out of my own car. I barely remember this. I passed out when they started to get me on the gurney. Woke up and tried to escape from the ambulance. I woke up in the ER, and tried to escape; four orderlies put me back in the bed, dosed me with something, and strapped me down. I woke up, and pried myself out of the restraints and tried to get out again. Same four orderlies, but with the addition of the off duty cop working the ER, back in the bed, this time with hand, arm, leg, and waist restraints, and dosed hard enough to have woke up in the ICU 2 days later. I do not remember trying to escape; but it's on film...

The Cat-scan guy told me about it when I was on his table. He couldn't believe that my back was broken, and trying to fight my way out of the ER. Then they showed me the video's. Suffice it to say, I found every one of those people and apologized. Survival and escape in action there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 911 on the ground.jpg (37.6 KB, 92 views)

Old 4 May 2018, 16:21
Been There Done That

What size Swiss ball you recommend? Amazon link?

The inversion table I bought several years ago has done wonders for my back as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 May 2018, 16:22
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Bud, I was amazed. I put those things on about 2hrs before bed (10PM) and I'm yawning in 30 minutes. Try to expose yourself to as much sunlight/daylight without sunglasses. This sets up your circadian rhythm for success. I don't wear sunglasses at all now.

Two cheap amino-acids that you can get in bulk on Amazon (BulkSupplements) are Glycine and L-Theanine. They are calming, as is Magnesium. 30 minutes pre-bed.

Shift work sucks - it's killing people (messed up circadian, cortisol, insulin resistance).
Thanks again

Our new posting rules