SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 23 April 2018, 22:40
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I've reworked my resume a half-dozen times.

In the last three years I've gotten one (1) interview, and that was an out of the blue phone call interview that, while it lasted a half-hour, yielded nothing.

Getting pretty frustrated. Not looking for a killer job, just something, anything, that will pay roughly what I'm getting paid now.

Problem with Asheville is that there aren't a lot of jobs other than service industry. Competition is high, slots few, pay is generally low. Being at the Sheriff's office is routinely categorized by my peers as being boxed in... we've got good pay for the region, more than one can typically get anywhere else, so we're boxed into the job, unable to leave without taking a cut. Oh, and I hate, literally HATE, supervising inmates. I've seen too much evil in my life. Need a change. Badly.

[/rant]
Send it on to me.
Old 23 April 2018, 22:54
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by iExpresso View Post
Any recommendations for resume creating websites? According to my wife, My current resume is “soooooooo 2000!” lol. Or at least outline recommendations? Should i use LinkedIn?

Ive tried to use myperfectresume dot com site but user interface was laggy/buggy and not friendly to my expectations.
This is offered (again) to the group and not meant to single you out or suggest any misgivings on your part.

No one cares about your aspirations or other personal wants and desires. Career goals at the top say "Hey, fuck you and your job, what I want is more important!"

Start off with a qualifications summary that summarizes your skill set and lists your greatest accomplishment in that field.

Tell me what you can do, show me where you have done it and show me where you have done it well.

Start your main body resume entries with an action verb and not some thing like "Directed to...." Use the verb that describes the task.. Lead a team of 5 aircraft mechanics in achieving the US Army's Aviation Safety Award.

No one cares what you were responsible for or some bloated Army budget number. I could have been responsible for an overwhelmingly daunting task like "Prevent Silverbullet from eating crayons" We all know that is just not gonna happen.
Old 23 April 2018, 23:36
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I could have been responsible for an overwhelmingly daunting task like "Prevent Silverbullet from eating crayons" We all know that is just not gonna happen.
If you prevent SB from banning people faster, he's really going to be pisssed.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 25 April 2018, 07:21
Administrator

You're both banned.
Old 25 April 2018, 09:27
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
If you prevent SB from banning people faster, he's really going to be pisssed.
BUT, I will bet that he can ban you faster than you can respond to this post?????

Our new posting rules