SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 18 July 2018, 13:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
There’s ALOT to unpack in this situation. I’m curious as to why you feel this way, if I may ask.
Sure.
There are quite a few Supreme Court decisions regarding use of force and vehicle pursuits. Probably the most cited is Scott v Harris.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/06pdf/05-1631.pdf

As the law progresses, the Court has been giving officers immunity from suit - but they have telegraphed that the death of a passenger may be actionable and I haven't yet seen the court decide that issue

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1117_1bn5.pdf

This application of deadly force was in a populated area and compounded with other traffic on the road.

Just as we teach protective details that they must consider the presence of innocent bystanders and it is not a good idea to have a gunfight in a crowded hotel lobby, I suggest that shooting the driver of a moving vehicle - risks that vehicle going into the path of an innocent person's vehicle, or even into one of the business/houses along the way.

The innocent bystanders have a right not to be hurt and it is reasonably foreseeable that this could happen. Civil liability could attach. I am also suggesting that if an innocent were killed, manslaughter charges might result.

Just saying.
Old 18 July 2018, 13:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
He chased down and shot two murder suspects that were putting rounds into his cruiser with zero injuries to innocent parties. He fumbled a reload in probably the most stressful moment of his life. I'm scratching my head at your comments. What would you have preferred that he do?
As I posted above, consider the presence of the other vehicles on the road, and the proximity of the houses/businesses. The result was the best that could come from his "closure" with the subjects. Best to control the situation and not to have gunfights between vehicles IMHO.
Old 18 July 2018, 13:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Sure.
There are quite a few Supreme Court decisions regarding use of force and vehicle pursuits. Probably the most cited is Scott v Harris.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/06pdf/05-1631.pdf

As the law progresses, the Court has been giving officers immunity from suit - but they have telegraphed that the death of a passenger may be actionable and I haven't yet seen the court decide that issue

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1117_1bn5.pdf

This application of deadly force was in a populated area and compounded with other traffic on the road.

Just as we teach protective details that they must consider the presence of innocent bystanders and it is not a good idea to have a gunfight in a crowded hotel lobby, I suggest that shooting the driver of a moving vehicle - risks that vehicle going into the path of an innocent persons vehicle, or even into one of the business/houses along the way.

The innocent bystanders have a right not to be hurt and it is reasonably foreseeable that this could happen. Civil liability could attach. I am also suggesting that if an innocent were killed, manslaughter charges might result.

Just saying.
I certainly respect your opinion in these matters because as usual -- you are always spot on.

I do think that your post applies to multiple police shootings whether or not they involve a pursuit. I have worked multiple OIS's whereby LE have shot at moving cars and they have been exonerated both in the criminal and civil realm in situations much like this thread.

LEO's can only be taught concerning the applicability of the existing laws and hopefully learn them well enough that they are planted within their psyche and are able to be recalled in nanoseconds when making those decisions like the LEO had to make in this video.

I don't feel that his actions warrant him being fired though. Especially since I'm not involved, if that was to happen, I will leave that decision up to his department.

As always, thanks for the information, FKL.
Old 18 July 2018, 13:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I think he did just fine with the exception of the decision to return fire that was essentially un-aimed, fired from a vehicle moving at high speed, in a densely populated area. Those rounds had virtually no chance of hitting the intended target. Just because someone is shooting at you, doesn't mean the default answer is shooting back. The shooting at the end I see no problem with at all. Kill those motherfuckers.

As it turned out, nobody was injured by his rounds. But, if just one of those rounds had struck and killed an innocent bystander, he goes from hero to zero in a millisecond. I'm not talking about departmental liability and all that shit. I'm talking about him having to live with that, forever.

He took a risk, and he got away with it. He is a hero in my book. But, it could have very easily been a disaster.

Another example of not criticizing him individually, but let's learn something from what happened in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation. Hell, I might have taken those shots too if it was me, in that moment, in all that chaos. I don't know. But I would just about guarantee you that right now, in hindsight, if you could ask him if he could do that over again if he would have fired those shots.....I'm betting he would say no, that was a mistake.
My thoughts exactly. I cringed when he opened fire right as the target vehicle was next to the U-Haul truck. At the end, it appears that he fires a stray round into the side of what was reported to be a school. Thankfully this incident ended without any injury to innocent bystanders, but I think there were a multitude of decisions that should've been made better. I fully understand that things get a little crazy when the rounds start flying, and I'm definitely a fan of his willingness to get in the fight. I just think there was a lot of good initiative, bad judgement here.
Old 18 July 2018, 13:26
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
My thoughts exactly. I cringed when he opened fire right as the target vehicle was next to the U-Haul truck. At the end, it appears that he fires a stray round into the side of what was reported to be a school. Thankfully this incident ended without any injury to innocent bystanders, but I think there were a multitude of decisions that should've been made better. I fully understand that things get a little crazy when the rounds start flying, and I'm definitely a fan of his willingness to get in the fight. I just think there was a lot of good initiative, bad judgement here.
Concur.
Old 18 July 2018, 13:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
...I just think there was a lot of good initiative, bad judgement here.
Personally, I think that is the biggest takeaway from the entire event. It probably will - or at least should - be used for training in a lot of academies and In-Services.
Old 18 July 2018, 14:48
BTDT

Quote:
He took a risk, and he got away with it. He is a hero in my book. But, it could have very easily been a disaster.
This.

The officer needs a pat on the back followed by an epic ass chewing.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 18 July 2018, 16:55
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
LEO's can only be taught concerning the applicability of the existing laws
They need to be taught that little factoid about a round being fired through the windshield from inside to out being 2 feet high @ 15 ft down range as well. Return fire against someone standing at reasonable distance in front of the vehicle, absolutely (rather try to get off the X myself but that might not be possible, right?) but from moving vehicle to moving vehicle at 50m? No bueno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
I don't feel that his actions warrant him being fired though. Especially since I'm not involved, if that was to happen, I will leave that decision up to his department.
That guy has no worries, I promise you. Metro has never fired an officer yet AFAIK. I mean at all. I might have missed one but it's certainly less that the fingers on one hand. They won't be firing "The Coward of the County" either.

This officer and others involved in the pursuit will be decorated with the Medal of Honor (yes, they are graceless enough to call it that) at one of Metro's periodic "aren't we great" ceremonies in the near future.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 18 July 2018, 17:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Your post.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, with a caveat. The only problem that I had with the incident was the shots through the windshield for the reasons already mentioned, so I won't beat that dead horse. I agree with you on the windshield shots. Everything else I am good with. Pursuits are dangerous by nature, and I understand that there must be a fine line between what you chase and what you don't based on the circumstances. I think murder suspects actively firing on officers is something you absolutely continue to pursue. If that doesn't qualify to pursue then we shouldn't ever pursue anything, ever. I watched the video again, and in my opinion for what he was dealt, he did a great job with that part of it. I didn't see him get reckless or out of control, he communicated descriptions, direction of travel, relayed that he was being fired upon, warned the other unit of being too closely, kept a reasonable distance, etc.

Specifically regarding the shots through the windshield however, I would venture to say that a vast majority of officers (certainly the ones I know) have never actually fired a round through a windshield and are unaware of the angle or amount of deflection. I am lucky enough to have done so multiple times through SWAT, but most officers haven't done that. So as to whether his decision to do so should be grounds for de-certifying him and booting him out of LE, I would have a question. Does that fall on his shoulders, or the department's if he has never been trained on that issue and he was acting in good faith during a critical incident as seen under Graham?

Personally? I agree with BigNickT. Big atta boy for the incident as a whole.....now lets talk about that windshield thing. Not MMQB'ing him, but these incidents are absolutely GREAT training tools for LE as a whole and I think we would be remiss not to discuss them.
Old 18 July 2018, 17:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
I would have a question. Does that fall on his shoulders, or the department's if he has never been trained on that issue and he was acting in good faith during a critical incident as seen under Graham?

My guess, it would fall on both. The Department has the deep pockets, and he risks both civil and potential criminal liability if things go wrong.

To be clear: The pursuit is clearly justified and legal. BTW, lots of decisions say that if the fleeing killers run over/hit someone, the blame falls on the fleeing person. Both of those Supreme Court decisions support continued pursuit. The problem as I saw it was very well summed up in this post

I think he did just fine with the exception of the decision to return fire that was essentially un-aimed, fired from a vehicle moving at high speed, in a densely populated area. Those rounds had virtually no chance of hitting the intended target. Just because someone is shooting at you, doesn't mean the default answer is shooting back. The shooting at the end I see no problem with at all. Kill those motherfuckers.
Old 18 July 2018, 17:28
I really don't care

He at least seemed to have enough forethought not to use his left hand to fire his weapon out the window, even though he considered it several times. Way too shakey.

I'm in the "buy him a beer" crowd.
Old 18 July 2018, 17:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
I concur.
Old 18 July 2018, 20:19
Proud wearer of a Beard.

I wasn't there, and I'm not familiar with the backstory, or the Officer's training / experience / policy. As such, I will support his actions, as he got the job done.

That does not mean the incident should be shelved. Even successful incident management should be debriefed, and opportunities to improve should be explored, and all staff in the Dept should be exposed to these lessons.

From watching the video once, and based on my experience, I would have preferred to concentrate on stopping the vehicle first, (containing the incident), and then concentrate on neutralising the threat.

So if I was involved in the post-incident analysis, (which I'm not), I would want to explore policy and training for options to ram/PIT the vehicle first, and shoot second.

At the end of the day, kudos for getting the job done.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:10
Navigating

Quote:
That's exactly why. I had a wild fifteen minute chase yesterday, I know I was talking on the radio but I don't even remember how. The key to not having the chase shut down is to sound bored.
If "umm" comes before "I'm westbound on.." and "not that fast" comes next, fun is over..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Reason #8,247 why I'd make a shitty cop I guess - I watched it and said "F'n A bud, nice job!" at the end
I'm a bad cop..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
When a bullet transits glass it puts a deflection angle on it. As you add distance, the angle stays the same, but by adding distance the deflection in inches/feet increases. When you shoot into a car the bullet only has to travel a couple of feet, so the deflection in inches/feet is very small due to the short travel distance. The same angle at 20' gets quite large.
We shot through a windshield that had such a drastic rake, rounds missed the target 5ft in front of the bumper. It's an eye opener the first time I saw it happen. Really glad to have gone to a class like that. It would be pretty scary not understanding why you couldn't get hits on a target 5 feet in front of your vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCQB.jpg (20.1 KB, 160 views)

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 20 July 2018, 13:23

Never worked a car solo ... the thought alone gives me the meat sweats
Old 20 July 2018, 13:45
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
If "umm" comes before "I'm westbound on.." and "not that fast" comes next, fun is over...
Always give your speed when making a turn.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 July 2018, 23:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
That's exactly why. I had a wild fifteen minute chase yesterday, I know I was talking on the radio but I don't even remember how. The key to not having the chase shut down is to sound bored.
Aint that the truth. Some supervisors are so quick terminate.
Old 27 July 2018, 00:13
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatMedic1981 View Post
Aint that the truth. Some supervisors are so quick terminate.
Holy shit is it 2004 again?!?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 27 July 2018, 07:33
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
To be clear: The pursuit is clearly justified and legal. BTW, lots of decisions say that if the fleeing killers run over/hit someone, the blame falls on the fleeing person. Both of those Supreme Court decisions support continued pursuit. The problem as I saw it was very well summed up in this post

To echo, no issues with the pursuit. No issues with the decision to use of deadly force. I have issues with the reckless way that deadly force was used. The officer fired 31 rounds into a neighborhood and never once impacted his target. That is somewhere between incredibly poor judgment and criminally negligent, depending on Nevada state law.

There are ways to shoot effectively from inside a car, including a moving car. Chances are he has not received that training. There may be a lack of training liability argument to be made ref. Canton v. Harris, but that will play out way down the road in civil court.

I firmly believe the officer did not know that he did not know how to properly fire from inside the vehicle and strike his target. He was under stress, and being shot at. He did a good job of keeping the pursuit together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
We shot through a windshield that had such a drastic rake, rounds missed the target 5ft in front of the bumper. It's an eye opener the first time I saw it happen. Really glad to have gone to a class like that.
I recognized that vehicle graffiti immediately! I was actually attending VCQB Instructor with Will when this shooting happened. We debriefed it as a class as soon as the video was released. Hands down the best vehicle-based gunfighting training I've ever done.

By the way, the suspect was killed by a Detective with a shotgun who was off-frame to the right at the pursuit termination. Neither suspect was so much as grazed by the pursuing officer's 31 rounds fired.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 27 July 2018, 07:49
Authorized Personnel

A couple of questions popped out for me:
Do officers wear earpro full time?
Shooting inside of the vehicle seemed odd, and nothing I would ever consider. Is this taught?

Our new posting rules