SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > Recon Marines

Old 21 January 2020, 22:43
Been There Done That

As I said in the OP, her first real test will come when she joins her team. Just like I told my students when I ran the schoolhouse, "It's harder to stay here than it is to get here." She still has Airborne, Combatant Dive and SERE to go at a minimum, add on MMPS, HALO/HAHO and being told to "slide over the side" at 2300 on a cold February night in 'Sea State 4' 2km from the beach and swim her ass and 90lb ruck to the beach. And that's just to start on a 5-10 day patrol. Standing on the ramp of a C-130 at 25k' MSL at night is no time for vaginitis. Not to mention an 18 month workup that is nothing short of brutal. I wish her luck but just like they say in the gym, "300 lbs is still, 300 fucking lbs and that 300 lbs has to move."
Old 21 January 2020, 23:20
Been There Done That

This is my argument. I’m not saying that they can’t do it, they can. I can’t. Why? I was brought up that women are the weaker sex, hold the door open for a lady, don’t hit a woman, Protect them. Until I can tell my son to treat a woman just like a man. It’ll never be fair. I’ve had 2 situations where I tried to protect a woman to my own detriment.
Old 21 January 2020, 23:36
Been There Done That

I don’t have the words. I feel your pain maybe?
Old 22 January 2020, 12:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
As I said in the OP, her first real test will come when she joins her team. Just like I told my students when I ran the schoolhouse, "It's harder to stay here than it is to get here." She still has Airborne, Combatant Dive and SERE to go at a minimum, add on MMPS, HALO/HAHO and being told to "slide over the side" at 2300 on a cold February night in 'Sea State 4' 2km from the beach and swim her ass and 90lb ruck to the beach. And that's just to start on a 5-10 day patrol. Standing on the ramp of a C-130 at 25k' MSL at night is no time for vaginitis. Not to mention an 18 month workup that is nothing short of brutal. I wish her luck but just like they say in the gym, "300 lbs is still, 300 fucking lbs and that 300 lbs has to move."
I think that this is the only thing that matters and should be decided at the platoon / team level. We've had plenty of experienced guys get sent to the dive locker or boat locker for not maintaining the standard, be it from injury or by their own actions.
Old 22 January 2020, 14:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
I think that this is the only thing that matters and should be decided at the platoon / team level. We've had plenty of experienced guys get sent to the dive locker or boat locker for not maintaining the standard, be it from injury or by their own actions.
This is what I was getting at, personality conflicts must account for 10X the number of issues people get into vs performance. In fact it often seems highly correlated. I am imagining how savage that could get once at a company. *cringe.
Old 22 January 2020, 14:36
Mindset is Everything

We shall surely see how well things go when she has to truly start to live the grunt life. It's different....
Old 22 January 2020, 15:15
Hard to Kill

Obviously a huge difference btx the schoolhouse, where you know that they cannot knowingly kill you while meting a pre-determined standard and that there is a definite start and stop time and an operational environment where you have to do what needs done, regardless of the difficulty. And that it may never end or kill you.
Old 22 January 2020, 22:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Obviously a huge difference btx the schoolhouse, where you know that they cannot knowingly kill you while meting a pre-determined standard and that there is a definite start and stop time and an operational environment where you have to do what needs done, regardless of the difficulty. And that it may never end or kill you.
Exactly. Just like when I was a DI/SDI. You (the Recruit/Recon Student) either meet the standard or you don't. When I was an SDI I had a lot more leeway on shitcanning people. When I was running the schoolhouse I had a foreign stud who failed the swim test. When I was told, "He can't be dropped" by the Navy N-5, Int'l Student Division. 8 weeks later during 'Amphib Phase' this dude went tits up during a Combat Hydro and was frothing blood. We performed life saving measures, transported him to Balboa NavHosp and 4 weeks later he was at graduation. I was livid with my CO and OIC, for putting me and my instructors in that position. He didn't complete the course and I sent him back to Shangri- La with an attendance cert, not a grad cert. Just like the fuckhead students I saw at Ranger and MFF.
Old 23 January 2020, 09:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Exactly. Just like when I was a DI/SDI. You (the Recruit/Recon Student) either meet the standard or you don't. When I was an SDI I had a lot more leeway on shitcanning people. When I was running the schoolhouse I had a foreign stud who failed the swim test. When I was told, "He can't be dropped" by the Navy N-5, Int'l Student Division. 8 weeks later during 'Amphib Phase' this dude went tits up during a Combat Hydro and was frothing blood. We performed life saving measures, transported him to Balboa NavHosp and 4 weeks later he was at graduation. I was livid with my CO and OIC, for putting me and my instructors in that position. He didn't complete the course and I sent him back to Shangri- La with an attendance cert, not a grad cert. Just like the fuckhead students I saw at Ranger and MFF.
Just re-enforcing your last 3 words. Yup. I saw it in both but not so much Ft. Benning. I ran a small company my last year or so active duty. I billeted and graded ALL foreign students APFT’s before sending them to their respective schools. Failed many. Impressed by many. But my word wasn’t questioned.
Old 23 January 2020, 12:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Just re-enforcing your last 3 words. Yup. I saw it in both but not so much Ft. Benning. I ran a small company my last year or so active duty. I billeted and graded ALL foreign students APFT’s before sending them to their respective schools. Failed many. Impressed by many. But my word wasn’t questioned.
Yep. I had a ROK Marine and a Filipino FR Marine who were both badasses and very professional. Most countries won't send a student 8k miles to embarrass themselves/their unit. Egypt is another story. At MFF Chico Chacon body slammed Captain Mohammad on the steal deck of a C-212 after dipshit popped his reserve inside the aircraft. He still graduated.
Old 23 January 2020, 18:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Yep. I had a ROK Marine and a Filipino FR Marine who were both badasses and very professional. Most countries won't send a student 8k miles to embarrass themselves/their unit. Egypt is another story. At MFF Chico Chacon body slammed Captain Mohammad on the steal deck of a C-212 after dipshit popped his reserve inside the aircraft. He still graduated.
My problem was the Turks. At Benning and 1 danger to everyone in MFF.

Sorry for the derail.

Our new posting rules