SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 24 January 2020, 15:22
Confirmed User

So how is this any different than the other "OMG we're all going to die" from the other overblown viruses that the media has promoted before?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 24 January 2020, 15:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
So how is this any different than the other "OMG we're all going to die" from the other overblown viruses that the media has promoted before?
I do not recall them locking down 8 different cities with over 30million people before? All 70,000 movie theaters across China have been closed.
Old 24 January 2020, 15:36
SOCNET Moderator

Found it!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/cdc-...acebook%7Cmain
Old 24 January 2020, 15:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholty View Post
I do not recall them locking down 8 different cities with over 30million people before? All 70,000 movie theaters across China have been closed.
Well the Naval Reserve Center that my National Guard unit is colacated with is locked down now like Fort Knox. It didn't used to be like that but because people keep screaming we're all going to die now it is. What's the statistics of people dying that get the flu?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 24 January 2020, 16:16
Confirmed User

Our leadership sent this out a few minutes ago:

"On January 23, 2020, we identified an individual who recently traveled to China and met the criteria symptomatic of respiratory illness. In an abundance of caution, we placed this person under our care for further evaluation and testing. The testing is being conducted by an external facility, and we expect to have the results in a timely manner.

For the safety of our patients and team members, we have implemented the appropriate infection control precautions to avoid the spread of the potential virus. While we await the results from the test, the patient is being cared for in a contained and isolated unit by volunteers from our infectious disease team who are specially trained in the treatment of patients with novel viruses."

Now, the probability is very high that it is 'just' another, less-severe airborne virus, of which are about 5 dozen floating around over there. But they ain't playing.
Old 24 January 2020, 16:27
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
They didn't occur during a big-D impeachment / coup attempt.
Old 24 January 2020, 16:34
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Our leadership sent this out a few minutes ago:

"On January 23, 2020, we identified an individual who recently traveled to China and met the criteria symptomatic of respiratory illness. In an abundance of caution, we placed this person under our care for further evaluation and testing. The testing is being conducted by an external facility, and we expect to have the results in a timely manner.

For the safety of our patients and team members, we have implemented the appropriate infection control precautions to avoid the spread of the potential virus. While we await the results from the test, the patient is being cared for in a contained and isolated unit by volunteers from our infectious disease team who are specially trained in the treatment of patients with novel viruses."

Now, the probability is very high that it is 'just' another, less-severe airborne virus, of which are about 5 dozen floating around over there. But they ain't playing.
Good to hear they're taking appropriate precautions.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 24 January 2020, 16:59
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Well the Naval Reserve Center that my National Guard unit is colacated with is locked down now like Fort Knox. It didn't used to be like that but because people keep screaming we're all going to die now it is. What's the statistics of people dying that get the flu?
Influenza-Chart-Infographic-high-res.jpg
Old 24 January 2020, 18:20
Confirmed User

Good site to keep up to date without speculation.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ronavirus-2019

Aye.

M.
Old 24 January 2020, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Yep, my ex used to work in the Patent Office and this was routine as far as submissions from NIH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
I had no idea a virus could be patented...

And by the CDC no less. According to the patent timeline, it goes into "Application Status Expired" status *today* - Jan 24, 2020. Tin foil hat, anyone?? Disclaimer: I really don't know what that status translates into - but the doomsayers will pick up on that date.

Regarding the outbreak of the virus itself - this is some scary shit.
Full disclosure: I am a patent attorney, but i deal with electronics, computer hardware, software, etc. I typically don't work with bio-tech stuff and it gets over my head pretty quickly. That being said -

It is not quite a patent on the virus itself. Instead, it is a patent on the genomic sequence of the isolated virus and ways of using that to test for infections. It is a subtle distinction and somewhat legalistic, but that is the way the patent system interprets it.

Just a clerk is correct that these are routine filings from various government R&D labs like NASA, Navy, Air Force, NSA, etc.

It says that it is expired for "Fee Related" issues. This means that someone decided not to pay the maintenance fees to the Patent Office a few months ago, probably because it was determined to not be valuable enough to justify that cost (typically several thousand dollars). In any event, it is in the public domain now.
Old 24 January 2020, 20:08
Confirmed User

China will build a hospital in 6 days. for 1500 new patients.....
Old 24 January 2020, 20:14
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
I know a few people who were legit just short of panicking when the last Ebola outbreak happened thanks to the over the top media coverage.

Death toll is comparatively miniscule so far and they were almost all old. Unless I'm missing some data, I'm not going to get worked up until it starts looking like World War Z outside.
Old 24 January 2020, 20:32
Shakin' the bush Boss

Fuck it. I've already selected the trees to drop across the driveway.
Old 24 January 2020, 22:44
This Is The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRoy View Post
Full disclosure: I am a patent attorney, but i deal with electronics, computer hardware, software, etc. I typically don't work with bio-tech stuff and it gets over my head pretty quickly. That being said -

It is not quite a patent on the virus itself. Instead, it is a patent on the genomic sequence of the isolated virus and ways of using that to test for infections. It is a subtle distinction and somewhat legalistic, but that is the way the patent system interprets it.

Just a clerk is correct that these are routine filings from various government R&D labs like NASA, Navy, Air Force, NSA, etc.

It says that it is expired for "Fee Related" issues. This means that someone decided not to pay the maintenance fees to the Patent Office a few months ago, probably because it was determined to not be valuable enough to justify that cost (typically several thousand dollars). In any event, it is in the public domain now.
Good info - thank you.
Old 25 January 2020, 00:12
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
At first glance to me it's because I see China creating isolation areas and I'm sure quarantining folks and we see it on the MSM. Public Health to me is much scarier than any blood covered scene or highway work. You can't see it, hear it or smell it, but it will kill you and everyone around you....then the circle around them, etc, etc.

Pathologically, coronavirus can be mitigated like other viruses, e.g. hygiene, barrier precautions, masks, etc.

Better over cautious with this stuff than not.
Old 25 January 2020, 09:29
Another pool cleaner

Let's not get hysterical.

If you've had a "cold" at all, it's likely you've had coronavirus, rhinovirus, parainfluenza, picornavirus, adenovirus, or hundreds of other types of viruses.

Use common precautions.

And as my teenagers have recently said as we discussed this latest frenzy, "people need to get a grip."
Old 25 January 2020, 11:41
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
And as my teenagers have recently said as we discussed this latest frenzy, "people need to get a grip."
You've raised them well.
Old 25 January 2020, 15:02
Legal Immigrant

Media's not helping. Every mention of this is using the term "deadly coronavirus".
Old 25 January 2020, 21:54
Swimming Upstream

Saw a news report that that the US is chartering a flight for diplomatic personnel to clear out of the affected area in China.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 26 January 2020, 00:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Saw a news report that that the US is chartering a flight for diplomatic personnel to clear out of the affected area in China.
US Consulate Wuhan is on "Ordered Departure" status. Most USG employees (except maybe 6) and all family members will be evacuated. The USG is required to offer all US citizens the option to be evacuated also. Planning numbers are in the low 100s.

Last edited by DSSRonin; 26 January 2020 at 00:50. Reason: typo

Our new posting rules