SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 January 2020, 12:45
Been There Done That

pffft, what everyone wants to know is will Tom Brady stay or go. If he held a presser at that same time as Super Bowl to announce the SB would have no one watching it. :)
Old 24 January 2020, 15:35

I'd take a final payday and play in sunny California or Nevada where my old body wouldn't hurt as much while I watched my Supermodel wife lay by my pool. The Chargers and the Raiders both have plenty of talent and the markets in both cities would go nuts especially Vegas. The Pats didn't want to spend the money to put skill players around him when it mattered the most.
Old 24 January 2020, 16:58
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
I'd take a final payday and play in sunny California or Nevada where my old body wouldn't hurt as much while I watched my Supermodel wife lay by my pool. The Chargers and the Raiders both have plenty of talent and the markets in both cities would go nuts especially Vegas. The Pats didn't want to spend the money to put skill players around him when it mattered the most.
I'm not so sure the Patriots are guilty of failing to put players around Brady.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engl...riots/cap/2019

His percentage went from the 8.5-9% of cap allocation to 11-12% over the last two years. They had to take it on like that since he had a year he could void. It was a hedge to protect the team if he opted out, that he wouldn't carry a crippling cap hit while playing for another team. He forced NE to make that decision when the opt-out year was put in.

Taking a look at how their 2019 cap management went, it's hard to see a lot of improvements aside from the level of- let's call it questionable risk- that came on the deal to Antonio Brown. Sanu was a more traditional gamble that just didn't bring the ROI they thought (and really won't in 2020 given the way his deal is structured). Their 1st round draft pick at WR didn't work out as well as hoped for either. Without Gronk coming back, they really didn't have the ability to compete for a top dollar TE (Gronk taking his time to decide didn't help). Plus the injuries across the board (Develin was a huge one if you know how he's used in that offense, and Edleman wasn't at 100% most of the season) were a big drag.

It just wasn't their year, and I think it's hard to say they weren't trying to spend money when they were only under the cap by about $5 mil. What kind of magic bullet can you buy with that money in hindsight?

As for Brady in 2020...assuming he still wants to compete for a seventh ring, he should seriously consider the Titans. They already have a great running game (provided they can resign Jack Conklin), a solid defense, and some sneaky good receivers. Brady knows Vrabel, and they both have similar philosophies around football. I think he can work well with Arthur Smith, their OC as well.

If this is a financial decision, Brady should still go with Tennessee. He can get a good enough deal since the Titans have over $50 mil to spend, and he sign for a slightly lesser than perfect amount since Tennessee is an income tax free state. It really is the best of both worlds...he can offer a modicum of a discount because of tax protection, and come to a team that isn't that far off from being a serious Super Bowl threat.
Old 26 January 2020, 11:25
Confirmed User

That’s the dilemma for the Titans. Do they go all in on Brady for a couple of years in hopes of winning a Super Bowl, or go long term with Tannehill? Whatever they do at QB, they’ve got to sign Henry.

I’ve been watching Peyton’s Places on ESPN+. It requires a subscription but I borrowed someone’s login. They’re 20 minute episodes that cover the 100 year history of the league. He has interviews with former and current players. I highly recommend it.

Hard times create strong men.
Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men.
Weak men create hard times.
Old 26 January 2020, 20:53
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
I’ve been watching Peyton’s Places on ESPN+. It requires a subscription but I borrowed someone’s login. They’re 20 minute episodes that cover the 100 year history of the league. He has interviews with former and current players. I highly recommend it.
Wife and I really enjoy that show. (We went for the ESPN+/Disney+ bundle specifically so we could watch that and the Mandalorian.)
Peyton being Peyton is both entertaining and informative. Where else can you see Brett Favre pick up Peyton Manning in the 67 Stingray Bart Starr won as MVP of Super Bowl I, so they can drive to Vince Lombardi's old house and watch film together in his basement?
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 26 January 2020, 21:23
Been There Done That

Did anyone else waste their time waching the Pro Bowl Game? Biggest Touch Me Feel game of the decade.
Old 26 January 2020, 21:42
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
That’s the dilemma for the Titans. Do they go all in on Brady for a couple of years in hopes of winning a Super Bowl, or go long term with Tannehill? Whatever they do at QB, they’ve got to sign Henry.
I honestly think Conklin is more important than Henry, though Henry is worth a good 2nd deal for a RB. Tannehill I'd be worried about giving a big deal. This one very good season could easily be a fluke and I don't think it's replication outside of the Titans power running game is possible. Though it's hard to gauge his true average since I think any time spent in Miami is skewed, and he knows the offense. You just need to be able to jettison him quick if it goes badly.
Old 2 February 2020, 18:58
Been There Done That

Ok, I think that the dust is kicking up in here after that NFL flag tribute with Johnny Cash

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 2 February 2020, 19:26
Been There Done That

and again "America The Beautiful"

till dont understand that. They might as well as sing "THree Blind Mice" if it isn't the National Anthem.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 2 February 2020, 21:38
The atomic zit

If my ass was that big I quit my job and learn to shake it like a Polaroid picture!
Old 2 February 2020, 21:55
Drawing my cutlass

Ok, that Reeses commercial was fucking funny.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 3 February 2020, 00:13
Been There Done That

Old 3 February 2020, 03:53
On the Extract Bird

That’s right. 49ers don’t have to worry about that now.

Andy Reid is about to eat his weight in McDoubles and Big Macs!
Old 3 February 2020, 05:53
Been There Done That

First time Robert Craft is glad he's not back in Miami....
Old 3 February 2020, 07:42
Been There Done That

Was there a big game on or something yesterday?
Old 3 February 2020, 08:01
Moving Target

I only watched the last 7 minutes of the game, it was 20-10 SF then it got exciting. I'm glad KC won.
Old 3 February 2020, 10:48
Confirmed User

I thought it was a great game and was glad to see few penalties and no controversial calls. If Mahomes can stay healthy I think they can win a few more. Jimmy G had a chance to be the hero but choked.

I loved Bill Murray’s Groundhog Day commercial

Hard times create strong men.
Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men.
Weak men create hard times.
Old 3 February 2020, 13:14

Quote:
I thought it was a great game and was glad to see few penalties and no controversial calls. If Mahomes can stay healthy I think they can win a few more. Jimmy G had a chance to be the hero but choked.

I loved Bill Murray’s Groundhog Day commercial
Concur with all above.
Refs did a good job of equitably not calling stupid shit.
Was surprised that go-ahead TD wasn't a bit more controversial, as it was damn close and would have been 4th down.
Chiefs are definitely in a good spot to be competitive for a while. So, I think, are the Niners (despite Jimmy G not being anywhere near in the same class as Mahomes).
And the Jeep Groundhog Day commercial was definitely my favourite.
- Bootsy Collins
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 3 February 2020, 15:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
Concur with all above.
Refs did a good job of equitably not calling stupid shit.
Was surprised that go-ahead TD wasn't a bit more controversial, as it was damn close and would have been 4th down.
Chiefs are definitely in a good spot to be competitive for a while. So, I think, are the Niners (despite Jimmy G not being anywhere near in the same class as Mahomes).
And the Jeep Groundhog Day commercial was definitely my favourite.
Can you imagine the job security after drafting Mahomes? "Let's see...we need a back-up QB, maybe a developmental QB...Mahomes, he's OK, maybe he'll be a 'system' QB...."
Old 3 February 2020, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Can you imagine the job security after drafting Mahomes? "Let's see...we need a back-up QB, maybe a developmental QB...Mahomes, he's OK, maybe he'll be a 'system' QB...."
They moved up to get him, trading with the Bills. Trubisky and Watson were taken before him. The Niners, who needed a QB at that point, traded down to let the Bears take Trubisky, and also passed on Watson and Mahomes.
Probably more job insecurity around the league related to the Mahomes draft.
Drafting Mahomes allowed KC to trade Alex Smith to the Skins for Kendall Fuller, who just happened to have the pick that sealed the Super Bowl for them.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt

Our new posting rules