SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 March 2018, 13:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
First time I went to the "NCO" section of the chow hall in the stumps was 5 months after I got my blood stripes. I immediately noticed that there was a LCpl literally sitting and joking with a group of SNCOs in their chow hall section like they were all part of the same club.
The first time I ate in the NCO section of the chow hall I was jumped on because they thought I didn't belong. Jarheads didn't understand Navy rank; it turned out well enough. But the point is, they were protecting their rightful territory. A LCpl? I never woulda thunk it....
Old 8 March 2018, 14:54
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedder View Post
.. And the first Female Grunt Candidate 'West' is sporting a Pizza Box for her Rifle Badge ... Duly-noted.
I had to look that up. I don't speak Marine.

In the end, I think it's a good thing for every GI or Marine to receive more advanced training in basic/advanced infantry tactics, lord knows I wish we could have scheduled such training while I was in. We stayed current with out basic skills and all that, but when I was deployed I was attached on several occasions to various combat arms branches, mainly the cavalry.

I don't want to say I was a complete fifth wheel when I accompanied them on missions, much of which occurred in a Bradley Scout, but I would have felt a little more up to speed with some extra training.

These days, given how quickly things can turn even for a CSS unit (just ask Jessica Lynch), it seems like the more tactical training you can give all the troops, the better. We can get pigeonholed in our MOS sometimes.
Old 8 March 2018, 21:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I had to look that up. I don't speak Marine.

In the end, I think it's a good thing for every GI or Marine to receive more advanced training in basic/advanced infantry tactics, lord knows I wish we could have scheduled such training while I was in. We stayed current with out basic skills and all that, but when I was deployed I was attached on several occasions to various combat arms branches, mainly the cavalry.

I don't want to say I was a complete fifth wheel when I accompanied them on missions, much of which occurred in a Bradley Scout, but I would have felt a little more up to speed with some extra training.

These days, given how quickly things can turn even for a CSS unit (just ask Jessica Lynch), it seems like the more tactical training you can give all the troops, the better. We can get pigeonholed in our MOS sometimes.
Agree that everyone with a weapon better be able to use it. More than adequate training should be the standard before going into harm's way.

However this is Primary MOS training for an Infantry MOS. 03xx

Perhaps she is an 0341.

ďTyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.Ē
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 8 March 2018, 22:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
The bigger problem is her being greeted by the CO.

Disgrace.
LOL. You think Big Bob, Ski and Naughton wouldn't be out on the Q-deck welcoming PFC Splitail to the unit?
Old 8 March 2018, 22:42
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
LOL. You think Big Bob, Ski and Naughton wouldn't be out on the Q-deck welcoming PFC Splitail to the unit?
Willie T. would have rolled out the red carpet!!!
Old 9 March 2018, 00:09
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Ah yes, the everso subtle putdown of the term Split Tail. Gotta love you retro geezers.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 9 March 2018, 06:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
geezers.
So what's "geezers"? A term of endearment?
Old 9 March 2018, 08:54
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
So what's "geezers"? A term of endearment?
You got it! I'm your Split Tail. Wouldn't it be great if we could have these discussions without insulting women by reducing them to derogatory terms for their genitalia? Those so called Split Tails are serving their country. I don't agree with integrating them into Combat Arms MOS because of the disparity in physical strength, but by God they deserve respect for serving their country and don't deserve to be put down.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 9 March 2018, 09:16
Been There Done That

I don't want to be all White Knight here. One because Purple doesn't need it. Two, because I'm not a saint. In other words my little head sometimes thinks for the big head.

As a father of daughters, I fucking hate the term split tail. It is derogatory and demonstrates a misogynistic character. My girls will kick you in the nuts if you use it on them. They don't put up with that bullshit and will correct you immediately.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 9 March 2018, 09:21
Been There Done That

Well, if you want to go old school my cousin, who was a Marine, married a BAM.
Old 9 March 2018, 09:22
Confirmed User

My father was old school, in the Marines from 54-75. I never heard him use split tail, but he used BAM all the time.
Old 9 March 2018, 09:30
Been There Done That

Yeah, it's not like we don't call or own gendered serviceman limp dick, fuck stick, cock holster et all...
Old 9 March 2018, 09:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Yeah, it's not like we don't call or own gendered serviceman limp dick, fuck stick, cock holster et all...
Good point. I'll slow my roll.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 9 March 2018, 10:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Exactly.
Old 9 March 2018, 10:10
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
That's exactly how I arrived at 3/75. LTC Hensler was there to greet me and shake my hand because he was so happy that I finally got there. Then CSM Jones took me around for a tour and introduced me to all of the Senior NCO's. Everyone was just sooooo nice. It was awesome.
I am literally LOL, and everybody in the office is looking at me, like I'm crazy. HAHAHA
Old 9 March 2018, 17:56
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post

Perhaps she is an 0341.
Or a 4212.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d17CigTPb9Q

"You think you're Mickey Spillane?!"
Old 1 April 2018, 20:58
Confirmed User

so both female Ranger School grads are in the 82nd Airborne.

then what's next?

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2018...women-soldiers
Old 5 April 2018, 17:05
Cynical and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
so both female Ranger School grads are in the 82nd Airborne.

then what's next?

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2018...women-soldiers
I hope to see women who can meet the actual standard like every man who came before them, obtain their desired positions and goals. I donít think so much emphasis should be placed on gender rather, can you do the job and can you meet or exceed the standard that is set forth, with no special considerations or modifications? If she can meet it, give it to her. She earned it like every one who came with a pair. If she canít, send her home just like the broken hearted dudes who will go home because they didnít make it.
Old 5 April 2018, 23:00
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
My father was old school, in the Marines from 54-75. I never heard him use split tail, but he used BAM all the time.
Itís a term that was popularized from the Great Santini.
Old 6 April 2018, 06:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Itís a term that was popularized from the Great Santini.
Movie came out in 1979. Was in use long before that.

Might have been "popularized" by the movie but many today don't know what it is. Cuz got married in 76.

Our new posting rules