SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 March 2018, 13:42
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

cage rattling, Russian style

The weapons section seems devoted to man-portable types so I posted this in the lounge.

The news is reporting the recent test launch of a new Russian cruise missile. News reporters aren't very good at military hardware details (they didn't call it an AR or an AK yet) so they missed out on a few factors that matter.

The missile itself has 2000 km effective range, mach 10 speed, maneuverability throughout the launch profile, a nuclear warhead, and onboard interception countermeasures. The real difference maker is the delivery vehicle, though. It is launched from a MiG 31 BM air defense interceptor, not a bomber.

Why does that matter? Those upgraded MiG 31 interceptors are their primary platform for air defense along the Arctic coast and out over the Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, and Barents Sea. They a very long-range, high-speed planes who routinely patrol all the way out to the edge of Canadian, Alaskan, Icelandic, or British airspace. Their presence over the Arctic, North Pacific, and Norwegian Sea excites nobody because it is a routine thing. There is no need for them to use stealth technology to sneak up on a target when everyone takes for granted that they will be there and unworthy of attention.

What the Russians just demonstrated to a so far apparently inattentive world is that they have on hand the ability to destroy their enemies with essentially un-interceptable missiles launched from planes that everyone has gotten used to already being nearby. That is roughly analogous to the Americans knowing there are communists in Cuba in 1962 but suddenly being informed that there are nuclear-tipped missiles there that can arrive over US cities before any warning could be issued.

The reaction so far from the American and British media, from what I can tell, has been a collective yawn.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 11 March 2018, 14:40
Been There Done That

Have they successfully demonstrated it? Or are they just blowing smoke? I'll be concerned when we know that it works as advertised.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 11 March 2018, 16:02
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
Or are they just blowing smoke?
It might be a mix of blowing smoke and something of actual substance. After all, the маскировка is no hollow word.
Old 11 March 2018, 16:13
Did...did I do that?

The Sun has a piece on it including the video Russia released.

I can't really comprehend something moving at almost 7,000 MPH. I know rockets reach that speed, but they do it with a crap-ton of fuel behind them.

I don't miss this part of the 80s. I just miss the music.
Old 11 March 2018, 16:26
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Well, if it's not about POTUS being evil, or someone in Hollywood screwing to get ahead, or the Russians and Trump connection, I don't think the media cares much... and we all know if they don't care, the people don't need to know.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 11 March 2018, 20:08
Confirmed User

Visit Russia...
Old 11 March 2018, 21:07
Confirmed User

We are worried about North Korea when China is the enemy we should be focused on. They are the ones puling the strings on DPRK and probably in conjunction with Russia pushing the envelop in the Arctic.

Last edited by DB8541; 11 March 2018 at 21:15.
Old 11 March 2018, 22:33
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Have they successfully demonstrated it? Or are they just blowing smoke? I'll be concerned when we know that it works as advertised.
Bingo. Scud missels anyone...
Old 12 March 2018, 00:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
The Sun has a piece on it including the video Russia released.

I can't really comprehend something moving at almost 7,000 MPH. I know rockets reach that speed, but they do it with a crap-ton of fuel behind them.

I don't miss this part of the 80s. I just miss the music.
You actually bought into that story? It doesn't show shit other than a missile being fired from a jet. No way to verify the actual speed from that. Whoop.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 March 2018, 01:00
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Have they successfully demonstrated it?
I hope they still have the old problem of good designs thrown together by drunks using spare parts from washing machines and operated by poorly trained conscripts.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 March 2018, 04:36
I still think I'm fooling everyone

A new Russian missile that is capable of murdering anyone, evading everything, and striking fear into hearts of NATO troops? Nothing new under the sun is it

I do think that Russian military-industrial complex is still an unique mix of Soviet and semi-Western style both in terms of technology and management. They had and probably now have fine engineers and just like in times of Stalin if an institute or military branch is beloved by the currently reigning red tzar they might get all the best toys and all the funding they need. The question might be in whether they are able to field such a system in a number and capability that would be meaningful, or not. Something more than a technology demonstrator.

Last edited by Paul85; 12 March 2018 at 04:41.
Old 12 March 2018, 07:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
That will be the lynch pin.

Mach XX until the fuel expires then a steady decline in velocity as the missile approaches the target or target airspace.

I can only high mach numbers for air launched missiles being accomplished with large rocket motors and small warheads. And that velocity will be be brief.
Old 12 March 2018, 11:24
BTDT

Maybe they are planning to use the Qahar-313 as a delivery vehicle...
...or maybe they are about to call checkmate.

Either way - collusion !!!
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield

Our new posting rules