SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 March 2018, 22:11
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
I'm not sure that it's "copycat" crimes as much as it's the fact that the stories give these little devils "ideas" when they see the results that are plastered all over the media.

For a while it was theaters, then malls, then restaurants, then post offices, etc., etc.,. Whatever the "simple target of the month" is at the time.

Nope...it's devils that get their evil ideas from what they see more than them "copycat'ing" the act.

But, the press certainly aids them by spinning the information for 24 hour cycles while the bad guys sit and fantasize about their evil deeds.

Like I have said multiple times before...nothing will stop them except for physical intervention in the planning phase....
Okay, yeah, but 4 of your 5 sentences says the media IS playing a role. And that's a role IMO that can be changed easily. Or at least attempted easily.

Probably won't happen, but IMO it would be a good start.
Old 6 March 2018, 22:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Okay, yeah, but 4 of your 5 sentences says the media IS playing a role. And that's a role IMO that can be changed easily. Or at least attempted easily.

Probably won't happen, but IMO it would be a good start.
No, I believe that if the media quit talking about school shootings today...they would still happen -- regardless. I was speaking to the belief that they are committing copycat crimes because of the media's coverage which I believe is false. It may help provide them an avenue, if anything, but I truly doubt that as well.

The media will never stop what they are doing now...in fact, it will only get worse.
Old 6 March 2018, 22:54
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
No, I believe that if the media quit talking about school shootings today...they would still happen -- regardless. I was speaking to the belief that they are committing copycat crimes because of the media's coverage which I believe is false. It may help provide them an avenue, if anything, but I truly doubt that as well.

The media will never stop what they are doing now...in fact, it will only get worse.
Got cha.
Old 6 March 2018, 22:58
Confirmed User

I firmly believe that all the coverage and fame the media is giving these killers has an impact on the next shooter/bomber/truck driver...These people are the bad apple kids you've run across who are looking for attention and are too stupid/angry/whatever to get that attention through doing good things. So, yes the fame these guys receive impacts the next one. The media coverage may not be the deciding moment, but it doesnt help the situation. We could get the same pieces of information without any identifying info on the shooter, if the media wanted it.

They dont, not because they wont be able to convey the same facts, but because they wont sells much ad time. Drama sells and there is nothing more dramatic that a kid gone wild killing his friends.

The propaganda machine requires tugging on peoples emotions, not facts for them to make informed decisions.
Old 7 March 2018, 03:31
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Unfortunately, that genie has left the bottle and is never going back in. Too many news feeds and social media, and the competition that it fosters. If there is a story to be had, especially if some entity can be the first to report, then you can bet they will descend like a bunch of piranahs in a feeding frenzy and there's no stopping it.
Unfortunately, I agree with you. It seems that companies these days will not pass up the chance to make a buck even if it means more people might be hurt.

It wasn't always like this. In addition to the example I posted above, car rental companies showed a conscience back in 1993. Tourists were being robbed and assaulted and targeted due the rental car stickers on the bumpers. The marketing campaign for the car company turned out to be a beacon for criminals. In Miami you had people robbed every single day, multiple events around the clock. Finally, when they figured the playbook of the bad guys the rental companies willingly removed the stickers and the crime rate dropped dramatically. This was another example where a company decided to do the right thing, despite loss of financial gain, that resulted in safety for people.

I think those days are over and I really doubt any of the media outlets today have enough of a soul to pass on "the hundred dollar bill in the toilet" if it could prevent the spread of injury.
Old 7 March 2018, 05:28
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
This was another example where a company decided to do the right thing, despite loss of financial gain, that resulted in safety for people.
I haven't met a large, lumbering corporation (including large multinational ones, and I have worked with several) that ever did anything out of noble impulse to do the right thing. Every decision was underlined by careful calculation. If any seemingly good-hearted move happened, it was done for example in hope for ROI in form of positive PR or free advertising in media or to get a heat off their back (usually from politicians or some NGOs if they were large enough and ruthless enough not to get scared by legal skirmishes). I saw lawsuits done by groups of people here in Poland. Lawsuits that ended being moved from one side of the lawyer's desk to the other until either the state moved in and enforced a fine that was maybe impressive for a grassroot Jan Kowalski but not for a large company or the situation died off or there was a settlement (read - giving people money to STFU). Of course some firms are more DGAF-ish than others, I believe. And maybe there are moments in lifespan of many firms when there is a management that is actually willing to do something good for the sake of it. But generally I don't hold any sort of faith in corporations doind the good deed. If it is profitable for them, they will do it. Otherwise, no go.
Old 7 March 2018, 10:21
Been There Done That

We as a society can continue to feed the wolf and hope that we don't get bit or we can systematically starve it.

There is enough evidence to prove that media contagion has a significant impact on this type of crime. Social media has the technology and the right to self sensor these events and the news media can return to following their ethical code. What is lacking is the will to do so because the public does not understand the strong correlation that exists between the two.

If any laws were to be passed I would recommend replacing their names with a random number and if found guilty, I would strike all record of their existence from official documentation, except the details of their crime. Turn them into a void and shun their very existence.

Sure there are sites that will aggrandize them but the majority would not robbing them of the infamy they so desire. Their goal isn't to be 4-chan famous it's to capture the attention of all.
Old 7 March 2018, 13:24
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Disagree. Something happens to a reporter, that is instantly front page news with little regard for whatever else is going on. It's pissed me off for years.
The only time you don't see that is when a reporter commits some transgression, at least when it comes to the offender's newspaper or TV/radio outlet.

It's happened like that in Chicago more than once, and the station or paper where the (many times well known) individual works says barely a word about it, if they say anything at all.
Old 12 March 2018, 03:00
Been There Done That

I notice that NONE of the questions surrounding the Vegas shooting/shooter have been answered in the media. Apparently, none of that stuff supports the narrative. What apparently IS important is that he was a white male with bad, bad, bad types of weapons, bad, bad, bad "clips" (ie:magazines), and lots of rounds of bad, bad ammunition... and (in my best New York accent) there outta be a law.
Old 12 March 2018, 03:14
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The only time you don't see that is when a reporter commits some transgression, at least when it comes to the offender's newspaper or TV/radio outlet.

It's happened like that in Chicago more than once, and the station or paper where the (many times well known) individual works says barely a word about it, if they say anything at all.
You mean multiple DUI Walter Jacobsin or one of the other assholes? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 12 March 2018, 15:10
Never to old to learn

Sacramento Schools TWO (2) of them had call about a shooter, Some ass hole thinking it was a good joke an to get out of school well he is in JAIL now.
Old 20 March 2018, 09:26
Confirmed User

This bullsh*t really needs to stop. Confirmed, however not many details as of yet

hxxps://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shooting-reported-great-mills-maryland-high-school-n858186

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-KJV
Old 20 March 2018, 10:54
Been There Done That

Yes, it would be nice if crime would stop. Thats not really a mass shooting though. One student shot another, then the cop shot the student doing the shooting.
Old 20 March 2018, 11:09
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
This bullsh*t really needs to stop.
This is important.

It's not going to stop. School shootings have occurred throughout our history, and will continue to occur. We cannot stop them, and they will not stop. Why? Because people do bad things sometimes.
Old 20 March 2018, 11:13
Confirmed User

Roger. It just thoroughly pisses me off. I have a teen in HS now, and two young'uns that will be there eventually.

Makes the heart sink, and the blood boil is all.

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-KJV
Old 20 March 2018, 11:27
Reverse Apache Master

Hold up a second! I thought that guy in Florida turned in his AR's so that school shootings would happen #neveragain?

Thank goodness #marchforourlives is coming up on the 24th. 25March onward, we should be violence free.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 20 March 2018, 11:30
Been There Done That

CBS News is reporting this:
A school resource officer exchanged shots with the shooter, the sheriff said. The shooter and the injured student were in critical condition. Another injured student was listed in critical but stable condition, WUSA-TV reports
Old 20 March 2018, 11:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Roger. It just thoroughly pisses me off. I have a teen in HS now, and two young'uns that will be there eventually.

Makes the heart sink, and the blood boil is all.
Liberals have done a good job of conditioning people to think school shootings are somehow different than other shootings. 30 people, including some teenagers will probably be shot in Chicago next weekend and nobody will ever care. If this same student shot the other student off campus, nobody would care.

ETA:Fox just said the shooter has died.
Old 20 March 2018, 11:46
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
ETA:Fox just said the shooter has died.
I love happy endings.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 20 March 2018, 11:50
BTDT

What are the parents of these renegade children doing???
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield

Our new posting rules