Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 March 2018, 12:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Woobie...calling the trusty poncho liner a woobie is just wrong.
Agree. You guys are fags. Or Mingo and I are just old farts. And yes, we had the full load out at in the Boat Units. I still have my poncho liner and jungle boots.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 10 March 2018, 12:24
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
still cant get over the fact that someone let you procreate..
Let me, she was an enthusiastic participant!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 March 2018, 12:24
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I wept a little for the unnamed child.....
Lucky kid, she looks just like me!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 March 2018, 14:09
Confirmed User

Lol, well guess that's what I get for joining after 2000! It's just always been called a woobie and I always thought, who the fuck am I to change the name of such a perfect piece of equipment? :)

Checking out the kid sized ones now. Perfect birthday/christmas gifts.

It's threads like this one that bring a smile to my face and remind me just how old you fu... I mean gentlemen, are and just how young I am.
Old 10 March 2018, 14:17
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Can I get that in white, with the STP logo emblazoned all over it?
Old 10 March 2018, 15:58
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Agree. You guys are fags. Or Mingo and I are just old farts. And yes, we had the full load out at in the Boat Units. I still have my poncho liner and jungle boots.
What about your musket and powder horn?

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 12 March 2018, 09:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
This is just a fancy made ole field jacket liner, right?Made with poncho liner.

I always referred to it as the smoking jacket. My favorite cold weather gear.
This. Called it the same thing over in Hardrock.
Old 12 March 2018, 09:54
Authorized Personnel

Best piece of kit I ever had was a full sized union suit made out of poncho liner - fit perfectly beneath BDUs when in the field. Even had the rear flap for when you needed to drop a deuce if it was -20.

Sold it for beer money on my last day in Korea, like a dumbass.
Old 12 March 2018, 13:44
This space for rent

She will be a millionaire by summer.
Old 12 March 2018, 13:59
Sub Rosa

PG (pre-gortex), we'd have a tailor sew a poncho liner into a wet weather jacket. That bit of gear came in handy during the countess cold and wet hours we'd sit on an LZ or DZ during REFORGER and the countless other exercises throughout Europe. We couldn't hump with it as it was too hot and would lead to heat exhaustion. However, we could sit and be dry AND warm in just about any weather.
Old 12 March 2018, 14:10
Shakin' the bush Boss

You noobs are killing me. Here's my smoking jacket from circa 1985, complete with zipper, pockets and Elvis collar. Still wear it regularly, but the zipper is FUBAR. Best part of the photo? I'm not wearing any pants with my union suit. Some things you can't unsee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoking Jacket.JPG (98.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Gsniper; 12 March 2018 at 14:17.
Old 12 March 2018, 15:41
The atomic zit

I already own a red union suit, the one with fly in back, not the drop down tail gate. I might need one of those jackets so I can be like GSniper when I grown up... :D
Old 12 March 2018, 16:12
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
PG (pre-gortex), we'd have a tailor sew a poncho liner into a wet weather jacket.
Our HAWK unit had a German tailor who'd do those for you. I want to say it was about 25 DM plus the jacket and the liner. Then US Cavalry got into the racket calling them "Grafenwoehr Parkas" and selling them for some obscene price.
Old 12 March 2018, 16:21
giving you a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Fags. It's a poncho liner.

And looking fondly at my old jungle boots as we speak. Pretty worn and I doubt they still fit my ever flattening feet but they took some pretty good mileage in the day.

Last edited by cedsall; 12 March 2018 at 16:24. Reason: More info
Old 12 March 2018, 18:11
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Our HAWK unit had a German tailor who'd do those for you. I want to say it was about 25 DM plus the jacket and the liner. Then US Cavalry got into the racket calling them "Grafenwoehr Parkas" and selling them for some obscene price.
Yea, we used a tailor who worked the dry cleaning shop on post. I don't recall what we paid but it was dam well worth it!

Our new posting rules